Need computer help

iweb

Got a used 17" Toshiba Satellite laptop today and it won't see my wireless internet.

Under network connections it shows: wireless network connection and under that wireless connection unavailable. Atheros AR500 IX Mini PCI wireless adapter

By it shows another connection: 1394 Connection enabled 1394 Net Adapter

Any ideas on how to get that thing to connect to my wireless router???

Got a used 17" Toshiba Satellite laptop today and it won't see my wireless internet.

Under network connections it shows: wireless network connection and under that wireless connection unavailable. Atheros AR500 IX Mini PCI wireless adapter

By it shows another connection: 1394 Connection enabled 1394 Net Adapter

Any ideas on how to get that thing to connect to my wireless router???

Just a shot in the, close the current settings in network connection and then run a new connection with your new set up connected!

Is it disabled? Or on the start tray where the wireless icon is, right click it the click available connections. This should bring up a list of wireless networks near you, double click your wireless network.

** Also on some laptops, they have a switch on the side the shuts them off, verify that this is not the case with yours.

Edited by mineurbiz

one other thing to check is to make sure you have a router that supports the wireless card in the laptop. I have run across times where i have my laptop setup to see only G networks while the access points im on only broadcast B networks or vice versa..

You could have a number of issues. If you have two connections enabled at teh same time, Windows will always try to search for the best connection by default. Disable one connection to avoid your connection issue. The I394 connection is your default connection when you are wired in to the router, disable that connection and enable the Atheros connection. When you want to hook up directly to a router, do the same just disable your wireless and enable your I394. Also, check and make sure that if you have any internet security software i.e. Norton, it is updated, Norton will disable your internet connection if it is not up to date or in a state of panic because it has an error. Let me know if you need more help, well get this figured out

Edited by SandBurro

I feel real stupid but there was a switch on the side that was off. Put it on ON and it works fine. Thanks for the help!

mineurbiz you nailed it and w/o the suggestion I would never have know to look.

I feel real stupid but there was a switch on the side that was off. Put it on ON and it works fine. Thanks for the help!

mineurbiz you nailed it and w/o the suggestion I would never have know to look.

No worries, that is what we are here for, to help eachother out!!!!