Dumont to Primm Ride

Sherfy

Just curious has anyone rode from dumont to Primm? I think it would be a fun day trip. Need your feed back.

That's gonna be legally a little hard.....if not impossible. Which of course makes it interesting:)

The wilderness starts 50' east of the T&T grade which runs the entire east side of dumont. Another starts south on that grade before you reach Valjean. So the grade is out to south as well as east out of Dumont. West maybe a problem and it doesn't matter because you aren't gonna be able to do much even if you reach Baker. The preserve on the other side of 15 is off limits.

North up Sperry Wash then East on Western Talc Rd. will get you to Old Tecopa as opposed to present day Tecopa. If you turned south from there I think there may be a gravel road that will get you out of CA and into Nevada. From there I'm really not sure but encounters with the LEO's might be less severe in Nevada.

Eli

Just curious has anyone rode from dumont to Primm? I think it would be a fun day trip. Need your feed back.

easy, go up wash to date farm, take road over mountain where mine is, drop down into sandy valley(old cima -tecopa road), over mts from sandy valley and drop into primm from west side. there shouldnt be any closed areas and this old road is basically abandoned so shouldnt be problem with atvs. done it many times on motorcycles and never see a sole anyway.

easy, go up wash to date farm, take road over mountain where mine is, drop down into sandy valley(old cima -tecopa road), over mts from sandy valley and drop into primm from west side. there shouldnt be any closed areas and this old road is basically abandoned so shouldnt be problem with atvs. done it many times on motorcycles and never see a sole anyway.

I thought about the old Tecopa RR grade which gets you to either the Gunsight or the Noonday mines but don't know how to get over the mountains without the paved road over Tecopa Pass.

Which wash would that be? Sperry? There's been cable, posts, and signs at Sperry turning you east on Western Talc for several years. Been an ACEC at the barbed wire fence about 3 miles north of Sperry since about 1974. Was so overgrown with Salt Cedar at the T&T bridge location you couldn't even hike it about 7 years ago. Which still leaves you several miles south of the date farm via Sperry Wash. Turning south at Old Tecopa then east runs you pretty much around the mountains. Kind of looked like Kingston and a County Rd would get into you to Primm but that's on a map. I don't know on the ground never tried it.

Eli

dont know what they have closed now, but if you can get to the date farm and take the paved road and go over kingston peak. that road used to be completely over the top into cima road and I-15. you would turn off way before I-15, the road is a biggie to sandy valley and then to primm. alot of access could be closed to the california closing everything.

I thought about the old Tecopa RR grade which gets you to either the Gunsight or the Noonday mines but don't know how to get over the mountains without the paved road over Tecopa Pass.

Which wash would that be? Sperry? There's been cable, posts, and signs at Sperry turning you east on Western Talc for several years. Been an ACEC at the barbed wire fence about 3 miles north of Sperry since about 1974. Was so overgrown with Salt Cedar at the T&T bridge location you couldn't even hike it about 7 years ago. Which still leaves you several miles south of the date farm via Sperry Wash. Turning south at Old Tecopa then east runs you pretty much around the mountains. Kind of looked like Kingston and a County Rd would get into you to Primm but that's on a map. I don't know on the ground never tried it.

Eli

Eli

We did this last Thanksgiving and had a blast! We headed there Fri morning around 9am, made it to Primm around 11:30 for gas and a buffet lunch at Whiskey Petes then headed home!

I don't know the exact route we took, but this sounds familiar. The first part was along the old RR grade that had several washouts and was fairly slow going. Then we got into the mountains on some powerline roads that eventually dropped us down in the valley on the West side of Primm. Headed to the gas station and pulling up next to tourists in their 4-door sedans was priceless!

The best part was handing the valet $20 to watch the cars for an hour or so while we ate lunch!!

It was a blast.

One of the guys we went with had a GPS file of the trip. I'll see if I can get it from him.

Here's a crappy cell phone pic of our cars @ WP's

post-2606-1258526102_thumb.jpg

Ive never done dumont to primm but Ive done so. vegas to goodsprings and then to primm(also sandy valley). We also valet parked at the hotel for lunch..... :beercheers: .....its a very fun desert cruise. Ive heard you can go from primm to laughlin(or searchlight) fairly easy too, one of the hotels there is cool with utv's and ohv's...

Edited by Bryan M

• 3 weeks later...

me and my dad have been trying this for a while now and cant find the way.. ive ridden to tacopa tho.. so if i turned left on that talc road to get to tacopa if i turn right ill go to primm? our dirtbikes are street legal so paved rodes are no prob.. just wanna find a way mainly off road.