2003 chevy tahoe help please

goodguys75

a while back someone on the forum was a chevy tech, i think it was dunefreak, but not sure. I have a 2003 chevy tahoe 2x2. when i drive over a bump with my rear end i hear a clunk, sounds like it could be drive line u-joints or something in the suspention. If i jump up and down on the rear bumper i can make it clunk. Is this a problem with the tahoes or is it just a random thing??? been driving me crazy for the last 5 mo...any input would be great if any one knows what it is or has had the problem before.. i hope the chevy tech chimes in, maybe he knows what is wrong...thanks :?:

a while back someone on the forum was a chevy tech, i think it was dunefreak, but not sure. I have a 2003 chevy tahoe 2x2. when i drive over a bump with my rear end i hear a clunk, sounds like it could be drive line u-joints or something in the suspention. If i jump up and down on the rear bumper i can make it clunk. Is this a problem with the tahoes or is it just a random thing??? been driving me crazy for the last 5 mo...any input would be great if any one knows what it is or has had the problem before.. i hope the chevy tech chimes in, maybe he knows what is wrong...thanks :?:

have you checked your shocks? my wife's 2003 hota did the same thing and it was her shocks....

have you checked your shocks? my wife's 2003 hota did the same thing and it was her shocks....

Check the shock mounts for loose rubber bushings or loose mounting bolts. IF the shocks were bad they would show oil on the bottom portion usually. Make sure it is not bottoming out on the rubber stops between the frame and the rear axle.

i dont think it is the shocks, but i will look a little closer. sounds like when the rear end moves the drive line u joint is making the noise????

If it's a U joint it should cause the vehicle to vibrate, in my humble opinion! A clunk is something that is loose or missing a rubber bushing or something like that! Does it sound like metal to metal or something else?

Is it a clink, a clunk or an oh sh*t???? :idiot:

Damnit I thought I was done with work for the day. :argue:

:idiot: j/k

One very common problem is the driveshaft slipyoke binding and clunking. The splines get dry and stick. Typically it is on take-off from a stop though. You say it makes the noise when you bounce the truck up and down just sitting there? hmm

Have somebody lay under the truck and feel and hear where the noise is coming from. It could be a shock or other suspension component. Can you describe the noise in more detail? Does the driveline make a metallic noise when it does it?

BTW, I've never seen a 2 wheel drive, 2 wheeled Tahoe. (2x2) :idiot::dayum: jk ;)

Damnit I thought I was done with work for the day. :argue:

:idiot: j/k

One very common problem is the driveshaft slipyoke binding and clunking. The splines get dry and stick. Typically it is on take-off from a stop though. You say it makes the noise when you bounce the truck up and down just sitting there? hmm

Have somebody lay under the truck and feel and hear where the noise is coming from. It could be a shock or other suspension component. Can you describe the noise in more detail? Does the driveline make a metallic noise when it does it?

BTW, I've never seen a 2 wheel drive, 2 wheeled Tahoe. (2x2) :idiot::dayum: jk ;)

I thought it was u...it does happen on take off. and i really dont think it is the suspension, going to get a closer look in the am, but i really think it is somewhere in the rear of the driveline.. the noise is around the rear end area and there is no vibration at all.. does this help at all??? thanks alot for your input

I thought it was u...it does happen on take off. and i really dont think it is the suspension, going to get a closer look in the am, but i really think it is somewhere in the rear of the driveline.. the noise is around the rear end area and there is no vibration at all.. does this help at all??? thanks alot for your input

the noise is just a solid clunk, when i back out of my drive way and the rear tires go off the driveway curb it makes a clunk.. and sometimes from a dead stop also, at first i thought it was a transmission issue....

If it's a U joint it should cause the vehicle to vibrate, in my humble opinion! A clunk is something that is loose or missing a rubber bushing or something like that! Does it sound like metal to metal or something else?

Is it a clink, a clunk or an oh sh*t???? :idiot:

If i keep ignoring this i think it will turn into an oh sh*t problem....... :idiot:

I thought it was u...

Yep, but there are a couple other techs from Hend Chevy on here as well...sand~snake & sanddunesaddict

It definitely sounds like the slip yoke is binding.

Here's how to fix it...

1) Open & drink beer

2) Remove the driveshaft (4 bolts at rear u-joint)

3) brake clean the driveshft front slip yoke out and wire brush the splines nice and clean

4) On inside of the slip yoke pack the splines with some STEELCO red grease.

5) reinstall shaft sliding it in and out (hu hu lol) to make sure the grease gets worked in nice and good.

6) finish beer before it gets warm

Yep, but there are a couple other techs from Hend Chevy on here as well...sand~snake & sanddunesaddict

Here's how to fix it...

1) Open & drink beer

3) brake clean the driveshft front slip yoke out and wire brush the splines nice and clean

5) reinstall shaft sliding it in and out (hu hu lol) to make sure the grease gets worked in nice and good.

sounds good. I will give it a try and let you know.. thanks alot for the input, once again you were great help...andre :DDRrocks:

Here's how to fix it...

1) Open & drink beer

Hey dunefreak, in 2005 there was a recall on steering shaft and it took like 3 mo to get the part, my tahoe is making the same clunking noise in the steering wheel, do you think they will fix the problem again....or will i have to pay for it this time...........they fixed the problem, but in the same amount of time it went bad again...thanks again....

The recall was for the intermediate shaft. I don't know if it would be covered again, but I can check on it. We stock the hell out of those. That's wierd it took so long to order. I will find out on monday if I can remember to check. Maybe post or pm me your VIN # so I can pull up the claim history to check on it. ;)

The recall was for the intermediate shaft. I don't know if it would be covered again, but I can check on it. We stock the hell out of those. That's wierd it took so long to order. I will find out on monday if I can remember to check. Maybe post or pm me your VIN # so I can pull up the claim history to check on it. ;)

they said it was on back order and it took a good 3 mo before they could fix it.. i will pm my vin # thanks so much......

Here's how to fix it...

1) Open & drink beer

problem solved, that is wat it was.....slip yoke binding, took it off and there was barely any grease in there...thanks again andre :rockwoot:

for the intermediate steering shaft FIX..go over to dieselplace...a 5 dollar plumbing clamp has solved the problem

I cant seem to find where they talk about fixing the problem...where did you see that in dieselplace ? im not a member of that site....thanks

Hey Andre, I checked on the intermediate shaft. The part # that was installed on your truck was an updated part at the time, but they have since revised and improved them a couple times since then. There wouldn't be any warranty or coverage on the one you had put in since it was quite some time ago and the age of the truck. A new one costs about 104 bucks. I think that is list price though. Let me know if you end up needing a new one. I can save you a few bucks.

Hey Andre, I checked on the intermediate shaft. The part # that was installed on your truck was an updated part at the time, but they have since revised and improved them a couple times since then. There wouldn't be any warranty or coverage on the one you had put in since it was quite some time ago and the age of the truck. A new one costs about 104 bucks. I think that is list price though. Let me know if you end up needing a new one. I can save you a few bucks.

thanks alot pete for your time, i sure will...hope i was not too much of a pest....thanks again andre