009 manual or Vac. Distributor whats better

dunecruzer661

009 manual or Vac. Distributor whats better

i really keep heard thing for both are good or ones better than the other so which is it that better

i have stock 1600 dual port motor with a solex 34 pict - 3 carb.

and a Elec. fuel pump should i use a Press. Regulaor or not

reply or email me Robusedom@aol.com

thankx :ahhhhh:

The 009 is way better. And what type if pressure regulator are you installing? That single carb won't need that much fuel so make sure your only running about 3-5 psi max for pressure.

The 009 is way better. And what type if pressure regulator are you installing? That single carb won't need that much fuel so make sure your only running about 3-5 psi max for pressure.

holley fuel press reg. yea i was figuring about 2 or 3 psi its ajustable

009 was made for VW industrial engines that spin at a constant rpm. Vac advance is for cars. 009 can't sense load on an engine and adjust timing advance accordingly, strictly advances based on rpm. Better mileage with vacuum advance.

The 009 has springs that open under higher rpm thus allowing the timing to adjust.

I have always run the 009 with my vw powered rails and never had a problem.

The vacuum assist might be ok for a stock motor but who cares about mileage in the sand anyways? Ditch the points and condensor and run an electronic ignition if the budget allows. You can get a pertronix set up for under $100. Stick that in the 009 and be good to go.

FE135- Not trying to talk your post down in any way.

The 009 has springs that open under higher rpm thus allowing the timing to adjust.

I have always run the 009 with my vw powered rails and never had a problem.

The vacuum assist might be ok for a stock motor but who cares about mileage in the sand anyways? Ditch the points and condensor and run an electronic ignition if the budget allows. You can get a pertronix set up for under $100. Stick that in the 009 and be good to go.

FE135- Not trying to talk your post down in any way.

I totally agree on the 009 distributor!!!!Run one myself. no problems at all! Fuel pump regulators aren't reliable at those low pressures. I went through 3 of them for my Webers. What kind are your carbs? If not Weber the pressure might not need to be that low! I ended up using an electrick fuell pump then lowered the voltage to get my pump to run slower as not to put too much fuel to the carbs!

the Pertronix are good too. Less trouble than the points and condensor. With the 009 run your timing between 28 and 32 degrees advance at above 3000 rpm's.

Good luck!!!

• 5 weeks later...

009 was made for VW industrial engines that spin at a constant rpm. Vac advance is for cars. 009 can't sense load on an engine and adjust timing advance accordingly, strictly advances based on rpm. Better mileage with vacuum advance.

agreed, but i'm hindered by the fact that i've been working on nuthin' but vw's for the last 30 years. high rpm's the 009 will work ok, but not enuff advance for off-roading where you don't want a flat spot on acceleration coming off of low rpm's. driveability is MUCH better with vacuum advance...especially with the dual pull distributor.....much worse if you have a 1600 with aftermarket exhaust...not enuff backpressure. sounds like that's what he's probly running. people have many reasons for running the 009....mainly they are cheap and not much to go wrong with them, but performance will suffer in my opinion.....BTW...the CORRECT points for a 009 distributor will have a white stripe on that black wire designating higher spring tension to avoid "floating" at high rpm's. coupla tricks if you ARE off-roading it.....keep the plastic disc that it comes with inside....helps keep out the sand/dust.....also there are rpm limiter rotors available in 5850 6500 7200rpm's.(those are the ones that come to mind, there's more) for around 20 bucks you can limit the rpm's...pick your rotor and just keep yer foot planted to the floor when taking those hills. mite help save that motor.

I have run nothing but the 009 in all my sandcars with a VW motor in it. I have never had an issue with a flatspot on acceleration. Keeping Dual Carbs synched is another ballgame in and of itself though. My 2276 in a 4 seat Chenowith would hang pretty well in the drags against other 2 seat VW powered rails. It was geared low and I left in 2nd gear. That thing was very fast off the line.

I guess its all in preference for a distributor. Just my 2 cents on it.