Need Chevy help asap

andydew

My wife's '07 tahoe just had a check engine light come on. I hooked up my little code reader, and it reads P0121. Website says throttle positioning sensor.

1. where can I get one, and how much?

2. where is it located on the vehicle?

3. If I can purchase one, should I exchange it, or are there potentially more issues at hand?

Please advise, I'm out of town for the week, working on 29 palms MC base; my wife needs a car with the kids and all. I have about an hour in the evening, if I drive home, to install.

Also, she wacked her passenger mirror against the garage door. How much am I lookin at for the LTZ pwr. mirror (w/ blinker,)Charcoal paint color?

My wife's '07 tahoe just had a check engine light come on. I hooked up my little code reader, and it reads P0121. Website says throttle positioning sensor.

1. where can I get one, and how much?

2. where is it located on the vehicle?

3. If I can purchase one, should I exchange it, or are there potentially more issues at hand?

Please advise, I'm out of town for the week, working on 29 palms MC base; my wife needs a car with the kids and all. I have about an hour in the evening, if I drive home, to install.

Also, she wacked her passenger mirror against the garage door. How much am I lookin at for the LTZ pwr. mirror (w/ blinker,)Charcoal paint color?

I am guessing here... T/B can be adjusted? it is drivable isnt it? Just a light? Mirror $300... How close was I?

Capt

Yes driveable.

P0121 says its an elctrical output issue...not sure what(t/b) can be adjusted or how?

The wife panicked when the check engine light appeared. I drove home tonight to check it out. read the code, but still don't want to chance her having trouble with me away. hoping to get parts and fix tomorrow night.

mirror can wait, but needs to be fixed any how.

In 07, the throttle position sensor is integrated in the throttle body /actuator assembly. It's not adjustable and you cannot replace just the sensor. First thing to check is for carbon buildup in the TB. That can set that code. Next, make sure your battery is good. Low voltage can also set that code. Other than that it could need a new throttle body or in some rare cases could be a wiring issue.

I got it cleaned up, and deleted the code. She drove it 50 miles or so, and no check engine light; but I still noticed the idle rpms floating up and down. Thinking I'll have to replace the throttle body still.

Thanks for your help! :thumb:

I got it cleaned up, and deleted the code. She drove it 50 miles or so, and no check engine light; but I still noticed the idle rpms floating up and down. Thinking I'll have to replace the throttle body still.

Thanks for your help! :thumb:

No, you probably just need have an idle relearn performed with a Tech 2 scan tool. (Dealer) If that doesn't work, it may need the computer reprogrammed. Sometimes they can be stubborn to relearn after a throttle body cleaning & that is the only way to force it to relearn. Just an FYI: a PCM reflash is covered on 07's up to 100K miles. :) Even a TB should be covered under the 100K powertrain warranty if it ever came to that. ;)

Aww man.

I'll have to call my buddy and cancel the TB I had him order me then. I'm a DIY to a fault. I don't like to have any work done for me, when I can do it myself, but now it's sounding like I should just take it in to the dealership. Off warranty though; only got the 36,000 mile one :thumbsdown:

I was waiting on him for the part, so I guess it's not getting fixed this weekend anyhow. She's driven it a little more, but no light yet. I'll have her take it in this week if she get's a chance.

Edited by andydew

Aww man.

I'll have to call my buddy and cancel the TB I had him order me then. I'm a DIY to a fault. I don't like to have any work done for me, when I can do it myself, but now it's sounding like I should just take it in to the dealership. Off warranty though; only got the 36,000 mile one :thumbsdown:

I was waiting on him for the part, so I guess it's not getting fixed this weekend anyhow. She's driven it a little more, but no light yet. I'll have her take it in this week if she get's a chance.

I hear ya there, but ALL 2007 Chevys are 5 year, 100,000 mile powertrain warranty. Your sales guy never told you?

I'm not 100% sure that a TB is covered, but I seem to remember the last one I did was. I'd have to look it up at work on Monday. Sometimes doing it yourself will actually cost even more. Don't start changing parts unless you KNOW for sure it's bad by way of proper diagnosis.

REALLY? :banghead:

I got something in the mail early this year saying my warranty was running out, and I had the opportunity to re-up it. So was that just the bumper to bumper coverage? Did they offer a split term warranty, having the power train portion last longer?

Also, would front hubs fall under warranty, because I just replaced the right side, and now the left is clapping.

Thanks for the info! :thumb: I'll defineatly have her take it in now

REALLY? :banghead:

I got something in the mail early this year saying my warranty was running out, and I had the opportunity to re-up it. So was that just the bumper to bumper coverage? Did they offer a split term warranty, having the power train portion last longer?

Also, would front hubs fall under warranty, because I just replaced the right side, and now the left is clapping.

Thanks for the info! :thumb: I'll defineatly have her take it in now

Was it from General Motors? There are alot of companies that send those things out trying to get people to buy their garbage extended warranty policies. Many times they don't cover squat. If it was, in fact, from GM it could have been to extend the bumper to bumper coverage like you are saying.

Not sure what you mean with them offering a split term warranty. All 2007 GM's come with 5yr/ 100K coverage on the powertrain only. Everything else (non-powertrain/ bumper to bumper stuff) is covered to 3yr/ 36K miles. Most extended warranty policies don't go beyond 100K. If they do, they usually aren't a good policy and tend to deny alot of claims.

The hubs would NOT fall under powertrain. It's too bad too becauise those suckers are a bit pricey.

There are still a few items that actually bolt to the motor that aren't covered under powertrain, but most motor and trans items are covered.

Was it from General Motors? There are alot of companies that send those things out trying to get people to buy their garbage extended warranty policies. Many times they don't cover squat. If it was, in fact, from GM it could have been to extend the bumper to bumper coverage like you are saying.

Not sure what you mean with them offering a split term warranty. All 2007 GM's come with 5yr/ 100K coverage on the powertrain only. Everything else (non-powertrain/ bumper to bumper stuff) is covered to 3yr/ 36K miles. Most extended warranty policies don't go beyond 100K. If they do, they usually aren't a good policy and tend to deny alot of claims.

The hubs would NOT fall under powertrain. It's too bad too becauise those suckers are a bit pricey.

There are still a few items that actually bolt to the motor that aren't covered under powertrain, but most motor and trans items are covered.

I think it was GM. It looked legit, but I usually pass on the extended warranty options.

Yah, that's what I meant as to the "split term". I did not know about the 5yr/100k mi. powertrain, though. That defineately changes things. When she goes in this week with it, I'll have her get a quote on what the hubs are, as well as her mirror she wacked. Maybe that'll be her christmas present :laughing: