A couple of questions?

Time2Dune

I’m heeding out to Vegas after X-mas and was thinking of loading up the rhino and stopping at Dumont for a couple of days. I have never been there and was wondering if any one had any advice on a spot to camp, or things to check out? I usually go out to Glamis but have wanted to check out Dumont for some time.

Thanks

I’m heeding out to Vegas after X-mas and was thinking of loading up the rhino and stopping at Dumont for a couple of days. I have never been there and was wondering if any one had any advice on a spot to camp, or things to check out? I usually go out to Glamis but have wanted to check out Dumont for some time.

Thanks

Dumont is definitely worth the trip if you enjoy the dunes. Camping is pretty easy, just remember, the closer you get to the dunes, the softer the sand. The camping area is a big flat area in front of the dunes, just pick your spot and set up. Watch for holes and "kiddie tracks", but they are easy to spot during the day.

Good luck and have fun. Post up a report and let us know how it goes.

Once you get passed the ranger station it's just a large flat open desert area before the dunes, so you can park basically anywhere. Of course the closer you go to the dunes the softer it gets, also the left side of the entrance road is more hard packed and rocky than the right side.

The dunes area is much smaller than Glamis, so you will be able to explore it all in a day without a problem. If you have dirt tires on then you could check out the Sperry Wash area which you will see right after you pass the pay station.

Here is the link to the camp map if you haven't seen it...

http://www.dumontduneriders.com/images/grid-map.jpg

the numbers are pit toilets around the camping area.

Edited by Foxysandchick

Unless the Blm shows up again this weekend to fill in the sink holes and clear the mud, rocks and debris from the road it doesn't look passable for motorhomes or large trailers. Not sure if a truck and flatbed could make it, can't tell how deep the 1st river is, but the mud is soggy and deep. There's a large amount of debris on the concrete, 2nd river. Not sure when blm will return, so for now the best area is Little Dumont.