keep your water lines from frezing

TIFFNAUB

does anybody put any thing in your water tanks or flush the lines with anything to keep them form frezing or do i not need to worry about that thanks

Dump the fresh water tank and waste tanks. You need to drain the water heater and any water filter for this to work. I blow my water lines out with about 15lbs of air pressure from a compressor. Then I add rv anti-freeze to the drain traps to keep them from freezing. Beats pumping the pink stuff through the lines if you are gonna use it several times during the winter because you don't have to flush the lines of the pink stuff to get going again. Just add water. Come spring I beach out the water system.

Eli

Edited by eli

Dump the fresh water tank and waste tanks. You need to drain the water heater and any water filter for this to work. I blow my water lines out with about 15lbs of air pressure from a compressor. Then I add rv anti-freeze to the drain traps to keep them from freezing. Beats pumping the pink stuff through the lines if you are gonna use it several times during the winter because you don't have to flush the lines of the pink stuff to get going again. Just add water. Come spring I beach out the water system.

Eli

so i did not flush mine out whats gonna happen

so i did not flush mine out whats gonna happen

How cold is it gonna get this winter????

All I know is I'm not likely to bust a water line no matter how cold it gets and I don't like to flush the pink anti-freeze out before each use. Forgot....most of the newer ones have a low point drain. I open it, close it, do the air thing, and drain it again. Normally don't get anything out of it the second time but just making sure.

Eli

This is Vegas....some people crap out and some win millions. As I haven't won any millions with my luck I'd have busted a water line by now.

Edited by eli

Since I leave mine with water all year for emergency use, I just drain the lines but the tank is full. A 25 watt light is placed by the water pump. When closed up, that light provides more than enough heat in the enclosed space to keep the water line to the pump and the pump itself from freezing. It would take a deep long freeze to worry about the fresh water tank. You would be surprised how much heat 25 watts will provide.

I have been doing this for years and has paid off several times. My motorhome is always ready and I try to keep it that way.

I keep a small electric heater in the space under my sink (where the water heater is) and I set it on the lowest setting which is 40 degrees. I also keep another one of those heaters in the space where the fresh water tank and pump is. It's also set at 40 degrees and that area is also where the shower plumbing (all copper) is and the plumbing going past the tub to the front sink is.

yea, I'm sure it's adding to my elec bill, but it's cheaper than yanking and replacing broken pipes and such.

• 1 month later...

at the very least leave everything open. if cold spell isnt a long one i wont drain fresh. i will leave all the valves open so water will back flow back into tank, or drain out. this also leaves a bit of room in the lines for any water left to expand if it does freeze. when im gettin ready to use moho i will run the heat with all cabinets open for an hour or 2 to make sure all is room temp BEFORE turning on pump. 3 winters now at 3500ft with no probs and MANY snows and freezes.