BITD Vegas-Reno 2006

SandBox_Kid

Well we finally got a chance to help out in the pits for a friend of ours that co-drives an Explorer in the BITD series. It was a lot of fun even though we spent a bunch of time working on the truck. We had to change the power steering pump and flush the fluid at two different pits. But it was a CV boot that got us in the end. We finally gave up at the halfway point in Tonapah not wanting to strand the race crew in the desert with no half shaft available.

fctryblack84 took the following pics. Unfortunately our battery died before the Rhino's started coming through....sorry Kenny!!! :laughoff:

BITD_Vegas_Reno2006_002.jpg

BITD_Vegas_Reno2006_003.jpg

BITD_Vegas_Reno2006_004.jpg

BITD_Vegas_Reno2006_006.jpg

Shortly after the above pic...someone got the bright idea to pull the radiator cap. It looked like a little volcano with the red antifreeze shooting out. :laughoff:

The main driver and owner of the Explorer that we pitted for is paralyzed from the waist down and uses hand controls in his truck. He's pretty amazing and has a little to teach all of us.

Here's a little info on him:

Lance Magin is living his dreams. Despite an injury he received at the age of eighteen while motorcycle racing, the sport he loved most, Lance has proven that, “life is what you make it”.

The first paraplegic to race in the Baja 1000, which he accomplished just one year after his accident and finished 2nd place in his class, Lance has since committed his life to demonstrating what people with disabilities can do.

To help fuel his love for all things fast, Lance competes in the "Best in the Desert Off Road Series", racing a Ford Explorer in the 3000 class in which he finished first in points in the 2005 season. He was also the first paraplegic to obtain a NASCAR license and competed in the Super Late Model division until his love for the desert drew him back. Lance is always willing to take on new challenges when it comes to racing.

Well we finally got a chance to help out in the pits for a friend of ours that co-drives an Explorer in the BITD series. It was a lot of fun even though we spent a bunch of time working on the truck. We had to change the power steering pump and flush the fluid at two different pits. But it was a CV boot that got us in the end. We finally gave up at the halfway point in Tonapah not wanting to strand the race crew in the desert with no half shaft available.

fctryblack84 took the following pics. Unfortunately our battery died before the Rhino's started coming through....sorry Kenny!!! :laughoff:

BITD_Vegas_Reno2006_002.jpg

BITD_Vegas_Reno2006_003.jpg

BITD_Vegas_Reno2006_004.jpg

BITD_Vegas_Reno2006_006.jpg

Shortly after the above pic...someone got the bright idea to pull the radiator cap. It looked like a little volcano with the red antifreeze shooting out. :laughoff:

The main driver and owner of the Explorer that we pitted for is paralyzed from the waist down and uses hand controls in his truck. He's pretty amazing and has a little to teach all of us.

Here's a little info on him:

Lance Magin is living his dreams. Despite an injury he received at the age of eighteen while motorcycle racing, the sport he loved most, Lance has proven that, “life is what you make it”.

The first paraplegic to race in the Baja 1000, which he accomplished just one year after his accident and finished 2nd place in his class, Lance has since committed his life to demonstrating what people with disabilities can do.

To help fuel his love for all things fast, Lance competes in the "Best in the Desert Off Road Series", racing a Ford Explorer in the 3000 class in which he finished first in points in the 2005 season. He was also the first paraplegic to obtain a NASCAR license and competed in the Super Late Model division until his love for the desert drew him back. Lance is always willing to take on new challenges when it comes to racing.

nice pics :slap: the top pic of yellow truck is my friend Tom....yea Lance is a good guy I know him well I actually helped him fix his old 7 truck the ranger after the front fell apart..lance is a great guy definitely a dedicated racer :idiot:

We raced VtoR on a motorcycle It was ok to many un-marked dangers for the bike I think. Nothing like running about 90mph on a rolling two-track and have a pile of rocks pop up over the rise. Still had fun even with all the problems we had nobody got hurt that's allways good.

The whole time I was thinking this would be a blast in truck or buggy.

Edited by Dunerocket

We raced VtoR on a motorcycle It was ok to many un-marked dangers for the bike I think. Nothing like running about 90mph on a rolling two-track and have a pile of rocks pop up over the rise. Still had fun even with all the problems we had nobody got hurt that's allways good.

Yea there is times bitd doesnt mark the course to great :bawl: but then again other trucks take out the markers :flipoff: I race class 8 and still have hit some areas that we came up on and were like "oh sh!t"

I don't know about that. The guys in the truck were pretty worn out from all of the silt. You could see it on their faces when they stopped at the pits in Tonapah. They said there was at least a 10 mile stretch just before Tonapah of nothing but silt. :flipoff:

Yea there is times bitd doesnt mark the course to great :laughoff: but then again other trucks take out the markers :bawl: I race class 8 and still have hit some areas that we came up on and were like "oh sh!t"

coming up on a oh sh!t area during a race can never be a good thing! :laughing::flipoff:

I don't know about that. The guys in the truck were pretty worn out from all of the silt. You could see it on their faces when they stopped at the pits in Tonapah. They said there was at least a 10 mile stretch just before Tonapah of nothing but silt. :flipoff:

Its true and its about a mile wide from everyone getting stuck and trying to take a new line

If they stayed in the throttle they wouldnt get stuck :bawl:

I have always wanted to do some off road racing but could never come up with the fundages to get it going... maybe one of these days i can get a ride in one of these sweet trucks and get hooked into another sport!!

Its true and its about a mile wide from everyone getting stuck and trying to take a new line

If they stayed in the throttle they wouldnt get stuck :bawl:

Yeah our race team at arrived at Tonapah and said there was a bunch of people stuck in the silt just before Tonapah. They would have stopped to help, but they are only running 2wd and didn't want to get stuck themselves. They actually had to stop every so often to clean their lenses and wipe the silt off of the hood so they could continue.

One guy waiting for his team at Tonapah said they were stuck for over 3 hours!!! :flipoff:

I have always wanted to do some off road racing but could never come up with the fundages to get it going... maybe one of these days i can get a ride in one of these sweet trucks and get hooked into another sport!!

If your up for a ride ..The yellow truck on top pic is my buddy's new truck he just bought it about 4 months ago little faster than my truck was..when its out testing I can get you some seat time in it..its a good ride :barf:

If your up for a ride ..The yellow truck on top pic is my buddy's new truck he just bought it about 4 months ago little faster than my truck was..when its out testing I can get you some seat time in it..its a good ride :barf:

in lances truck i got like 20 min of going with em to test it till the sterring pump went out and leaked..it was fun

• 1 month later...

I finally got some pics of the truck itself during the Vegas to Reno race from the co-driver and friend of mine........

Just off the trailer at the start line....isn't she purrrty!!

Start.jpg

On the approach to Pit #3.....

Pit3approach.jpg

Somewhere around Pit #6 or #7......enough of the silt already!!!!

Last.jpg

We're gearing up for the next race which will be the Las Vegas 300 on October 14th!! :rockwoot: