Fuel and turbo system question

FE135

I have been chasing a fuel system demon all season. I've fixed the fuel tank issue (bad sump location) replaced the fuel pump (wouldn't build pressure reliably). Last two trips I noticed some stuttering at high rpm. I was able to glance at the fuel press gauge in the rear view mirror and noticed some flux when it happened. OK, the only thing left, the regulator. I installed an Aeromotive A1000 reg and adjusted the pressure (60PSI). Went to start the car,, a few starter rotations and varoom, starts right up. This car has never started right up when cold. I usually have to mess with the throttle a bunch. Just ask Travis, he thought I was firing guns off in my trailer with all the popping before it starts. Maybe I'll get to rev it out now. I've been babying it so it doesn't sputter. Now you have the history and hear is the question:

What type hose do you all use between the manifold and the fuel regulator? The old one was cloth braided and they don't have it at Autozone. The boost reference nipple is on the other side now and my hose isn't long enough. I max out at 10lbs of boost and thought regular vacuum hose might not hold. So looking for what works well for you guys. Thanks

I have been chasing a fuel system demon all season. I've fixed the fuel tank issue (bad sump location) replaced the fuel pump (wouldn't build pressure reliably). Last two trips I noticed some stuttering at high rpm. I was able to glance at the fuel press gauge in the rear view mirror and noticed some flux when it happened. OK, the only thing left, the regulator. I installed an Aeromotive A1000 reg and adjusted the pressure (60PSI). Went to start the car,, a few starter rotations and varoom, starts right up. This car has never started right up when cold. I usually have to mess with the throttle a bunch. Just ask Travis, he thought I was firing guns off in my trailer with all the popping before it starts. Maybe I'll get to rev it out now. I've been babying it so it doesn't sputter. Now you have the history and hear is the question:

What type hose do you all use between the manifold and the fuel regulator? The old one was cloth braided and they don't have it at Autozone. The boost reference nipple is on the other side now and my hose isn't long enough. I max out at 10lbs of boost and thought regular vacuum hose might not hold. So looking for what works well for you guys. Thanks

Neal,. I'm curious, what is your motor and what fuel pump pressure is your pump capable of? On my first turbo injected car the pump was over 200 dollars and put out a ton of pressure and huge volume, to be regulated by the regulator. From the regulator to the fuel rail mine was a steel line! Is your tank vented??

Neal,. I'm curious, what is your motor and what fuel pump pressure is your pump capable of? On my first turbo injected car the pump was over 200 dollars and put out a ton of pressure and huge volume, to be regulated by the regulator. From the regulator to the fuel rail mine was a steel line! Is your tank vented??

Mine is a Mazda rotary 13B. My pump will do 90psi. It's a big overkill Aeromotive pump. My tank is vented and my lines are all steel braided AN.

The normal vacuum line will work fine Neal.

I have been over 20psi and still have 0 zip ties on the hoses.

Great, don't have to get some special order overpriced stuff. Thanks!

Great, don't have to get some special order overpriced stuff. Thanks!

I give up! A friend had the

Rotary and had so many problems with getting it to run consistantly that he just went to a Subaru.

Not a suggestion, just a comment!

I give up! A friend had the

Rotary and had so many problems with getting it to run consistantly that he just went to a Subaru.

Not a suggestion, just a comment!

I love the rotary! Very light, massive rpm range, no rods to through, plenty of power. The rotors only spin at one third the rotation of the crank. At 9000 rpm's the rotors are doing 3000 rpm's. No valves. Follow some basic rules and they live.

My comment was based on never having a turbo before. I was worried about the vacuum line balloning or something. Anyone could have bad fuel regulator.

The only thing I don't like is I can't get parts at autozone which is the only auto parts place near me. Plenty of online places. Napa has tune up parts in stock 30 miles from me. Spark plugs are at the motorcycle shop. I guess another complaint is it's loud. But, I don't have much of a muffler anyway.

I love the rotary! Very light, massive rpm range, no rods to through, plenty of power. The rotors only spin at one third the rotation of the crank. At 9000 rpm's the rotors are doing 3000 rpm's. No valves. Follow some basic rules and they live.

My comment was based on never having a turbo before. I was worried about the vacuum line balloning or something. Anyone could have bad fuel regulator.

The only thing I don't like is I can't get parts at autozone which is the only auto parts place near me. Plenty of online places. Napa has tune up parts in stock 30 miles from me. Spark plugs are at the motorcycle shop. I guess another complaint is it's loud. But, I don't have much of a muffler anyway.

Good Luck Neal, I hope you find your "glitch"!

Good Luck Neal, I hope you find your "glitch"!

Glitch found, all fixed.

Bert, I found at NAPA the exact same vacuum line that was on the car originally. It's diesel truck fuel return line. Has the same cloth covering as the old stuff. Gotta love NAPA, seems they always have what ya need.