Caught it just in the nick of time

dunefreak

Over the last year or so my XR has had this funky valvetrain noise intermittently when hot. I thought it was the auto-decompression unit activating when it's not suppose to but after 3 days of research and 2 teardowns later, I found it to be a loose exhaust valve seat! shocked2.gif

I am way lucky I caught it when I did. It could have damaged ALOT of crap!

IMG_2599Medium.jpg

2011-07-16_19-00-59_390.jpg

So now that I have no dunes AND no DS bike to ride I'm going crazy. I ordered my parts up tonight and will be dropping the head off tomorrow. The only good that is coming from this is the bike should run quieter, smoother and should run stronger. I am going to throw a hot cam in while I'm at it.

I've heard just throwing in a hot cam will wake any bike up. My buddy keeps trying to talk me into throwing one in my raptor but I'm scared it will make a already reliable bike unreliable. Let me know how yours works after you do it.

I've heard just throwing in a hot cam will wake any bike up. My buddy keeps trying to talk me into throwing one in my raptor but I'm scared it will make a already reliable bike unreliable. Let me know how yours works after you do it.

Your bike doesn't need it. You weigh nothing and already have plenty of power. laughing.gif

Only reason I am doing one to this bike is because it is an overweight pig and could use a little more juice. That and because I am already in there. Otherwise, I'd leave it alone. I have always believed in leaving the internals stock and just riding the piss out of it. Just look at my Raptor.

I would not use a hotcam, but putting in a cam will not take the reliability away from your Raptor.

Your bike doesn't need it. You weigh nothing and already have plenty of power. laughing.gif

Only reason I am doing one to this bike is because it is an overweight pig and could use a little more juice. That and because I am already in there. Otherwise, I'd leave it alone. I have always believed in leaving the internals stock and just riding the piss out of it. Just look at my Raptor.

Pete did you determine who you are sending the head to?

Pete did you determine who you are sending the head to?

Yeah I went down the street from my work to Baker Cylinder Heads. Aaron recommended them. Him and our buddy Mike both had really good work done recently by them. I dropped the head off this morning and they said it shouldn't be a problem to replace that seat. They're going to check the other ones to see if they need replacing as well. Then a full valve job, new valve seals and clean it up and I should be good to go. The guides seem ok so that should be all I need. headbang1.gif

Yeah I went down the street from my work to Baker Cylinder Heads. Aaron recommended them. Him and our buddy Mike both had really good work done recently by them. I dropped the head off this morning and they said it shouldn't be a problem to replace that seat. They're going to check the other ones to see if they need replacing as well. Then a full valve job, new valve seals and clean it up and I should be good to go. The guides seem ok so that should be all I need. headbang1.gif

Good deal, glad that you were able to find someone local for that!