Afternoon Drags At Dumont

JoeDuner

Guys/Gals,

I enjoy the drags at Glamis when I watch from a few rows back. They get pretty crazy, great fun looking at cars/bikes/people. However, my feeling is to keep the crazy's at Glamis. The Rangers have a field day writing tickets at the drags. I cant imagine what will happen when a car breaks an axle and violently veers into a crowd. I have seen bikes and quads running, and buggy's in wheel stands right on their a$$. I know what kind of pressure the tree huggers are putting on closing the dunes, so I dont consider it wise to give them anymore fuel for the fire. Alot of people I talk to that typically go to Glamis always say the same things....Dumont is to small, no drags, to many witches eyes, older crowd. Its for three of those reasons why I go there. My point is, we should be careful for what we ask for. Hangin at Comp Hill and watchin cars/bikes/quads run in a much safer enviroment is cool with me. Maybe there is a hill at Dumont that is long enough to drag, and that we could roll over and return down a safe path, and yet allow people to sit back and watch safely?????? Do a search for drag videos at Glamis, and see if this is what we want our teenagers getting so excited about to go watch. Sorry for sounding so old(37), I just cringe at the thought of more people, accidents, dune closure. My .02

What kind of infractions do they write?

You name it. Open container, registration (incorrectly applied) wrong color flag, wrong flag height, operating at unsafe speed next to camp (is it not a camp when there is a crowd gathered). Example, a friend of mine had just pulled out a Newcastle (glass bottle) to pour it in a cup, Ranger saw the glass and made him pour it out. This was not some kid that would probably leave the bottle behind, but a responsible duner that brought his preference in a cushioned cooler, that he was taking back. If a Ranger asked to see inside your Ice chest, and finds a couple of empty beer cans, you tell me; what kind of ticket can he write. Maybe spark arrestor? It more of a matter of being hassled becuase they are trying keep the crowd under control.

You name it. Open container, registration (incorrectly applied) wrong color flag, wrong flag height, operating at unsafe speed next to camp (is it not a camp when there is a crowd gathered). Example, a friend of mine had just pulled out a Newcastle (glass bottle) to pour it in a cup, Ranger saw the glass and made him pour it out. This was not some kid that would probably leave the bottle behind, but a responsible duner that brought his preference in a cushioned cooler, that he was taking back. If a Ranger asked to see inside your Ice chest, and finds a couple of empty beer cans, you tell me; what kind of ticket can he write. Maybe spark arrestor? It more of a matter of being hassled becuase they are trying keep the crowd under control.

Harrassment as a form of crowd control. Nice abuse of power. I'll pass. :barf:

Unfortunatley its true @ glamis... I dont see there being as huge of a crowd like there is at glamis... just my 2 cents... but whatever if we do it or not... just more time to go duning if we dont.. :D

It is not crowd size it is the activity. If you put a group of people in harms way(racing side by side with crowd right next to the race without protection) you will see a large change in the way LEO's act. It becomes a PIA for them and after you haul a few broken bodies out it will get very ugly. Be afraid of what you wish for!

If you invite a bunch of "flatbillers" to race you going to get the litter,fights,accidents and everything else the enviro's need to close us down. Then how much will our high dollar toys be worth?

Let's keep this little slice of heavan for ourselves and let the people who want this kind of action go to Glamis. :barf:

As much as I see this as a really good time, I have to agree with ynot and racertim23. It might start off as a good time, but I too think that it would just cause problems in the end. There is usually enough going on at comp hill for me anyways. I plan on going to Dumont for years to come and hope that it is the same place then as it is now. If I really wanted that whole crazy scene, I'll take a drive down to G on a holiday weekend. Until then, I like the Dumont atmoshere and plan on staying there. :D