Ford And GM To Merge?

SandBox_Kid

I caught a glimpse of this on CNN and wanted to see what some of you thought about the following article:

DETROIT - Executives of General Motors Corp. and Ford Motor Co. have discussed a possible merger or alliance, the trade journal Automotive News reported Monday. Both companies declined comment.

Automotive News quoted what it said were several people familiar with the talks as saying that discussions involving senior executives began in July and are not taking place now.

The journal quoted one source as saying that GM Chief Financial Officer Fritz Henderson and his Ford counterpart, Don Leclair, discussed a GM-Ford alliance in August.

The report comes as GM and Ford have been slashing their work forces and closing plants in efforts to reverse multibillion dollar losses. Their sales have been hurt by competition from more fuel-efficient models from Asian automakers.

As the two biggest U.S. automakers, any deal would presumably face scrutiny by U.S. antitrust regulators.

Such a merger would end one of the greatest American rivalries: Ford vs. Chevy. But such a move may be exactly what is needed to allow the U.S. auto-industry to compete with its rivals on the international level.

Interesting..... What if the merger went through?

That would be great! Then I could buy a new Ford at GM employee pricing. Wouldn't that be fantastic! Think of all the t-shirt and sticker guys that would go out of business due to no Ford VS Chevy garbage! :banghead::laughoff::laughoff:

ya but it would still overheat, blow headgaskets and have bad trannies.. LOL

Funny thing about that is I have never had any issues with my 2003 (well it blew a turbo one night) but all in all I am very happy with my Ford and the one before that. I don'y\t think I will ever go back to GM even with the employee discount.

I'm with Terry...only problem I've had with my 02 PSD is the high pressure oil pump, which was defective from Ford when I bought it. That thing pulls and keeps on pulln'

My wife has a Yukon and she loves it...I guess it's whatever fits you and does what you want.

I hear that Toyota is coming out with a diesel that's supposed to out pull any American diesel...we shall see

Well hell terry........ Maybe if you didnt drive the truck like a lil ole lady... I know it can handle a lot more than the way you drive it!

:laughing::laughing: :freakin_nuts: :idiot:

hahahahaha

Yeah I know I have been accused of driving like a little old lady(wait till Mikey has to fix what he breaks :blink: ) he will understand then!

I'm not a Ford or GM hater but:

Ford is in far worse shape then GM.

GM has some nice stuff coming outta the pipeline:

8 liter Big Blox diesel w/450 hp and 900 lbs torque, rumored to be in '09 trucks..

The Toyota built/owned/designed Borg Warner HD Auto trannys are brutal.

Jeep used them on a limited availability towing package test run and they were awesum.

They'll be hitting the American shore soon in the 3/4 and 1 tons Tundras.

The Ford dealers were whores with the T Bird, holding out for $15K over sticker on an already high priced car and that shut the whole program down. People bought BMW's instead.

This is the stuff that kills companies.

Have you priced the Shelby Mustang? $25K over sticker. And Ford crys low sales??

GM, though they have pension problems, about 4 plus years ago started the Phoenix Pension Recovery Program and they're not is as bad a shape as the news media makes them out to be. Ford is.

The new GM trux finally have nice fit and finish to their interiors. Finally.

Styling,, well that's a matter of opinion. The Aztex and the Avalanche have to be held partially to blame for GM's low sales woes. Scarry looking high priced mistakes. Cost the company wheelbarrows of cash to develop.

Where the hell is Ford with innovation?

They were one of the very first companies to build engines, and they don't even offer their own diesel.

They've givin up,, using others off the shelf stuff, and brother did that backfire with the powerstroke.

Japan is about to kick their a$$ once again. Not like Ford & GM hasn't been through it before, or didn't see it coming.

Hate to see it, but they have to merge or do something drastic to stay afloat.

Edited by Ross and Alice