Build/rebuild

Sandjoker29

So i'm in the process of building a rail. Let's start at the beginning with the first one to be built. Find on ebay make a deal and wouldn't you know it this thing is in colorado. So what is the proper thing to do call your buddy and say hey i bought this frame but it is in colorado we need to go get it there and back in one day.Sure no problem right, well on the road it january and 25 degrees outside that was a fun trip there and back in 20 hours.As time goes on gather parts,and then life throws you a curve ball. Dad gets diagnosed with cancer and after 6 months of chemo they realize they can't get in front of it.I go to San diego for hospice set up and to talk to dad.Here's the thing he was also building a rail to get back to the dunes together and after he realized the situation he decided to give me his parts for me to build mine. Those parts were new paddles,new razors, 1835 with 44 weber,fuel tank , pedals,and 3 rib trans. Ok now we can start building and realize the frame is built wrong. Alright no problem just cut the front end and extended it,nope the frame will be 16 ft long,that's not happening. Side line this frame and buy a new one perhaps a expedition frame and go from there.Hit up craigslist and sure enough frame in phoenix with lots of parts and some of you might have seen it. So make the deal and off to get it one night after work there and back.Ok so now were ready to go lets check the parts and put them in first the trans and something keeps skipping when turning the input shaft pull it apart bad ring and pinion rc trans 900.00 to rebuild bummer back to craigslist.Search for trans run across 5 rib trans 160.00 no way misprint call the guy and nope he says it was in my manx for the sand but i sold it so here you go, oh ok i'll take it. Ok so here we are the new frame and sure enough torsion bent and bulk head bent. Now there is only one thing to do now cut and rebuild, so time to get out the welder,notcher,chop saw,and grinders. Pics to follow the last one is where i am at as of today.

post-4505-0-79111400-1384060456_thumb.jppost-4505-0-04276200-1384060472_thumb.jppost-4505-0-80591700-1384060618_thumb.jppost-4505-0-86225900-1384061024_thumb.jppost-4505-0-03594800-1384061152_thumb.jp

I built my first car too. It was a ton of fun, and a pain in the :booty: as well...as I built mine, found out the used stuff I bought wouldn't work right; 1 step forward, 2 steps back kinda thing. I changed the suspension from beam to 20" travel A arms front and rear. I stretched an old high jumper frame into a 4 seater. I learned a lot about fabrication, and heim angles, and trial and error. In the long run, I had $25k tied up in it, and took a substantial loss, but I look back at it as good times. I enjoy build pics, so keep them coming!