Anyone tried a cellular booster with AT&T

markha

OK... So I switched to Verizon when we started going to Dumont so that I would have cell service, but I hate Verizon because of the no data while on the phone thing. Also, the rest of the family is still on AT&T.

So thinking about getting one of the cellular boosters like the weBoost Drive 4G-M Cell Phone Booster Kit for the RV.

But these things are like $380 and I really don't want to buy it, install it, and then find out that I still can not get a signal when out there.

Anyone tried anything like this with any leave of success?

i used a small 24db booster when I was with Sprint. Sprint Roams on Verizon anyway as Sprint has no towers out there. It did work on off weekends and if your parked in the right areas. On a busy weekend the towers get over loaded either way.

I have been looking at a better booster that does 75db and will most likely have that for next season when we are on vendor row.

We switch our company phones to Verizon for service while vending, and while having fun. Much better then Sprint was.

The trick will be finding out if AT&T has actual towers of their own, or if your roaming on Verizon. They know your roaming and slow those first.

You can't just roam on other towers, without them both using the same band (CDMA, TDMA, GSM, ect). When you talk about them not having their own towers, they still have their own equipment, just not the other physical tower, they hang their antennas on others towers. Supposedly Verizon has an agreement to provide service for emergency services and that is why it works there? Markha you should be able to talk on the phone and have data, unless you are in 3G mode, but if you are on 4G, then you should be able to do both.

Edited by mineurbiz

OK...Guess I should have been more specific.

I have had AT&T and Verizon both for many years. The issue with Verizon is that you have to be on LTE to use what they call "Advanced Calling" which is voice and data at the same time. Not an issue while in Dumont but an issue for every day life. The reality is that it still does not work very well. AT&T is much better at this. I don't work for either one, it is just the facts. However, AT&T sucks in Dumont! It is not a matter of roaming. You can not get a roaming signal from Verizon on an AT&T phone in Dumont.

So... a few options.

1. Stay with a Verizon phone and just live with the day to day issues to have service needed while in Dumont.

2. Switch back to AT&T and try a signal booster and hope that this picks up enough of a signal to boost to be able to work for voice and data.

3. Switch my phone to AT&T and buy a Verizon MyFi type hotspot for Dumont when I need data and need to work.

4. Switch my phone to AT&T and take a burner Verizon phone to Dumont.

Seems like option 2 would be the best if the booster works out there. It would then help in other locations also.

Thoughts? Anyone actually had luck with AT&T and external antenna or booster in Dumont?

• 2 weeks later...

A signal booster does not work! I have 2 of the Wilson cellular ones, a vehicle mount and a portable one with external antenna both set for 4g LTE. Still lost signal right around the power poles outside of Baker. I used a Verizon burner until recently when I switched back to Verizon. Their roaming and rural area coverage is so much better I'll suffer through no data while on the phone.