Trailer Brakes

Co-Driver

I went out to State Line today and brought out the big hauler(SLC 3905). On my way home I stopped at the paved road just to do a quick 360(visually). When I got back in my 06 F-350 this question poped in my head :icon_twisted: .

When I took delivery of my trailer the integrated<sp> brake controller was set to 10 and thats where I've left it at.

What do you haul and what with? What do you set your trailer brakes at?

I would imagine that 10 would lock up the trailer brakes at the very touch of the pedal. The way to set them is go down the street about 25 mph and then use the brake control lever and see if the brakes lock, if they do there to high, if they don't do enough turn it up a little. I use my trailer brakes to augment the pull vehicle. Mine is set at about 2 for the flat bed and 3.0 with the stacker. But I do test them every time as I am heading down my street.

The factory trailer brake controller on the Superduty is awesome, and is probably compensating for being set at 10. A light touch on the brake only sends back a small part of 10.

If it feels like your truck is being slowed down by the trailer, the number is too high.

We have the prodigy digital brake controller. Works great! Normally, we have it set between 2.5 and 3.0. Anything higher and the trailer is breaking the truck. We have a Dodge 2500 Cummins Diesel with upgraded Banks exhaust. Dry weight on our trailer is about 8600 lbs. Loaded, with water, fuel and toys it's probably about 11,000 0 11,500 lbs (although we've never weighed it ourselves).

:thumb: