pulser coil

superdave

a few years ago we went to dumont for pres. day weekend i think and out of the blue my yamaha warrior would not start after unloading it. had run fine up until that. well i hate electrical and just guessed that maybe the cdi went out. bought one off ebay, put it on and it fired right up. went to ride that weekend and same thing. no spark. took the cdi box i bought and the original one to the yamaha store because they had a used warrior out on the lot and asked if they could plug them in to it to see if they worked. maybe they did, maybe they didnt but he said they were both junk. so i spent the big bucks and bought the whole new stator assembly, the only way to get the pulser coil and a new cdi box and everything was fine for a few years. then it started the same crap again. would run fine then just die and not start. then it would start later and run fine for a while. tried a new coil, same thing. then it wouldnt start at all. a very weak spark. tried an aftermarket cdi box and no luck. then found an aftermarket pulser coil for 40 bucks on ebay which you can splice into the system. bingo. if you have ignition problems on your quad or bike this could be the problem. certainly worth trying before forking out for cdi boxes or stator assemblies. i always learn the hard way it seems. :(

Pulse coils, like any coil can have a moisture ground that will eventually turn into a carbon track ground, especially if there's been moisture in the side case. Without going into detail how I fixed locomotive electrical devices you can always try baking at about 300 deg 45-60 min and after it cools coat it in slow dry (20-30 minute) epoxy to hermetically seal it. I have rewound stators and even made my own "super stators" and quick dry epoxy fractures from vibration. It won't hurt the coil, if you want just bake it then try it, should be sealed so it will last longer.