Local AC shop

Cracker

Anyone recommend a good (inexpensive :D) shop? I lost all the refrigerant in my system and originally thought I could refill the system just using the refill cans. I got one can in the system but the directions say don't add more if the compressor won't turn over. Currently my compressor kicks on and off in short intervals and I wonder if I need to get more R134/oil in the system in order for it to stay on, but with my Wal-Mart setup I can't check high and low side pressures.

Thanks. :woo_hoo:

Anyone recommend a good (inexpensive :D) shop? I lost all the refrigerant in my system and originally thought I could refill the system just using the refill cans. I got one can in the system but the directions say don't add more if the compressor won't turn over. Currently my compressor kicks on and off in short intervals and I wonder if I need to get more R134/oil in the system in order for it to stay on, but with my Wal-Mart setup I can't check high and low side pressures.

Thanks. :woo_hoo:

There is a good chance it is cycling on and off from the low pressure switch (transducer). This means it is still low on charge. If it has been only a year since it was last charged, there is probably a major leak.

I know there was a major leak, I caused it when I swapped cabs. :woo_hoo: After I re-tightened the condenser the system's holding the pressure from the one can I added a month ago.

I'm just not sure if the Walmart system I have is adequate for a complete fill.

I was hoping someone knew of a shop that wanted a easy job and would be willing to cut me a break. Maybe I'll go to PepBoys.

There is a Midas on the corner of Windmill and Pecos (NW corner by Terrible's). I have taken my vehicles there a few times and they always treated me good and the price wasn't too bad. The manager's name is Leo. Good luck

There is a Midas on the corner of Windmill and Pecos (NW corner by Terrible's). I have taken my vehicles there a few times and they always treated me good and the price wasn't too bad. The manager's name is Leo. Good luck

That's certainly close to me. :woo_hoo:

I know there was a major leak, I caused it when I swapped cabs. :woo_hoo: After I re-tightened the condenser the system's holding the pressure from the one can I added a month ago.

I'm just not sure if the Walmart system I have is adequate for a complete fill.

I was hoping someone knew of a shop that wanted a easy job and would be willing to cut me a break. Maybe I'll go to PepBoys.

i would open all the windows, run the engine about 1500 rpm with the a/c on high and add refrigerant till the compressor stops cycling for a minute or so and make sure the air coming out of the vents is nice and cool and you should be good. wouldnt hurt to get some gauges on there to double check the pressures.

The compressor doesn't stay on long enough for anything to get cool. Probably 2 seconds.

it will when you add the freon unless you have other issues going on. i assumed it was working fine till you opened the system. forgot to ask though did you pull a vacuum on the system before adding freon?

or you could stop by the shop and i would help you out i work at aaa muffler gimme me a call down thier at 8, we open and 6, :beercheers: we close the number is 702 450 3896 my name is darrell

Edited by evilbeaver

i assumed it was working fine till you opened the system. forgot to ask though did you pull a vacuum on the system before adding freon?

It worked fine before I took it apart. I did not evacuate the system. All I did was disconnect the two lines at the condenser, pull the AC lines through the firewall, and mount as it was to the new cab. Now knowing that I needed more freon I saw the DIY systems at the store. I read that I could add one can if the compressor didn't kick on and if it still didn't come on I need to "seek professional help". Now I'm here.

I would still get some gauges hung on it & make sure you didnt loose any oil along with the freon

I lost very little when the refrigerant was flowing out at high pressure.

How do the gauges tell oil level ????????

They dont alone ...when using an evac machine and recover the system , look at how much oil is recovered...but still thats not fully accurate, you cant recover 100% of the oil out of the system

Edited by OFFROADRACER

its become clear you are better off letting a pro you know you can trust charge your a/c. it really is simple if you know what you are doing and have the equipment to do it. pay to have it done right so you dont mess up your system. :D

its become clear you are better off letting a pro you know you can trust charge your a/c. it really is simple if you know what you are doing and have the equipment to do it. pay to have it done right so you dont mess up your system. :D

How so?

I'm hearing the compressor won't kick on since the pressure is low, but I haven't heard if I need to add more refrigerant or if there's something more.

The reason for this post was to find a AC person I can trust. :stirthepot: I'd just hate to drop a few hundred dollars in having someone do something that I'm capable of doing after all the work I've done on the truck without assistance. If it's a matter of equipment I can live with dropping the money (ie if my system does have to be evacuated). If I only need to add these refill R134 cans on the high pressure side I'd just assume do that myself and save some money.

well there you go. you dont add to the high pressure side. the low side is the suction side for adding freon. the purpose for sucking the system down is to draw the moisture out of the system and create a vacuum for recharging. when the system is drawn down on a vacuum the moisture in it boils and is drawn out out. a key for proper a/c operation. here moisture is not that big of a deal say like houston where i used to live where if the system was open for even just a half hour enough moisture could get in and saturate the dryer. you want to suck the system down and then add a full charge of freon. as far as oil i dont think you lost anymore than would be put back in with a recharge. freon has oil in it. as far as not hearing about adding more refigerant read my previous post. good luck :D

Thanks everyone.

I bit the bullet and added one more can of R134 and that was enough to kick the compressor on. I wish I would have ignored the instructions before the drive to Bakersfield.

Thanks everyone.

I bit the bullet and added one more can of R134 and that was enough to kick the compressor on. I wish I would have ignored the instructions before the drive to Bakersfield.

good deal you got it working.... it definitely would suck with no a/c

Edited by OFFROADRACER