Pete, Your Take on the Allison Trans:

Duneraider

I have a friend that works for Allison.

He said often independant tranny shops will sell a customer a whole new Allison and tell them they're tranny is bad when in fact, it's just a simple to fix solinoid, or an other easy fix, or running hot because the customer added too much fluid ect.

They rip the customer off and bad mouth Allisons because their is big money in it for them.

" I gotta a pile of 'em" was the last Allison comment from an independant shop I heard on the boards.

We love ours, our neighbors all love theirs, and our next Truck will have one too.

What's your take over all on the Allison World 1000 tranny?

You being the chevy doc and all.

Edited by Duneraider

In the beginning Allison wouldnt let us fix them.

They would only send us a replacement that was painted black so they could track them.

but now they let us repair them if we can,I think Chad(our tranny guy) still has only done solenoids and seals.He had to put a converter in one because of leakage but thats it.

I love mine. The trans guy here at work doesn't even get that many of them in here for repairs.

I would guess most guys just replace them because they don't know how to work on them. They are far more complex than an ol 4L80E.

by far, the industry-changing transmission

the big three ,with diesels, had a problem with too much torque and their meesley trannys they would put behind them. with the addition of the turbo's, it became evident, to GM at least, that the tranny wasthe weakest point of the drive system. They added the allison when they brought out the D-max

and then you will notice that, quietly, ford introduced their torque shift, an allison clone. that was back in 04 or 05 i think.

finally dodge, just last year in late 06, changed their trannies too.

if there are dealers ripping customers off, the allison needs to do something about that themselves.

by far, the industry-changing transmission

the big three ,with diesels, had a problem with too much torque and their meesley trannys they would put behind them. with the addition of the turbo's, it became evident, to GM at least, that the tranny wasthe weakest point of the drive system. They added the allison when they brought out the D-max

and then you will notice that, quietly, ford introduced their torque shift, an allison clone. that was back in 04 or 05 i think.

finally dodge, just last year in late 06, changed their trannies too.

if there are dealers ripping customers off, the allison needs to do something about that themselves.

after about 120hp over stock the ally is still the weakest link... will limp 5 and sometimes 4th wevery time you stomp it..

but you gotta luvm

Capt