Randylybs Posted February 8, 2008 Posted February 8, 2008 I'm new at this and I am building a sandcars.net 4 seater with a Subaru and Mendola 2D4S and I need to know how you mesure for the correct axel length. Could someone help me? Quote
lvnalolife Posted February 9, 2008 Posted February 9, 2008 Someone may know a little better and could chime in. I have always been advised to lower the car to where the flanges would be in line parallel to the ground. You will want to measure from the flange to flange and figure this to be the absolute longest they can be. Any longer and when your supension compresses the axles will destroy the flanges on the tranny. Does that make sense? I bet if Bert or anyone else sees this, they will give you the answer you are looking for. If all else fails, call the builder and ask them. Quote
Randylybs Posted February 9, 2008 Author Posted February 9, 2008 Someone may know a little better and could chime in. I have always been advised to lower the car to where the flanges would be in line parallel to the ground. You will want to measure from the flange to flange and figure this to be the absolute longest they can be. Any longer and when your supension compresses the axles will destroy the flanges on the tranny. Does that make sense? I bet if Bert or anyone else sees this, they will give you the answer you are looking for. If all else fails, call the builder and ask them. Thanks, lvnalolife. I now have a clue. Do you think if they are too short it would hurt the bearings and or the CV's? Quote
D-YT Posted February 9, 2008 Posted February 9, 2008 Just like the post prior but... inside flange cup to inside flange cup MINUS 1/2 inch, Use limit straps if your shocks don't stop your axle degree from going beyond the cv's limits. Don't forget about compound angles on your axles also when figuring your degrees. Quote
Yoshi Posted February 10, 2008 Posted February 10, 2008 (edited) Thanks, lvnalolife. I now have a clue. Do you think if they are too short it would hurt the bearings and or the CV's? too short will limit your travel before they can get to their max angle...... Edited February 10, 2008 by Yoshi Quote
bp-guy Posted February 10, 2008 Posted February 10, 2008 If they are too short can't you also run the risk of pulling out the c-clip? Quote
EY3BA11 Posted February 11, 2008 Posted February 11, 2008 it would take a while to bust the c clip but its a possibility from being to short.. Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.