engine coating experiment

I ve been runnng my cummins for several years now with compound twins. They work great, but in the back of you head, you always wonder, I wonder if I did this, if it would be better.

So, I recently added a ported and coated ats manifold. Good results, I bought it used, then cleaned it up and had it ceramic coated. Barely noticeable change I would say, but I did tow with it twice, and compared egt's to previous and hill climbing and speed. Seemed to picked up alittle, egts a tad lower, so speed was a tad higher at the same weight on the same hills.

Now, I took, my adapter / waistgate pipe off, both turbo exhuast housings and the intermediate (between turbo) pipe off and had them coated in piston coat. The results are amazing. Atleast 10 psi more boost. Boost comes in sooner and faster. My 60 psi gauge needs to be an 80 psi gauge now. I use to have to work it pretty hard to see 55, and would only see it in 4th or higher gears. It would go through 2 or 3rd so fast that it would go past about 45 before the shift. Now I see 55 easy. 55 in 4th 5th or 6th is a blink and still part throttle. Given my test drive, I d guess it would trap in the 110-113 area in the quarter. It seems to have brought the whole power curve down in rpm and extended and raised the top end.

Someday Ill have to swap the head and do head studs and stuff. It only has 220k miles on it so Il keep it safe and keep my limit at 60 psi until then.

A much bigger change then the manifld only and looks cool too. The piston coat is gold/bronze.

Thats pretty amazing that just coating the pipes gave it that much more PSI..

Who would have thought that. You could market that shizzle there!!! course dont tell them what your doing just do it seems to be a market for a cheap mod that makes huge improvents. :barf: :chev_bowtie:

I wonder is all manufactures would benefit from such a mod? even if you didnt have two turbos? :rockon:

I think my truck benefited more then most for a few reasons.

The exhuast goes through two housings, the first absorbing heat and taking away energy, the second being huge and needing energy very badly. The exhuast manifold on cummins leaves alot to be desired period. Port mis match, heat shrinkage etc, was the reason for the manifold swap. The coating was done in part because with twins, space gets close, and I wanted to keep the heat from melting things under the hood while towing. I did catch my hood insulator on fire, once pulling potesi, cause the insulator fell and the turbo housing was real close.

On compound twins, we use one small turbo and one large. The exhuast goes through the small turbo first then the larger turbo then exits . The incomming air starts at the air cleaner, then through the large turbo then through the small turbo, then to the intercooling system (in my case three intercoolers) then to the intake.

Ive also noticed more boost at cruise speeds on the freeway, and lower egts ofcourse.

IOn compound twins, we use one small turbo and one large. The exhuast goes through the small turbo first then the larger turbo then exits . The incomming air starts at the air cleaner, then through the large turbo then through the small turbo, then to the intercooling system (in my case three intercoolers) then to the intake.

:slap: im soooooo fuggin lost!! :unsure: so you have your exhaust AND your air intake going into your turbos, but the exhaust goes small to large, then large to small??? :think: what is the benefit of running your intake into the turbos, backwards from the exhaust?? cooling???

sorry...imma dumbazz when it comes to diesel motors :think:

yea, with all turbos you run both the exhuast and air to the engine through it. Not together, but exhuast goes through one side to spin the turbo (turbine) and air to the engine enters the other side (compressor) to get compressed and go to the engine.

air in pathway = air cleaner, big turbo, small turbo, intercooler, engine

exhuast path = exhuast manifold, small turbo, big turbo, exhuastpipe

thanks for clearing that up.....its now as clear as mud......

this is how i think it works

intake goes tothe compressor...exhaust spins the turbine that pushes the fresh air into the engine....

why does fresh air need to go to the intercooler???

sorry, im just not getting it??? dee dee dee