Apex Atv

DarbyCrash

Looking for some help here.

My 8 year old is currently riding a Predator 90 that he has had since he was 4. I've had some electricle issues with it over the past couple of years :banghead: but I finally think I've got them taken care of. It's piped and a few other slight mods (there is not much you can do with them). However the bike still lags according to his riding ability. He's pretty much a "go for it" kid

Anyway, I'm debating getting him something new for next season and I've been reading about the Apex quads. They look pretty sweet. I'm leaning toward the 100cc race version.

The questions I have for anybody who knows is are they reliable? How do they do in the sand? Do they outperform the Predator (it has been a good bike for him for the most part). How long will he be able to ride it? I don't want to have to buy him another quad for at least 5 years. Will he be able to keep up better on the Apex than on the Predator?

Any information or knowledge on the Apex would be great.

How long will he be able to ride it? I don't want to have to buy him another quad for at least 5 years.

I can't help you on the Apex quad, but I do know that how long a kid can ride a bike depends on how quickly he grows. I went through 4 bikes in about 8 years while my son grew. :banghead: I probably could have skipped 1 bike and stepped him up from the Blaster to the LTR450.

It would probably also depend on what planet you plan to ride. :lol:

Good luck.

It would probably also depend on what planet you plan to ride. :lol:

:banghead:

Yeah, but I'm fun around a campfire.

I'm a cheap basterd, I try and buy quads that will last them a few years. I kept my daughter on her LT80 for 6 years. Last season I realized her knees were hitting her ears and I sold the LT80 and stepped her up to a 250EX. She'll be stuck on that until she buys her own. I was planning on keeping the boy on the Predator until he was 10 but he rides pretty hard for a little guy. I was trying to get by for another 2 seasons but he is'nt going to make it, he's bored. I wish he was tall enough for the 250EX or a Raptor 250 but he can't hit the brake. I've never seen an Apex, only heard about them. I'm hoping it's built like a midsize quad that he could ride till he's at least 13-14.

Edited by DarbyCrash

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

ha hahahaahaaahaaa

i saw an apex for sale on, of all places, craigslist

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/mcy/645009522.html

DIRT HOMOZ (DIRTWHEELS) did a little diddy on them a few months back....said they were the shizz

but like firepole said.........look at a 250 honda/zuk/kaw/yammy.... my friends 8 yr old.. second grader, rides his moms 250 like that ma facka stole it :beer_bang: we had him back in the dunes with us and he was jumping it too.....

Ya that is my sons Apex for slae here. It is so freakin fast but he is already tiping the scale at 115 and can ride a Z400 already. If you can find one for under 2000 grab it. They are amazing with a few upgrades. It suited him well when in the It would still be the best thing for him in dirt but it's all about the sand for us. I think it would do about 40 on the flats with him at his current weight in the sand and it is fast as hell on the street even with my fat but on it. I might just keep it for his little brother. It does use a Taiwanesse motor.

Ya that is my sons Apex for slae here. It is so freakin fast but he is already tiping the scale at 115 and can ride a Z400 already. If you can find one for under 2000 grab it. They are amazing with a few upgrades. It suited him well when in the It would still be the best thing for him in dirt but it's all about the sand for us. I think it would do about 40 on the flats with him at his current weight in the sand and it is fast as hell on the street even with my fat but on it. I might just keep it for his little brother. It does use a Taiwanesse motor.

How did it do in the sand? Do you have paddles for it? Ever had any problems with it? How old is your son? Anything else you could tell me about it?

Thanks Malibu.

How did it do in the sand? Do you have paddles for it? Ever had any problems with it? How old is your son? Anything else you could tell me about it?

Thanks Malibu.

It did great in the sand. My son is almost ten but like I said he is big. He has also been riding since he was four. I had been running the Sand Gecko padlles on it but would have been better served with a lighter paddle. I have had a few problems with it. The carb that came with it (24MM) always seemed to not work properly so I went to a 28MM and it made a huge diference. The stock ball joints that were on it also were waty to stiff and made it hard to steer so I put some VW type on it and it worked great. I believe I had to replace the head gasget which is a rubber o ring type as well. I changed the cluth stall speed as well since it wouldn't move untill you were really high in the rpm range. I think the only other thing I have had to do was put a new high perforance belt on it for the cvt. Any more question on these things let me know.