Any Frontpage Guru Here?

iweb

I have used FrontPage since 98 and now have the newest version which was working fine. I "upgraded" Win 2K to EP Pro and now I can't publish to my website. It says server timed out. I was loading pics like always so I deleted all but one and the text uploaded but not the one pic.

I publish live, do the changes and then hit my save button and it used to upload fine, now won't. Emailed my host and they said they have not changed anything on their end.

After trying to upload 3 times and getting the timed out thing, I get something that says if you are uploading to a web server you need to contact the administrator.

I assume I loaded a web server or something with XP that is causing this? Any ideas and how do I "turn off" a web server? Thanks.

Now I don't get the server timed out but I get this from MS FrontPage: An error occured accessing your FrontPage web files. Authors - if authoring against a web server, please contact the webmaster for this server's site. Webmasters - please see the servers system log for more details.

Is the server my website host or FrontPage or what?

This is an email from my web host: Just as a test, we reinstalled your FP extensions and adjusted your permissions to the maximum allowed to see if that would have any affect with the new settings on your end.

My log in to open my website says connecting to : virtualweb3.ttlvhost.net. I don't remember that saying that website before, I thought it just said log in without saying the connecting part.

How do I check settings in FP? I just looked at everything I could find and don't see that????

How did you publish before... using ftp? sharepoint services?? when you open your page go to file then publish site then make sure your settigns are correct in there... IE if it defaulted back to sharepoint vs ftp.. 20 bucks says it needs to be ftp.. :D and then make sure that the host name is correct.. :D

Holy crap you owe me $20 or a sammy! Really I don't know what sharepoint is, I have been doing the same publish since 1998. I open the website in IE, click on the FP button and it opens, I put in user name and password and the web downloads and then I make any changes and click the save button on the tool bar and it would upload or publish live or whatever term is correct. I even tried the publish thing yesterday and it did the same.

Now, when I had to load XP, I also had to reload FP which came in Office so both are new and I think this is the first time I have worked on my website since.

if the text is going then hmmmmmmmmm!!!! go into the file menu publish site thingy again.. and stick a checkmark in use passive FTP for uploading files.. :D that might work for ya... if not i dunno what to tell ya... I generally dont use those programs to publish my stuff.. i just save locally and upload after the fact..

if the text is going then hmmmmmmmmm!!!! go into the file menu publish site thingy again.. and stick a checkmark in use passive FTP for uploading files.. :D that might work for ya... if not i dunno what to tell ya... I generally dont use those programs to publish my stuff.. i just save locally and upload after the fact..

I hear ya there...I thought I would at least take a SWAG at it.....

You know the old question in IT...what has changed since it did work, and it seems as though a lot has changed in his setup.

Edited by cmyfirepole

Gerald problem is... i have used FP to do what he is doing w/ the same setup.. its one of those gotta be there to see it type things... i cant think off the top of my head exactly what is diffrent between his and mine..

Gerald problem is... i have used FP to do what he is doing w/ the same setup.. its one of those gotta be there to see it type things... i cant think off the top of my head exactly what is diffrent between his and mine..

Gotcha!! :laughing:

I used FP for a little while....I just got tired of cleaning up the code that MS puts in the HTML. UGLY!! Now I just hack through the HTML with a simple text editor.......Good Luck.

Edited by cmyfirepole

Windows firewall is off, I turned off Panda too and have the same problems.

I went to file, publish, and don't see any place to check passive FTP, where is it? I also looked in all the tools, options, etc.

When I tried to upload with the publish instead of clicking on the save button I got a message that the destination cannot be the same as the open page. Whats that?

Ok guru dudes, I went into My Network Places and clicked on my website. I noticed the folder of the problem webpage that I was trying to publish was different looking than the other webpages so I did a properties and the problem webpage is a HTML document and the other webpages are MS FP HTML documents. I did a test and uploaded a pic on a MS FP HTML document webpage and it published just fine.

How do I change the problem webpage to the right kind??