Computer networking help

YamaKiller

I want to set up a little network with my house computer and the computer I carry with me that has wireless internet. Can I set up my house computer to give me access over the internet with a password. So I can pull files and maybe look at a running program that is on my house computer.

House computer= Vista

work Laptop= XP

I have a camera security program on my house computer with cameras attached that record onto my harddrive at home. I would like to be able to look at this program while on the road.

Is this possible.

And I don't really want to buy a program to do this. I thought there was a way to do it in windows.

Thanks for any help

Actually you can install that camera software on your laptop and loginto it remotely from anywhere. YOu just need to know your ipaddress

http://whatsmyip.com i believe and setup the router to foward the port that the camera software is using :D

Should be in the directions for the camera software.

Actually you can install that camera software on your laptop and loginto it remotely from anywhere. YOu just need to know your ipaddress

http://whatsmyip.com i believe and setup the router to foward the port that the camera software is using :D

Should be in the directions for the camera software.

I can already view the cameras remotely live. Free software with camera so I can view them over the internet but I can't view the recordings that were made. They get saved on my hard drive at home. The cameras record on motion activation.

I tried to use remote desktop but I can't figure it out. Do you know how to use it and maybe walk me through it.

Thanks

your desktop needs to have remote support enabled..

Right click my computer, properties, Remote tab.. dunno bout vista but should be close to the same.

ROuter needs to be setup to foward the remote desktop protocol to that computer.. once thats done you just open up remote desktop app from one computer.. put in the IP of the other computer then login :D

your desktop needs to have remote support enabled..

Right click my computer, properties, Remote tab.. dunno bout vista but should be close to the same.

ROuter needs to be setup to foward the remote desktop protocol to that computer.. once thats done you just open up remote desktop app from one computer.. put in the IP of the other computer then login :D

Vista is the same, but unless you have a static IP you may never know when it changes and like Nick said you have to know it to remote your computer.

use WWW.logmein.com

This is a free program that allows you to simulate your desktop over the Internet. I use it all the time to remote in across country.

I believe that logmein requires someone to accept the connection our atleast start the application and have VNC, which again requires a static IP.

Get a SoHo account from cox and then you will have a static ip and no filters on your cable modem. Then you can setup RealVNC or VPN access.

Vista is the same, but unless you have a static IP you may never know when it changes and like Nick said you have to know it to remote your computer.

I believe that logmein requires someone to accept the connection our atleast start the application and have VNC, which again requires a static IP.

Get a SoHo account from cox and then you will have a static ip and no filters on your cable modem. Then you can setup RealVNC or VPN access.

vpn vnc hpf thl jdh????????? I don't have a clue what any of that means.. :DDRrocks: ....I thought it would be simple and I could just click a couple buttons and make it happen...Guess I was wrong... This is way over my head so I guess I will just leave it alone for now..

Thanks for the help