1935 cc VW Engine

sandawg

I have heard of an 1835 before, but the buggy I just bought is said to have a 1935 motor, Appears that the 79 Karman Ghia had that motor, or maybe it was a 1995, not sure now. I am curious to know if anybody has heard of this engine and seen one in a buggy before. Am thinking the current owner has the #'s wrong. Current owner says that the combo was built by a San Diego Company and he is happy with it. How will it compare to an 1835, probably not to much hop up stuff yet. Same case as others. able to go bigger like 2140 if needed. Cam options and valve train change possibilities etc. Has twin Webers, I assume they are 44's not 48's. Don't pick it up until tomorrow so can't be sure about that.

All info appreciated.

See ya at the dunes!

Edited by SANDAWG

I'm stoked for you Pat. :beercheers: You gotta be excited.

I've never heard of a 1935. :headbang1:

I think they meant 1835 or 1914, both have a stock 69mm stroke.

Be sure to get a synchronize tool for them dual carbs.

If you can find a Weber book get it too.

I had Dellortos and my book really helped me understand them.

Here's a pic of the tool. you can get one on Ebay.

post-591-1223847395_thumb.jpg

Lookin' forward to seein' some detailed pics of your new car. :blury:

R-

I'm stoked for you Pat. :beercheers: You gotta be excited.

I've never heard of a 1935. :headbang1:

I think they meant 1835 or 1914, both have a stock 69mm stroke.

Be sure to get a synchronize tool for them dual carbs.

If you can find a Weber book get it too.

I had Dellortos and my book really helped me understand them.

Here's a pic of the tool. you can get one on Ebay.

post-591-1223847395_thumb.jpg

Lookin' forward to seein' some detailed pics of your new car. :blury:

R-

Thanks Randog. Yup, first thing I get is the guage to sync the carbs. My first car was a 1641 Turbo that after a year I bumped to a 1776, the second was a 2-3 Turbo Ford. I will have to learn to work on the VW again. Carbs........shouldn't be too much for an old gear head like me. Directions with lots of pictures are the "ticket" for me. First thing I will do is kit the carbs since it hs been sitting for while. I'll get some pics up as soon as I clean it up and polish it too. I am a clean is quick type. Have a good day and Thanks

Edited by SANDAWG

I have had good luck with my 1835 with dual weber 40's for the last 3-4 seasons. I bought a couple of books and the synch...but the last time I paid a guy to tune it up at beetle barn...he said it was tit's as far as being synch'd. No need to mess with it until it really goes out of synch. It's been nice, strong and reliable, although I can't wait until I can upgrade to some more horsepower. It's been a great starter motor.

I haven't heard of the 1935 either...but run what you bring and have fun doing it!! :beercheers: