Oil changing time for the generator

bp-guy

I have an ONAN 4000 on my motorhome. It doesn't have an oil filter on it so all I need to do is change the oil.

My question is--- Is there a specific oil weight I should be using and does ONAN require a certain brand?

I know I could just call a dealer to find out but this might help others on here as well as me so I am asking here. Thanks

I have an ONAN 4000 on my motorhome. It doesn't have an oil filter on it so all I need to do is change the oil.

My question is--- Is there a specific oil weight I should be using and does ONAN require a certain brand?

I know I could just call a dealer to find out but this might help others on here as well as me so I am asking here. Thanks

Call Johnnie Walker RV Center....They can answer all your generator questions. I think they even have a generator service special going on now....877-879-4750 ask for Jeremy he is the best over there.

Tim

I always use Onan, I dont know if its required or not, but better safe than sorry. are you sure there is no filter?

Camping world has all that shizzle :headbang1:

I am positive there is no filter, I looked everywhere and don't see it. I was told that some generators don't have them. Maybe it's because I have a smaller generator.

I will use the Onan oil. It only cost $4 bucks a quart and only needs 1.6 quarts. I don't want to be cheap on $8 bucks for the correct oil.

Thanks for the input guys!

When I worked at Bell Trans they had about 300 of these on the busses for the air conditioner. They did a test and found that replacing 1/4 of the oil with Marvel Mystery Oil really extended the life of them.

Edited by chris1223