Oregon Dunes trip

Free Agent

We're dialing in a trip to Oregon sand dunes in about 5 weeks.

A drunk stopped me at the bar and claims their are 5 different dunes to camp at.

First I heard of that, but just to be sociable I listened.

If so, where's the best place to ride?

We're moteling it.

Towing the super utility trailer with all the toys.

Thanks for any tips and tales.

17633nightattheroxburry.gif

• 2 weeks later...

since i'm from coos bay origonally i will have to say it's the best dunes i have ever been to. check out bull run between the beach and the main dunes...best to ask some locals how to find it. if i was you knowing what i know about the oregon dunes i would go with hat in hand through the staging area and find some locals and ask them to take you on a tour. the problem with going it on yr own is you WILL miss a lot of things hidden in the trees. all ya gotta do is blink and a missed turn will result in missed opportunity. there are sooo many roads going through trees and into lakes and sidehills along lakes or trees where if you aren't a good rider you will have one h*ll of a time getting out, but that's what makes coos bay so much fun and sooo challenging. from horsefall going north ....boxcar(no longer a real hill), teacup, razorback, trees of mystery, beaver slide, v8hill,...that gets you to hauser where theres a staging area and koacampground. then on north towards spinreel(the best camping spot, in my opinion). winchester bay is another fun spot but havent spent much time there since about 1973 when i started duning. florence is another huge and fun riding area....never spent much time there either. lots of motels there and coos bay too....close to the dunes. theres Bug Germanators in north bend if he's still in business...ask him in a pinch where to go. he does a lot of go fast work on sanrails and vw engines, among other things. or you could always look up my phone# and call me and i can get you through there...randy's european automotive in hesperia. i mite go up around july 15 or 20th. have fun! OBTW....stay out of closed areas.....they are REAL serious about that up there....big fines.

We are headed there for the FSA race, we leave on Wednesday and are staying until Sunday. I have not been there, but I am really looking forward to it. I am not sure of the surrounding hotels, but I know the people that I am going with are booking us at the Mill.