Any info appreciated. Getting into racing?

DuNe45oR

hi, i have been riding both desert, mud, sand, and pretty much every terrain for about 6 years now on quads. i have always wanted to get into racing whether it be for points or not, i like competition and i would love to meet others who race. i have a 2008 450r with some accessories both in and out. I know about Best In The Desert but that seems to be a big place to start. Theres so much info, im not sure where to start. If anyone races now, or knows about Quad racing either XC, MX, Night Racing etc., id really appreciate any info. Do i need permits? thanks a ton

-D45or :laughoff:

the only MRAN races that have quad classes are the the summer night series.

you gotta figure out what kind of racing you want to do. the set-up is completely different for desert to mx to worcs. i have a bike designated for desert, one for worcs, and one for mx. you can run your bike the way it is in each one, but not very competitively.

for worcs, mx (or any other ama event), and most desert races a tether kill switch and nerf bars are required. some mx, worcs, and most desert events require a spark arrestor. worcs and mx events have db limits.

bitd is going to be the most expensive. individual races are about $400 per race. your first worcs and mx events will be more costly than subsequent races because you must purchase a transponder and usually an annual series membership. the first race will run you around $150 with subsequent races being $50-$75 per class entry.

each series has their own requirements for number plate combinations (background/number colors), also wheel width (ama & worcs = 50"). keep all that stuff in mind if you plan on running different series.

worcs is a great series, a good start, and the mesquite race is coming up in october. typically most racers run 21"/20" tires, which probably comes stock on your atv. it's a mix of desert/mx. from my experience you'll want to have your quad dialed in for whoops this race, it's really rough.. about 3 miles of non-stop deep DEEP! whoops. you'll need alot of stamina. amateur class rides for about 55-60 minutes, roughly five 12 minute laps.

start practising!

bitd is going to be the most expensive. individual races are about $400 per race. your first worcs and mx events will be more costly than subsequent races because you must purchase a transponder and usually an annual series membership. the first race will run you around $150 with subsequent races being $50-$75 per class entry.

I 2nd high octane junkie on the bitd, not only the entry fee but the logistics having people at all the pit stops and this year the Vegas to Reno is 3 stages (3 days), day 1-332 mi, 2-372 mi, 3-298 mi. The longest offroad race in the US, follows the old pony express trail. Last year Jerry (Whelchel, #1 TTruck BITD) would get to the pits before me when I was trying to get pit crew pitstop pics, and I was doing 75 on the hiways, and he complained the truck wouldn't go faster than 126 :grin: and that race had all classes on it, would you want to have a 5000+ lb monster overtake you on the course? If so you're :flipoff::flipoff::ninja: Racing MX will make you faster sooner, just my opinion.

i completetly agree. and i know there are different requirements for different classes, i have most everything. im gonna start slow and hopefully work my way up to getting a monster on my a$$, but not too close haha