12v Solar Charging System

bp-guy

:beercheers: Ok, same problem I have since last year. I can't figure out the solar side of my charging system. I checked the solar panel and its right at 21 volts. I have checked the invertor/convertor thingy and its got 12.4 volts at the box. All fuses are good. when I hook up to house power or run the generator I have charging to my batteries. I turn off the aux switch above the door and I lose all charging to the batteries. I am on the understanding that when you turn off the aux switch thats when the solar side kicks in. I checked all the grounds that I could see and cleaned them up.

If pictures would help I can take some and post them up here. Oh yeah all my GFI outlets "seem" to be working. the bathroom is the only one with a reset/test button.

Edited by bp-guy

That's what I was thinking, but I dont see any wires reading the same voltage as the panel anywhere near the batteries. Also wouldn't there be some sort of regulator involved to shut off the solar to keep from over charging?

There should be a charge controller for the panel, it will regulate the voltage and keep the panel from over charging the batts. With panel connected to the batts it won't read 21 volts, it wil be between 12 and 14.

I don't think your charging problem is related to the converter. With the panel being wired to your fuse block I'm pretty sure it is disc when you turn off your battery disc. I would connect the positive lead from the panel directly to the positive side of the battery and see if that works.

I don't think your charging problem is related to the converter. With the panel being wired to your fuse block I'm pretty sure it is disc when you turn off your battery disc. I would connect the positive lead from the panel directly to the positive side of the battery and see if that works.

Yea and watch just as it charges the batteries during the day, it will drain them at night. The charge controller also contains a diode pack to only allow the flow go one way.

Here are some picture's of where I think I am all wrong. Maybe the invertor in the motorhome isn't even related to the problem. it seems more like a reducer from 110 to 12 volts.

post-1872-1255913012_thumb.jpg

post-1872-1255913019_thumb.jpg

post-1872-1255913027_thumb.jpg

The 2nd Pic, the Iota is your 110 to 12 volt convertor to charge your batterys when plugged in to shore power or generator. So that sounds like you can eliminate that since it is chargeing when plugged in to shore power or generator.

The 3rd Pic is the 110 volt breaker panel to the left and the 12 volt fuses on the right and if all your lights are working that all seems good to go too.

To me, that all looks good in both those pictures and wired correctly. And doing the job as intended.

The first pic ....Is that in the engine compartment? IF you pull the fuse for the solar panel fuse and put your meter (set to DC) on the primary side and the black lead (from the meter) to chassis ground, your getting 21 volts? I dont have a solar panel but would assume it would be in the 12-13 volt range coming off the solar panel since it is only used to charge the battery.

Also wondering what the auxilary switch is for? Do you have a separate battery to start the motorhome engine and a separate battery to run the lights in the coach? If you switch the "auxilary" switch and it stops charging, I am wondering if that could possibly be the battery disconnect switch. If you flip that auxillary switch and are unplugged from shore power & generator power, do you have any interior lights?

Edited by 80grit

The 2nd Pic, the Iota is your 110 to 12 volt convertor to charge your batterys when plugged in to shore power or generator. So that sounds like you can eliminate that since it is chargeing when plugged in to shore power or generator.

The 3rd Pic is the 110 volt breaker panel to the left and the 12 volt fuses on the right and if all your lights are working that all seems good to go too.

To me, that all looks good in both those pictures and wired correctly. And doing the job as intended.

The first pic ....Is that in the engine compartment? IF you pull the fuse for the solar panel fuse and put your meter (set to DC) on the primary side and the black lead (from the meter) to chassis ground, your getting 21 volts? I dont have a solar panel but would assume it would be in the 12-13 volt range coming off the solar panel since it is only used to charge the battery.

Also wondering what the auxilary switch is for? Do you have a separate battery to start the motorhome engine and a separate battery to run the lights in the coach? If you switch the "auxilary" switch and it stops charging, I am wondering if that could possibly be the battery disconnect switch. If you flip that auxillary switch and are unplugged from shore power & generator power, do you have any interior lights?

Yes, I have a single battery to start the motorhome and 2 6 volts to run the lights and start the motorhome if needed via a toggle switch I hold down to transfer power.

If I turn the switch off I lose all power to the motorhome. I am assuming this is for long term storage as to not drain the batteries.

And the 21 volt reading I was getting was at the solar panel itself, somewhere along the lines it is being regulated down to 12-13 volts and I just cant find that yet. I am beginning to think I am looking to much into this and just need to trace the wires from the roof and see where they are leading to. But thats kinda hard to do alone and I don't have 50 feet of wire to do continuity tests with my meter.

I just checked another thing. There is a light in the air conditioning unit that has charging indicator if being used. I checked the in voltage and it was 22 volts and the out voltage was 12.2. So I found the regulator. My batteries at the current state show 12.30 volts so as it sits now it won't draw on the solar. I am going to disconnect the house batteries and jump the connectors over to the engine battery since I know it is dead and see if that triggers the solar to work. I am thinking it might have been a bad connection somewhere and with me investigating everything I just put it back together and made a better connection.

Thanks for the input so far guys I appreciate it.

Edited by bp-guy

Yes, I have a single battery to start the motorhome and 2 6 volts to run the lights and start the motorhome if needed via a toggle switch I hold down to transfer power.

If I turn the switch off I lose all power to the motorhome. I am assuming this is for long term storage as to not drain the batteries.

And the 21 volt reading I was getting was at the solar panel itself, somewhere along the lines it is being regulated down to 12-13 volts and I just cant find that yet. I am beginning to think I am looking to much into this and just need to trace the wires from the roof and see where they are leading to. But thats kinda hard to do alone and I don't have 50 feet of wire to do continuity tests with my meter.

I just checked another thing. There is a light in the air conditioning unit that has charging indicator if being used. I checked the in voltage and it was 22 volts and the out voltage was 12.2. So I found the regulator. My batteries at the current state show 12.30 volts so as it sits now it won't draw on the solar. I am going to disconnect the house batteries and jump the connectors over to the engine battery since I know it is dead and see if that triggers the solar to work. I am thinking it might have been a bad connection somewhere and with me investigating everything I just put it back together and made a better connection.

Thanks for the input so far guys I appreciate it.

Is that the issue - 12.2volts is not enough to charge the battery - I always thought it takes at least 13.2-14.4 volts for a charge...

I am suspecting that light might be the problem. I am lookng into seeing how much that part is and if its cheap I will buy one and see if that fixes the problem.

I too thought you need atleast 14 volts for a charge. But since day one of me owning this motorhome that light has never come on. I just dealt with the generator or the alternator charging them. But it would be nice if the solar worked properly too.

I am suspecting that light might be the problem. I am lookng into seeing how much that part is and if its cheap I will buy one and see if that fixes the problem.

I too thought you need atleast 14 volts for a charge. But since day one of me owning this motorhome that light has never come on. I just dealt with the generator or the alternator charging them. But it would be nice if the solar worked properly too.

They are pretty cheap - and I would get one larger in amps then you need, so you can add panels at a later date if you want.