BLM and Police monitoring race radio's

JasonR

I talked to the BLM and the county cops at Dumont command post about them installing and monitoring the VHF race radio’s, they do not monitor the radio’s frequencies. But they said they would if “People of Dumont” can talk to the BLM and have it funded by or donated by the “People” the police department would have the radio installed in their command truck professionally, and would be part of the radio systems that they already have.

There is a few issues that I see that might arise, one the race radio’s that people buy usually have the frequencies already programmed into the radio, thus people only see it as channel 1,2,3 etc. the actual frequencies are usually not displayed. There would have to be a set frequency that ‘they monitor, like the coast guard monitors channel 16 (156.800 Mhz)

Second issue is that whatever frequency would be used will have to be programmed into everyone else’s radio. And be used only to contact the BLM or rescue crew. I’m not sure how hard it is to program these radio’s or even if people would want to do it at all.

Third, I know there was a discussion about these frequencies being on the “HAM” channels and you have to have a special license to be transmitting on them. I'm not sure what kind of problems if any would this create.

I think this would be a great idea and if brought to the BLM office with a plan and funds source, the people who need it would be rescued in much quicker time. No more flagging down, or traveling to the command post then back to the accident.

Hopefully someone could get something like this started, it would make Dumont a much safer place.

Jason

I talked to the BLM and the county cops at Dumont command post about them installing and monitoring the VHF race radio’s, they do not monitor the radio’s frequencies. But they said they would if “People of Dumont” can talk to the BLM and have it funded by or donated by the “People” the police department would have the radio installed in their command truck professionally, and would be part of the radio systems that they already have.

There is a few issues that I see that might arise, one the race radio’s that people buy usually have the frequencies already programmed into the radio, thus people only see it as channel 1,2,3 etc. the actual frequencies are usually not displayed. There would have to be a set frequency that ‘they monitor, like the coast guard monitors channel 16 (156.800 Mhz)

Second issue is that whatever frequency would be used will have to be programmed into everyone else’s radio. And be used only to contact the BLM or rescue crew. I’m not sure how hard it is to program these radio’s or even if people would want to do it at all.

Third, I know there was a discussion about these frequencies being on the “HAM” channels and you have to have a special license to be transmitting on them. I'm not sure what kind of problems if any would this create.

All safe here. Its in between the two "Ham radio" bands so no Ham license is needed.

2 mtr band is 144-148 mhz.

1.25 band is 219-225 Mhz

I think this would be a great idea and if brought to the BLM office with a plan and funds source, the people who need it would be rescued in much quicker time. No more flagging down, or traveling to the command post then back to the accident.

Hopefully someone could get something like this started, it would make Dumont a much safer place.

Jason

Edited by 80grit

I think this is a pretty good topic for the meeting on Tuesday. I will broach it with the sub-group. I think some of the questions can be fixed by signage on the road such as freq. #### is monitored by BLM or something of that sort. I will let you know what the discussion is after the meeting.

Terry

I think this is a great idea that will help get the first responders there even quicker in an emergency. I thought it was standard practice to have a station/frequency set aside for emergency's, I know it was with the C.B's back home on all the fishing vessels but I'm not sure how the "race radios" are set up on these buggies......still a great idea!

I think this is a great idea that will help get the first responders there even quicker in an emergency. I thought it was standard practice to have a station/frequency set aside for emergency's, I know it was with the C.B's back home on all the fishing vessels but I'm not sure how the "race radios" are set up on these buggies......still a great idea!

if im not mistaken...the VHF band doesn't have a "emergency" channel except for marine radio's which is still VHF but on channel 16 or (156.800 Mgz) and CB is on 9..

I will tell you what would be alot more helpful than a radio would be a damn GPS..You cant give the rangers a GPS cordinate and let them know where to go.

Yeah you know that little dune behind comp around the corner and over that other little hill.?????

ITS A FRIGGEN JOKE!!

I will tell you what would be alot more helpful than a radio would be a damn GPS..You cant give the rangers a GPS cordinate and let them know where to go.

Yeah you know that little dune behind comp around the corner and over that other little hill.?????

ITS A FRIGGEN JOKE!!

:think: :beer_bang:

"where you at?"...well....i went up and then over and then left...about 5 mins of traveling...

ya...i think most of the the people out there have some type of GPS

In a pinch, a GPS is worth a ton. Get someone to the top of a dune and use their cell phone to dial 911 with the coordinates and waa laa, help is on the way.

There are not that many race radios compared to those that don't have them!!

Most low power radios are line of sight, meaning that if your behind a dune on the south side it will be difficult to get your message out. With your cell phone, try to aim at Ibex pass. north towards Death Valley on 127 for those So CAl folks.

The ultimate rescue device would be a sattelite cell phone with GPS!

FYI.....I carry a smoke bomb, a mirror, a first aid kit, flashlight, multi tool, rescue whistle and a strobe light, compass and knife, gps and cell phone and maps at all times. And a beer of course!!! :laughoff:

It's overkill but that's because of my search and rescue history!

:banghead:

:pissed:

BLM already has a "cell in a bag" that is for use out at Dumont and they are going to put a banner up with the emergency phone # on it so you can program it into your cell phone. They think they might already have a VHF? radio that could be used in conjunction with our race radios. We just have to pick a frequency and they will see if they can program it in. Anybody up on that kind of stuff chime in and I will put you together with Larry at BLM to discuss channel's and such.