anyone have a KFX450R?

Vegashd

Thinking about picking up a KFX450 for AManda. She wants a 450 and of course it has to have electric start.....................and reverse. She thinks that she is the one that wants reverse, but little does she know that it is also me who likes her having reverse when we are out riding... Just in case. :P

ANyone have one? How do you like it? how reliable are they? I have really not heard much about them or seen them many places

They are good bikes, any of the 450 sport quads are nice for the girls.. They have a black one and a green one..At this time just find the best price and go from there and what ever brand is your favorite..

I equally nice and easy to ride 450 would be the Honda 450r, Sand Chick has a nice one for as cheap as any bike will go right now..

Good Luck..

Thinking about picking up a KFX450 for AManda. She wants a 450 and of course it has to have electric start.....................and reverse. She thinks that she is the one that wants reverse, but little does she know that it is also me who likes her having reverse when we are out riding... Just in case. :P

ANyone have one? How do you like it? how reliable are they? I have really not heard much about them or seen them many places

Just throwing this in in case she is willing to look at this one!

http://www.dumontduneriders.com/invision/i...showtopic=14423

It is like new as you can see and has some good options added!!

^^ SandChick's honda is a kick start and doesn't have reverse, they ride together ;).

^^ Amanda already has an LTZ400 :usa:

An old friend of mine bought one when they 1st came out, I'd just bought my Z400 at the time....we raced a couple times with both bikes basically stock and that KFX450 was a turd, the Z400 beat it every time. :cry:

He had too many issues with it and I think traded it for a YFZ.

If you are looking to upgrade to a 450 for more power then I don't think the KFX is the best choice. I don't know much about ride comfort or handling, I only rode it a couple times. It's a sporty bike like the Z400, not a race style like the other 450's.

IMO the reason you don't see them very often is they don't compare to the YFZ450, LTR450 or TRX450's, stick with what works, right.

I just went from a Z400 to an LTR last season and I haven't ridden the Z400 since, it just sits in the garage :( I upgraded for better handling and comfort. I hardly ever used the reverse on the Z400, mostly just to move it out of the trailer or out of camp, but never while out riding. I don't think reverse is worth buying a bike that isn't going to meet your needs. I don't have any problem moving the LTR not having reverse and if I can move it I know Amanda can handle it without an issue and it actually weighs a little less. :usa:

Our friend Mary just picked up a Polaris Outlaw 450, it has reverse and is a light bike. I don't know anything about it though and we didn't race it against anything to see what kind of power it has. She is a beginner rider, so hard to know how well it performed in the dunes and we've only had it out once. It's a comfortable ride though.

The new Honda 450's are electric start...aren't all of the 450's now electric start?

:usa:

What doesn't she like about the Z400 and what is she looking for in a 450??

Which 450's has she ridden and what did she like and not like about them?

Edited by Foxysandchick

i just got rid of my 2008 kfx450 i hated it, the gearing in it was just dumb it seemed like it topped out at 60 so i tried changing the counter sprocket and ya it helped out a little bit but still it was not a bike worth having. every ride i found myself tapped out and still falling behind the group.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally back online. HAd my appendix removed and was MIA!!! LOL

She loves the 400, wants more power, wants a little wider quad.

Her z400 was due for a rebuild. Was going to strip it down, powder coat everything regrease everything and replace the bplastics to black. Well all in all I would spend 1k doing it. Or, sell her 400 and pick up a lightly used 450 which will be good to go. Then I could also get it in black which she wants.

Reverse, I want her to have that for thoe times she gets stuck on a hill. LOL or when you have a brain fart and pull up a little up hill and are done. LOL

I have not had her ride any quads yet. She has ridden my quad and it would go to her but she needs electric start. Especially kicking over my quad with the modded motor. Not woman kicking friendly! No pun intended.

so the end result was KFX and raptor. I was advised she hates a raptor!

She would do fine without reverse! She can learn to avoid situations where she would need it and if something happened where she would need it then get off your bike and help her :P ...seriously she is perfectly capable of handling a bike without reverse, don't forget the Z400 is a heavy a$$ bike, the 450's are all lighter.

The Z400 is wider, longer and faster than the KFX450...The KFX is a sport quad just like the Z400, it's not a race bike like the Yam/Suz/Honda 450's. :barf:

Stock the widest 450's stock are the LTR and YFZ at about 49". The Honda and Kawi are the same at about 46". The Z400 is 47".

Wide rims are the cheapest way to make a bike wider and more stable...don't remember what she is using??

My LTR is like 52"...I also have an extended axle, so it's wide both front and rear...almost impossible to roll. I've had girls who have never ridden in the dunes before transitioning razors on my bike without ever feeling like they were going to roll.

If you decide not to buy something before next season she is welcome to try out my LTR and I'm sure Jim wouldn't mind her trying his YFZ. I agree I don't like the Raptors either.

If I was going to upgrade anything on my Z400 I'd have changed out the shocks, that bike is way too stiff and with a softer ride you can go faster! With basic mods it's just as fast as a stock 450, I don't know what mods she has done?

If she likes her Z400 might it be worth it to just buy some black plastics, do some basic mods, get better shocks and tires/rims?

IMO she would be disappointed in the KFX, it's nothing better than the Z400.

Good luck :lol: .