2006 Silverado Steering wheel controls

mineurbiz

I have been searching the net on replacing the steering wheel controls. One site a guy posted to disconnect the battery, pop out the airbag and then wiggle out the lights because they are just pressed in. Does the following sound right?

"You disconnect the battery, wait 5min (for the airbag) remove the airbag, pop out the buttons from inside the wheel, they are just pushed in the spokes of the wheel. The only problem I had getting them out was with the wire harness attached to them. It's real short so you have to carefully wiggle them around to get them out far enough to get to the wire harness. Once you have them out you can carefully dissasemble them (they are just cliped together, I used a very small screwdriver) and pop out the circut board where the bulbs are soldered on. Use a small soldering iron to remove the bulbs and don't loose the little white sockets from the bulbs (you will re-use them). Then (or now) go to your local Radio Shack and buy some micro lamps # 272-1092 (two per pack and each button contains two bulbs). Re-attach the bulbs to the sockets, (there will be two styles of sockets used if you do them all) and re solder them to the boards. Sounds complicated but it's relly not just make sure you have a small enough soldering iron and be careful not to touch the resistors near the bulbs with the iron. I used a butane soldering iron I had from Mac Tools and it worked perfect. BTW the airbag comes off with a small flat screwdriver that fits in the little holes onthe sides of the wheel. You have to push the silver spring clips in on each side and it will release. "

I have been searching the net on replacing the steering wheel controls. One site a guy posted to disconnect the battery, pop out the airbag and then wiggle out the lights because they are just pressed in. Does the following sound right?

"You disconnect the battery, wait 5min (for the airbag) remove the airbag, pop out the buttons from inside the wheel, they are just pushed in the spokes of the wheel. The only problem I had getting them out was with the wire harness attached to them. It's real short so you have to carefully wiggle them around to get them out far enough to get to the wire harness. Once you have them out you can carefully dissasemble them (they are just cliped together, I used a very small screwdriver) and pop out the circut board where the bulbs are soldered on. Use a small soldering iron to remove the bulbs and don't loose the little white sockets from the bulbs (you will re-use them). Then (or now) go to your local Radio Shack and buy some micro lamps # 272-1092 (two per pack and each button contains two bulbs). Re-attach the bulbs to the sockets, (there will be two styles of sockets used if you do them all) and re solder them to the boards. Sounds complicated but it's relly not just make sure you have a small enough soldering iron and be careful not to touch the resistors near the bulbs with the iron. I used a butane soldering iron I had from Mac Tools and it worked perfect. BTW the airbag comes off with a small flat screwdriver that fits in the little holes onthe sides of the wheel. You have to push the silver spring clips in on each side and it will release. "

thedieselplace.com or mcratracing.com .. I think I seen a DIY write up on one of those... look in the doo it yourself thread (DIY)

Capt

• 3 weeks later...