First Toyhauler purchase..got questions.

shiftace

I've searched a couple years worth of back threads in the last few hours and gathered a ton of info, but am still lacking a few morsels. I'm really behind the 8 ball here and attempting to make a hauler purchase based on my toys, family size and truck capabilities. Problem is I can't get out of my truck anytime soon and it's not exactly a torque monster towing machine. It's an 06 Tundra 4.7 4wd. It's has the Toyota "tow package" which doesn't mean all that much but from what I've learned it means I can tow 6700#'s max. Which doesn't make my search very easy. My family size (4) and toys (450r, 300ex, 90ex) isn't changing so I need a decent sized rig. I've been looking at 20-24ft rigs but the weights vary greatly with these. If my math is right all 3 of my bikes come to 1000#'s almost exactly. That leaves me with 5700, now 100gals approx of water, 18-30gals of fuel and propane is somewhere in the 1000# range I think. That puts me at 4700 dry weight. Thats where I find problems, I'd like to be under the gross max of course to err on the side of caution so lets say 4000-4300 dry. I cant fit my situation in an 18fter comfortably and I'd like to have 2 queens preferably 3 queens so that usually means ft sleeper and min of 22ft. If I can get the rig I want/need now and nurse my Tundra along for a year or 2 until I can upgrade that would be perfect. I've read here many times not to under buy a hauler and go too small that I'd regret it. I did find that WW Zero Gravity's are quite light for their size but pricey to say the least. Any feedback is appreciated and if you can cite a thread I may have missed with all these answers that would be choice as well. Thanks in advance

-mike

I think it will be hard to find a toy hauler that has a front sleeper for the tundra that you have. Carson has some good trailers for a good price you could get the xl front kitchen 28.6 ft that has a cargo room of 18.10ft to the first cabinet and only weigths 7,000 pounds(cargo+load) here's some pics

post-3691-087001400 1287365863_thumb.jpg

post-3691-003477300 1287365895_thumb.jpg

they also have other models to just go to theur web site

Edited by THE BIG E

I think it will be hard to find a toy hauler that has a front sleeper for the tundra that you have. Carson has some good trailers for a good price you could get the xl front kitchen 28.6 ft that has a cargo room of 18.10ft to the first cabinet and only weigths 7,000 pounds(cargo+load) here's some pics

post-3691-087001400 1287365863_thumb.jpg

post-3691-003477300 1287365895_thumb.jpg

they also have other models to just go to theur web site

I would not want to be behind anybody in a Tundra, frontier or short bed truck towing a 28' trailer period. My advice and I have been through everything from a tent to a motorhome and everything in between is find a way to work yourself out of the truck. Maybe find a dealer that has a full size 3/4 ton gas or diesel that you could work a RV and truck deal on. If you have good credit and a little cash you should be able to get out of the tundra. However be careful of what you choose as you are going to be buried big time in the rv and truck. But in this economy dealers are putting deals together that they normally wouldn't look at.

If your in Vegas go talk to Pat at Johnny Walker's main store and see if he can help. Tell him Terry sent you.

dont forget you can put 2 of the quads in the bed of your truck. that drops 500lbs off your "pulling capacity" and puts it as bed weight. your toyota should have a 1000llbs capacity in the bed, + your pulling weight, but you need to subract tounge weight, if im not mistaken, you can even make it a heavy half with airbags as long as your tires and wheels have a higher rating. easylift hitch will also disbrute some tounge weight to the front axel. then your battle becomes engine tourqe and rearend gear ratio. lower gears will multiply your tourqe. either way however with that small truck and a family of 4 your never gonna get all the room you need, so think short term. till you can upgrade, maybe consider used. for resale purposes. get some time under your belt and you will know exactly what you need in a trailer. i think 16 to 18 is gonna be your range. thats my 2 cents gl

thanks fella's. the wife and I were discussing that today about upsizing the truck either first or at the same time as a hauler purch...which would likely mean me selling one or both of my Harleys. The thought of that, a few years ago would have made me puke but I think it's time to get back to doing family stuff instead of daddy stuff and the kids can't come along on the bikes so the choice is pretty easy. We spent all day Sat going from dealer to dealer and the ones that did have some haulers on the lot were pretty slim. The JW, Findlay and camping world sales guys all slammed Carson products..hard. Was this warranted or just competition bashing? We only got to visit the hend Carson lot and checked out a few which were decent..filthy inside and out, but we got the point. I'm gonna put up some ads for my H-D's and see if I can off em. Then go truck shopping too I guess lol. Thats a whole new thread haha. I've never really cared much for trucks anyway, only got a Tundra because I've worked for Toyota for 14yrs, but we've never had heavy duty stuff so it never was an issue. I'll keep scouring craigslist and the want ads for a rig and a truck too I guess. Better calls wells fargo and see if they wanna loan a bro some $$$.

Our first toyhauler was a 2002 Carson Funrunner 26ft. We special ordered it from the dealer here in Henderson. Had it for 3 1/2 years until we "upgraded" to our WW 5th wheel. Don't get me wrong, I love my WW, but we never had one problem with the Carson. Wish I could say that about the Weekend Warrior. In my opinion, those other guys are just talking smack because they know the Carson's are cheaper. Sure they are not luxury, but for an entry level toyhauler, suited us just fine. Hope that helps

chopper get ahold of me, i talked to West over at Walker about thirty thousand times in the past few days, and i have a little info for ya, (julie and i are hauler shopping too, now we are waitin on the credit union to give it their blessing..lol) he and i talked a bit about what your lookin for and what your drivin. hit me up

• 2 weeks later...

my 2 cents....I bought a 24' Carson brand new for around 14k back in 2004 and it NEVER had to go back to the dealer, had zero problems with it. I sold it 3 years later for around 12k..only lost 2k in 3 years because it was so cheap to start with. We only sold it to upgrade to something a little better equipped. :beercheers:

thanks fella's. the wife and I were discussing that today about upsizing the truck either first or at the same time as a hauler purch...which would likely mean me selling one or both of my Harleys. The thought of that, a few years ago would have made me puke but I think it's time to get back to doing family stuff instead of daddy stuff and the kids can't come along on the bikes so the choice is pretty easy. We spent all day Sat going from dealer to dealer and the ones that did have some haulers on the lot were pretty slim. The JW, Findlay and camping world sales guys all slammed Carson products..hard. Was this warranted or just competition bashing? We only got to visit the hend Carson lot and checked out a few which were decent..filthy inside and out, but we got the point. I'm gonna put up some ads for my H-D's and see if I can off em. Then go truck shopping too I guess lol. Thats a whole new thread haha. I've never really cared much for trucks anyway, only got a Tundra because I've worked for Toyota for 14yrs, but we've never had heavy duty stuff so it never was an issue. I'll keep scouring craigslist and the want ads for a rig and a truck too I guess. Better calls wells fargo and see if they wanna loan a bro some $$$.

What kind of harley's do you have?

Do you want my frieghtliner and LQ trlr as a combination package?

Let's talk.

https://www.doghouserepair.com/store/item/10745

https://www.doghouserepair.com/store/item/10527

When you're looking at trailers the weight they give is never the actual weight. Different manufacturers have different methods I think. Regardless, anything that is an option, even if they put it in every trailer, isn't included in the weight. Generator, A/C, Fuel station and entertainment systems come to mind. Sometimes I think they weigh the empty trailer then put all the stuff in. My 40' fifth is listed at 7400lbs. 80water(640lb), 900lb buggy, Raptor(470lb?), 400EX(450lb?), 50G fuel(300lb), maybe 500lb of tools and spare parts. Trailer weighs 12K or more heading out. I carry a lot of beer but 1500lbs worth?