When to use your turn signal

Doghouse

I left Dumont to head home to Pahrump. So I'm lumbering down the road at 55 in my 14+ ton rig going home Sunday morning. I'm behind 2 pickups pulling bumper pull toyhaulers. They're going faster then me so they're up ahead a ways as we come through the S curves before the Tecopa turn off. Then they both start to slow down as they enter 'the approach' to the turn off. This tells me they're going to turn off. Not the use of turn signals mind you, just slowing down. I hit both jakes and let off the gas in anticipation. We're almost on top of the turn off now and now here comes the point of no return question, do I grab nineth gear and get ready to slam on the binders or ride it out since I still don't see a turn signal? I decide to grab nineth. We're AT the turn and sure enough NOW the turn signals come on! The jakes rumble to life and all my brakes are grabbing as I slide up to their rear ends.

There's still plenty of room mind you, for me to avoid hitting them as I slide past them. Plenty of room is about 15'. I've got a pretty beefy bumper and I'm sure I could have put that toyhaulers tailgate into the kitchen without much damage to myself.

So, when do you use your turn signal?

You should start thinking about it 20 seconds out, depending on your speed and what's behind you, of course. Certainly you should have it blinking 5 one second counts out from the turn.

You never know when you have someone behind you that's 'on the edge'.

I left Dumont to head home to Pahrump. So I'm lumbering down the road at 55 in my 14+ ton rig going home Sunday morning. I'm behind 2 pickups pulling bumper pull toyhaulers. They're going faster then me so they're up ahead a ways as we come through the S curves before the Tecopa turn off. Then they both start to slow down as they enter 'the approach' to the turn off. This tells me they're going to turn off. Not the use of turn signals mind you, just slowing down. I hit both jakes and let off the gas in anticipation. We're almost on top of the turn off now and now here comes the point of no return question, do I grab nineth gear and get ready to slam on the binders or ride it out since I still don't see a turn signal? I decide to grab nineth. We're AT the turn and sure enough NOW the turn signals come on! The jakes rumble to life and all my brakes are grabbing as I slide up to their rear ends.

There's still plenty of room mind you, for me to avoid hitting them as I slide past them. Plenty of room is about 15'. I've got a pretty beefy bumper and I'm sure I could have put that toyhaulers tailgate into the kitchen without much damage to myself.

So, when do you use your turn signal?

You should start thinking about it 20 seconds out, depending on your speed and what's behind you, of course. Certainly you should have it blinking 5 one second counts out from the turn.

You never know when you have someone behind you that's 'on the edge'.

Turnsignals are merely a myth, they dont exist. That is why nobody ever uses them.

I drove a 35' crane around Hollywood and LA for 2 years, I feel your pain.

Sounds like everyday for me. Running close to 80,000 with live loads(tankers). Yesterday, I had my signal on for 20 sec. @ the bottom of my on ramp where the 2 lanes merge into 1. Stinking mfers had to keep trying to pass, even though I was on the bumper of a line of cars( I wasn't going any slower than anyone else). With nowhere else to go, I just merged it over, and this pickup kept fighting for position; he ended up on the shoulder telling me I was number 1 :flipoff:

People's inconsideration leads to many accidents, as well as road rage. We get pretty ticked when we're dealing with this all day long! I had to change my signature after yesterday to my favorite "DRIVING" song :boxer::beat::guns::stick_smack::pissed:

I feel your pain. Im at about the same weight and 65 ft long. I always use my signals out on the road.....but in town, its like a sign to f myself. I can signal in vegas on I 15 for 14 miles and never be allowed to move....I ve even been denied when the lane is closing.......Thats the best.

Its like driving a hybrid.....(which I drive) I can be going 90 mph and people will have to pass me....then slow down. they just cant be behind a hybrid.