Glamis Fatalities Yesterday.

Ross and Alice

Off the CHP website:

Incident: 0363 Type: Possible Fatality Location: GLAMIS Zoom Map: 6265 3J info as of: 9/2/2006 3:41:07 PM

ADDITIONAL DETAILS

11:55AM LINE 27 IS 1144 SUBJ

11:53AM FINAL 1144 / 1015 23153

10:19AM 1039 85-5 - ENRT

10:19AM 44 ADV 5 THAT MY UNIT WAS HIT BY ICSD UNIT

9:40AM 44 WILL HANDLE BLOOD DRAW ON SCENE

9:40AM 44 1022 21 MERCY AIR IS 1097

9:14AM 44 SEE IF 11 CAN 1198 AT PMH FOR BLOOD

9:14AM 1039 85-44 REQ 21 RESPOND FOR POSS BLOOD DRAW ON DRIVER

9:11AM 1141 ALMOST 1097

9:11AM ICSO SGT ADV THE 1144 IS THE PASSENGER

9:07AM ADV OF EXT ETA FUELING IN HOLTVILLE

9:07AM 1039 85-44 / 5

9:06AM INJURED PERSON STILL ON SCENE

9:05AM 1039 85-5 (OIC)

9:02AM THIS IS AN OFF-ROAD T/C

9:01AM ONE 1144

A Banshee ridden by a couple crashed at high speed approx 4:00 to 7:00 AM yesterday morning near the Glamis Beach Store.

(This time of Year events are held late at night/early morning).

It's suspected the couple laid on the scene for several hours before being discovered.

The female passenger killed at the scene,, rumor that the male may have died later in the day.

Quote by someone at the scene:

My girlfriend and I just happened to stop by the beach store on the way from Niland to the river after doing some hunting.

We arrived at the store about 20 minutes after the two were found. There were about 7 friends around, half of them crying, and 3 store employees. We took the mans pulse. It quick and strong, but he was in and out of conciousness. Her eyes were swollen and a blackish purple. There was alot of blood from her mouth and nose.

I asked for a sheet to cover the girl as the friend were falling apart, but the store emplyees were adamant about touching nothing as this was on store property and BLM was on the way. I said a little prayer with my hand on the mans foot gave my condolences to the friends and left.

It appears that they may have been riding (at high speed) over a 4' pile of 8' long telephone pole rounds and crashed.

Both were wearing helmets. It looked as if the man removed his own as well as the girls helmet and tried to give her water. I looked for damage to the helmets. Both were scraped but not much else. Hers was full of blood.

My first impulse was to get the camera out, but I quicky saw the disrespect in it, and glad I did. I have never seen a dead body before and will not soon forget the images in my head.

Very scary.

-----------------------------------

We never ride double, and we rarely ride at nite.

Edited by Ross and Alice

It's essential to know what caused it, so you and your family can avoid making the same mistake.

Riding double doesnt work in the sand for most especially when drinking.

Hold the thought that this is very rare of the tens of thousands of trips (perhaps much more all added up) people take at the dunes each season.

Ambulance makes an occasional vist to the little league fields by my home,, shows that with sports ya get injuries,, with precautions and good sense they don't have to be fatal.

That's sad to hear. We all need to stop and think EVERY time we go out and play in the dunes. It is a very dangerous sport, but most accidents that happen out there are usually avoidable. There are rules for a reason- SAFETY. It's very unfortunate to hear of these kinds of accidents. Hopefully this kind of news hits home for most everyone and they all take extra precautions at the dunes. I know I do every time.

• 2 weeks later...

ya I was there, I think they hit like a bunch of scrap metal and flew over the bars and probably snapped there neck but I didnt want to say anything cause I wasnt sure. They brought in the police helicopter and everything, its a very sad story.

Very sad reality. I see this all of the time. The riders were DUI according to the posted CHP detail sheet. and the driver was charged with 23153 VC (DUI resulting in death or injury) if he lived. Terrible thing.