Chevy ?

andydew

Got me an edge evolution programmer on my duramax a while back. Just got got from my first trip up some hills, in 100* + temps, with the programmer installed. My programmer is flashing water temp. warning starting @ 226*...It got up to 230* once, but I kept backing out of it to maintain no warning.

My question is: where is the red line on the diesel's water temp? I know from experience :dope: that a big rig can stick it's rings @ 220*, but what can these lil' motors handle safely? I also noticed that the engine fan didn't kick on until 228-230*, so I'm wondering if I just need to reset the perameters of the programmer?

What was the egt when you were that hot pulling a hill,Assuming you were on tow setting?

Btw..are you going to post water gopro video or what?

EGT's were low, which is what puzzled me...maybe 1150-1300*

I was on the weakest tow setting as well, pulling 6,500-ish lbs. of boat; and feather footing the money pedal to save on fuel... :dunno:

And heck yah, I'll post it.......just give me about a month to relearn my editing software :laughing: I gotta edit/delete all the wakeboard fails :idiot:

• 9 months later...

I got another diesel question for our resident chevy dudes:

I got my smog notice in the mail...no problemo; I reset the programmer to stock, I unbolted the good stuff, and bolted back on the cat. conv. and the dpf. The DIC in the dash is saying I need to clean exh. filter. I read to do this, you gotta drive above 30mph for 20 minutes. So after an hour drive on the freeways sat, burning up all my fuel, I sadly realize that it's not cleaning...that, or the ECM is stuck in this error message. This message was up when I installed the programmer, which makes me think when I return it to stock, that maybe that code was revived.

One other possibility :shake: ...I had stored the c/c and the dpf in my shop, right next to the rigs( and it's fuel tanks) that burned. Could my problem be that the DPF got so hot, something inside melted, which is causing this message? I don't mean to sound dumb, but I don't know what is in those DPFs...valving? moving components? screens? anything aluminum(meltable)? i don't know :dunno:

I was able to delete the code and get it "passed" at the local smog station. My plan is to run it like I have been, with the programmer minus the dpf, but I'd really like to know if the DPF is actually fine, which it sounds like it's working btw, or if I'm gonna have to replace it :assblast:

Anyone got any ideas?

If you had a code it might have been preventing a regen from running. As far as the dpf, the exhaust reaches temperatures upwards of 1400° or so during a regeneration, so I highly doubt it got damaged. I'm not sure what exactly the filter is made up of, but I'm guessing mostly metal screens. No moving parts. ;)