Since this seems to be a hot topic right now

ynot

WE ALL NEED TO READ THIS AND GET ACTIVE!

OFF-ROADER APATHY! (DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME READING THIS)

FROM: Roy Denner, Recreation Representative on the BLM California Desert District Advisory Council

As you may know, the Desert District Advisory Council (DAC) is composed of 15 people from various interest groups who advise the BLM on management of the California Desert District. The California Desert District covers portions of 8 counties and includes over 10 million acres of public land. As the recreation representative on the DAC, I have attended the Council meetings and have reported events having significant impact to the off-road community.

Probably the most significant activity having impact on OHV recreation ever to happen is the current effort by the BLM to develop a National Off-Highway Vehicle Management Strategy. I reported on this after the last DAC meeting and provided methods and contacts for comment. I just learned that the comments are running 5 to 1 against motorized activities. I can only conclude that the environmental organizations really care and the off-road community doesn't give a damn!

On October 21 & 22 in Barstow, the DAC will be holding its next meeting. Items on the agenda include:

1. Update on the National OHV Management Strategy

2. Recreation Fee District Policy - A plan to charge fees at all recreation areas.

3. A briefing on the lawsuit by the Center for Biological Diversity - an attempt to close down the Imperial Sand Dunes.

4. Development of a California Desert District Non-Profit Association to assist in development of an action plan.

I am only one of 15 people sitting on the DAC. More importantly, I am the only recreation representative who speaks for off-road recreation (vehicle (http://www.4x4wire.com/access/notices/blm/ca_blm_dac.htm#) and non-vehicle). If the sad response to the request for input on the new OHV Management Strategy is to be my guidline, I AM WASTING MY TIME!! OFF-ROAD RECREATIONISTS DON'T CARE!! And while I'm doing my job, I'm destroying my credibility with the BLM.

So, here's my ultimatum (don't laugh too hard if you're still with me)! Unless I see an overwhelming turnout of off-road recreationist in Barstow on the 20th & 21st of October to provide support for our form of recreation, I will assume that I am not representing the off-road community in a proper manner and will resign from the DAC. I am not the kind of person who can sit quietly on this council while opportunities for off-road recreation are continually being eroded from all directions. I spend too much time and lose too much sleep over this situation to be representing the off-road community in the wrong way. I'm sure a more complacent, non-emotional, representative can be found. There are obviously lots of you out there. My family will be delighted to have me back.

Incidentally, I am the DAC representative on the Imperial Sand Dunes Recreation Area Technical Review Team - an organization that advises the BLM on how user fees should be expended. Since I would no longer be a DAC representative, I would obviously not be the representative from the DAC on the ISDRA TRT.

If you're through laughing at my ultimatum, and are not too busy with other more important issues to give up a day in your life to help keep public lands open for use by the public, you might consider making the relatively short drive to Barstow on Saturday, October 21st. That is the actual DAC meeting day. The public is also welcome on the Field Tour which will take place on Friday, October 20. Information follows:

MEETING PLACE: City Council Chambers at City Hall 220 East Mountain View Barstow, California Saturday, Oct. 21, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. go west on Main St. and rt. on East Mountain View

HOTEL WHERE DAC MEMBERS ARE STAYING: Holiday Inn 1511 East Main St. Barstow, CA (760) 256-5673

For more information, or copies of the agenda, call Doran Sanchez at the BLM CA Desert District Office: (909) 697-5220

If it doesn't cause too much of an impact on your time, please consider forwarding this message to other off-roaders who probably won't care either.

Edited by ynot

Wow, I know it can be hard to be on a board. It must be very hard to be on a board where most people are against you.

As I have said before I am willing to support whenever, wherever, and however I can. Because of my work schedule it makes it very hard for me to make many of these meetings. I do plan on the one next week.

The dates in the letter above are off, just to clarify. Friday is the 21st, and Saturday is the 22nd.

Where is the Feild Tour at? I don't work till later on Friday and could make this.

I do think you are fighting an uphill battle, and highly respect your time and efforts. Thank you.

The Ecoterrorists are always going to mobelize and be out there, that's why they keep winning. Its part of the nature of us offroaders VS Treehuggers. At some point the offroad community is going to realize that everything is closed and there isn't anywhere to ride, then what. It's going to be a VERY big hill to climb to get anything back.

It's too bad the meeting isn't after the halloween weekend where you might be able to drum up some more attention and get people there. This may be dumb but what about starting a facebook page for FoDD or something like that for another outlet to get info out. If people "like" the page then when meetings and events come up you can find them there. Forums like this one always have members but generally don't have many active memebers or ones that just come and go. ABSOLUTLEY nothing against this site, forum, or members in anyway. But using FB, emails, whatever to be able to blast out to the OHV community may help, at least a little.

Please let me know if you think I can help you.

WE ALL NEED TO READ THIS AND GET ACTIVE!

OFF-ROADER APATHY! (DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME READING THIS)

FROM: Roy Denner, Recreation Representative on the BLM California Desert District Advisory Council

As you may know, the Desert District Advisory Council (DAC) is composed of 15 people from various interest groups who advise the BLM on management of the California Desert District. The California Desert District covers portions of 8 counties and includes over 10 million acres of public land. As the recreation representative on the DAC, I have attended the Council meetings and have reported events having significant impact to the off-road community.

Probably the most significant activity having impact on OHV recreation ever to happen is the current effort by the BLM to develop a National Off-Highway Vehicle Management Strategy. I reported on this after the last DAC meeting and provided methods and contacts for comment. I just learned that the comments are running 5 to 1 against motorized activities. I can only conclude that the environmental organizations really care and the off-road community doesn't give a damn!

On October 21 & 22 in Barstow, the DAC will be holding its next meeting. Items on the agenda include:

1. Update on the National OHV Management Strategy

2. Recreation Fee District Policy - A plan to charge fees at all recreation areas.

3. A briefing on the lawsuit by the Center for Biological Diversity - an attempt to close down the Imperial Sand Dunes.

4. Development of a California Desert District Non-Profit Association to assist in development of an action plan.

I am only one of 15 people sitting on the DAC. More importantly, I am the only recreation representative who speaks for off-road recreation (vehicle (http://www.4x4wire.c...ca_blm_dac.htm#) and non-vehicle). If the sad response to the request for input on the new OHV Management Strategy is to be my guidline, I AM WASTING MY TIME!! OFF-ROAD RECREATIONISTS DON'T CARE!! And while I'm doing my job, I'm destroying my credibility with the BLM.

So, here's my ultimatum (don't laugh too hard if you're still with me)! Unless I see an overwhelming turnout of off-road recreationist in Barstow on the 20th & 21st of October to provide support for our form of recreation, I will assume that I am not representing the off-road community in a proper manner and will resign from the DAC. I am not the kind of person who can sit quietly on this council while opportunities for off-road recreation are continually being eroded from all directions. I spend too much time and lose too much sleep over this situation to be representing the off-road community in the wrong way. I'm sure a more complacent, non-emotional, representative can be found. There are obviously lots of you out there. My family will be delighted to have me back.

Incidentally, I am the DAC representative on the Imperial Sand Dunes Recreation Area Technical Review Team - an organization that advises the BLM on how user fees should be expended. Since I would no longer be a DAC representative, I would obviously not be the representative from the DAC on the ISDRA TRT.

If you're through laughing at my ultimatum, and are not too busy with other more important issues to give up a day in your life to help keep public lands open for use by the public, you might consider making the relatively short drive to Barstow on Saturday, October 21st. That is the actual DAC meeting day. The public is also welcome on the Field Tour which will take place on Friday, October 20. Information follows:

MEETING PLACE: City Council Chambers at City Hall 220 East Mountain View Barstow, California Saturday, Oct. 21, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. go west on Main St. and rt. on East Mountain View

HOTEL WHERE DAC MEMBERS ARE STAYING: Holiday Inn 1511 East Main St. Barstow, CA (760) 256-5673

For more information, or copies of the agenda, call Doran Sanchez at the BLM CA Desert District Office: (909) 697-5220

If it doesn't cause too much of an impact on your time, please consider forwarding this message to other off-roaders who probably won't care either.

Athough everything about the lack of motivation of Off Roaders is 100% true this letter was written some time ago.

Mr. Denner passed away awhile back and is sorely missed by all who continue to keep public lands open.

My apoligies for not researching this prior to this posting this morning.

This may be dumb but what about starting a facebook page for FoDD or something like that for another outlet to get info out. If people "like" the page then when meetings and events come up you can find them there. Forums like this one always have members but generally don't have many active memebers or ones that just come and go. ABSOLUTLEY nothing against this site, forum, or members in anyway. But using FB, emails, whatever to be able to blast out to the OHV community may help, at least a little.

I had the same idea I was going to recommend to Terry as well. I think it's a great idea for FoDD. thumb.gif

But at the same time, any important information is already posted on our homepage, our FB page and of course this forum. Not trying to brag or anything, but this site gets the most traffic when it comes to the Dumont Dunes community. I have come to realize there isn't a very large part of the community that gives a damn enough to get involved. Pretty sad, but it's the truth. People just want to go have their fun and then b*tch about the fees and whatever else they think should be done about the place without getting involved.

I had the same idea I was going to recommend to Terry as well. I think it's a great idea for FoDD. thumb.gif

But at the same time, any important information is already posted on our homepage, our FB page and of course this forum. Not trying to brag or anything, but this site gets the most traffic when it comes to the Dumont Dunes community. I have come to realize there isn't a very large part of the community that gives a damn enough to get involved. Pretty sad, but it's the truth. People just want to go have their fun and then b*tch about the fees and whatever else they think should be done about the place without getting involved.

YUP!!!!!!!