What I Did on My Summer Vacation

pjcnlv

I took up metal fab last spring. I had no idea what I was doing, no training and no clues. My goal was to fit all of our family OHV's on my flatbed so that our rig was just shy of 65' long - the Kalifornia length limit.

The base trailer is a 10k GVWR, Carson RV Special. It has big axles, a big frame and brakes on both axles. The paint looked like it was applied from left over Testors model airplane cans and that can only be testament to the stupid exco-extortion laws in the Kommie run state to my left.

I bought a nice little Miller 175 MIG welder, a cheap chop saw and I dug out my old carpenters square and went to it. Before I cut, welded or ground (I did a lot of grinding), I used Microsoft Visio to get my dimensions spot on (The rig has an inch to spare going through the shop door).

The trailer deck was my second project. The first project was a mobile cart for my trusty Bradley Smoker "R2D2". It has some special geometry, to say the least.

Anywaze, the top deck came out great and I have enrolled in the Wizard Fab class and man-o-man have I learned some technique and tricks. I am not sure what the next project is but, I am pretty sure it will move under it's own power albeit with small humans at the controls only.

post-515-1161573348.jpg

post-515-1161573364.jpg

post-515-1161573377.jpg

post-515-1161573389.jpg

That's R2D2 smoking some brisket in the bottom right corner.

The total investment is about $5750 excluding my time.

We'll be at Rasor Rd this comming weekend, 10/27-29. See this thread if ya wanna void the crowds at Dumont. http://www.dumontduneriders.com/invision/i...?showtopic=1984

See you all in the dez!

Looks good, have you towed it yet?

Yup! Did a 20 mile shakedown. All good. The trailer has a 10k gvwr. I expect some cracking on the original trailer in a few years. When that happens, I will rip up all the floor boards and reinforce the lower side rails in the front.