How much horsepower?

Randog

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are so many variables the only thing a chassi dyno is good for is if you repeatedly use the same one for testing. The actual number is virtually worthless. First there is what kind of dyno? Dynojets are commonly way higher then say a mustang dyno. Second there is sae or corrected? Then there are those factors, temp, hum, altitude, etc....and if the operator inputs any? Then the gears in the car, final drive ratio, effects calculated rwhp. The gear they do the pull in also effects the hp. Tire size, and the angle at which the tie downs are applied. I ve seen nearly 100 hp swings with no change in the car, depending on these factors. Dyno operators know that people like big numbers, so which way do you thnk they will fudge?

Typically about 14.5 psi will double the na output. Timing can effect rwhp just as much as psi in some areas. 1 degree here or there or the fuel, which effects timing etc....

I like the mustang dyno personally, I dyno a car on the mustang, if it makes 360 on there it will go 400-410 on the dyno jet.

I hate to say it, but most of the hp numbers I hear in sand world seem very high, esspecially for what I ve seen done. Being that I know alot about and build and tune ls1's everyday, this is my reference. Most ls1 sand cars seem very over rated imo. Ofcourse , just like on the pavement, tire choice seems to be just as important in the sand which most never expiriment with or ever get timed in the sand anyways, just like suspensions.

along with this is a couple of other things when they test for the magazines they tweak the hp up so high the car wont run very long get the big number then back it down. they do it for the magazines. westech in miraloma cal. is about the best ive seen they give you dynojet and corrected mine for example is 583 hp to the rear wheels on dynojet but on factory rating i run 548 rwhp mines turned down to these numbers. it is ridiculous and im backing mine off. after i race a ken bell blown 427 ls1. that eyeball just biult then im going down into 480s for rwhp

That has to be the best looking S.T.I. block I have ever seen. :north_pole:

I was thinking the same thing! Got the old motor torn down and the STI is on the stand now with the oil pan parts on and the water pump. Will get the new oil pump tomorrow and I should have the motor ready to go back in!

post-1617-1164853228.jpg

post-1617-1164853311.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

That is really good to hear! How much power did your motor make at 18? Have you ever had it higher than that?

it makes about 450hp (give or take) at sea level after being detuned. 425hp at salt lake altitude on an engine dyno, and my EM has the parameters to change the wastegate spring up to a 22lb psi spring and still be safe. I have never had it at a higher boost setting as it is more than enough already. I have only ever put it in 4th gear 1 time.

it makes about 450hp (give or take) at sea level after being detuned. 425hp at salt lake altitude on an engine dyno, and my EM has the parameters to change the wastegate spring up to a 22lb psi spring and still be safe. I have never had it at a higher boost setting as it is more than enough already. I have only ever put it in 4th gear 1 time.

Thanks!

I got everything done and took it down to Outback for a dyno session. From what I hear (from Johns himself) is that he has the most stingy dyno around but anyway here are the numbers...

Boost controller off: 6 psi = 195 whp (pump gas)

Lo setting 15 psi : = 280 whp

Hi setting 20 psi := 320 whp

John estimated the hp at the crank to be somewhere around 480. With my last setting I had 209 whp so the sti block allowed me a 111 whp increase! I am very excited and would have tuned for more psi, but my injectors were getting close to 100% at the rev-limiter at 20.

:DDRrocks:

post-1617-1165706883.jpg

post-1617-1165706905.jpg

post-1617-1165706929.jpg

Edited by KFalcon

• 1 month later...

can a volkswagon keep up with you guys in the dunes?

Well shurrrrr!

But, It ALL depends on how much cold BEER he has in his cooler. :laughoff:

Ya see, Ditchin' the guy with the beer is an amateur mistake in the first place. :ninja::slap:

I think most Mutha Bitchezzz would agree. :slap:

So, to answer your question. I bring my own. You figure the rest out. :slap::slap:

:dance: :dance: :dance:

BTW peeps, this 'crazy dave' guy lives up to his name in his VW :thumb:

That a boy RahimDoggyDoggyDogggggg! :thumb::thumb:

i treat my car well and its my buddy, i wish that photo shows the take off 40 ft from where the pic was taken anyways randog always carries my beers so i HAVE to keep up and hammer down see you in the rear view ... oh i mean dunes!!!!!

Edited by crazy dave

My car was ESTIMATED at 450hp two years ago.

My buddy Stu has a Honda 3.5 V-tec Turbo just like mine.

He's running at 7-8lbs of boost.

Yesturday he just had his car on a dyno. It was putting 480hp to the rear wheels.

I was like :thumb:

Any HP guru's out there????? :DDRrocks:

I'm running at 10lbs boost.

How much HP do you think the 2-3 x-tra lbs of boost is adding on my car? :coocoo:

How much HP is Stu getting out of the motor at the flywheel? :dunno:

:rockwoot:

yes, i always get ask how much horsepower i have, in my (sandrocket,) i just tell em it gets me up the hill.

im running a (BUILT) 383 stroker (bowtie) motor with a blower on it w/10lb of boost. it seems plenty fast for me.

but i also have the advantage of not having the front end coming up on me as alot of rear end mounted motors do. my rail is as close to a dragster as you can get. im also using a jaguar rear-end with a 4.86

gear. i'm happy with it. yes im running a built automatic trans as well.

hp is not as important as knowing how to properly drive the thing. and as someone said you need to experiment with tires as well. the smaller the tire the lower gear you have at the rear. etc.

I GUESS THESE DAYS ,ITS NOT THE HP,THAT COUNTS. IT'S HOW YOU USE IT. LOL