How much horsepower?

Randog

My car was ESTIMATED at 450hp two years ago.

My buddy Stu has a Honda 3.5 V-tec Turbo just like mine.

He's running at 7-8lbs of boost.

Yesturday he just had his car on a dyno. It was putting 480hp to the rear wheels.

I was like :shocked2:

Any HP guru's out there????? :dunno:

I'm running at 10lbs boost.

How much HP do you think the 2-3 x-tra lbs of boost is adding on my car? :dunno:

How much HP is Stu getting out of the motor at the flywheel? :dunno:

:driver:

Edited by Randog

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yesturday he just had his car on a dyno. It was putting 480hp to the rear wheels.

I was like :shocked2:

How much HP do you think the 2-3 x-tra lbs of boost is adding on my car? :dunno:

How much HP is Stu getting out of the motor at the flywheel? :dunno:

:driver:

Hey Randy what's up,

480 to the wheels would be close to 600 at the crank. Maybe Stu was getting flywheel #'s and not to the ground, that just seems like alot for a stock motor.

Edited by painterjoe

600 hp on crank! I thought crank was illegal! They'll put you in prison if they catch you with that stuff in your tank. :clap:

Hey Don,

It's only ILLEGAL if you get cought. Untill then you be dancin' like Mutha Bitchezzz :clap:

:dunno::dunno:

Both mine and Randy's motor's are estimated at 450 that would be around 383 to the ground.

Hey Joe,

Yeah, Dave at Hotrails and Carl at V-tec Performance both were guessing two years ago.

They both said that back then. So, I've always told peeps 450hp at the flywheel.

But Stu did have his Dyno'd at 480 to the ground. ????? Who knows :clap:

BTW, Good to see you on DDR. :driver::dunno:

Hey DDR,,,,,,,Painterjoe is WAY effin cool peeps. :shocked2:

There are so many variables the only thing a chassi dyno is good for is if you repeatedly use the same one for testing. The actual number is virtually worthless. First there is what kind of dyno? Dynojets are commonly way higher then say a mustang dyno. Second there is sae or corrected? Then there are those factors, temp, hum, altitude, etc....and if the operator inputs any? Then the gears in the car, final drive ratio, effects calculated rwhp. The gear they do the pull in also effects the hp. Tire size, and the angle at which the tie downs are applied. I ve seen nearly 100 hp swings with no change in the car, depending on these factors. Dyno operators know that people like big numbers, so which way do you thnk they will fudge?

Typically about 14.5 psi will double the na output. Timing can effect rwhp just as much as psi in some areas. 1 degree here or there or the fuel, which effects timing etc....

I like the mustang dyno personally, I dyno a car on the mustang, if it makes 360 on there it will go 400-410 on the dyno jet.

I hate to say it, but most of the hp numbers I hear in sand world seem very high, esspecially for what I ve seen done. Being that I know alot about and build and tune ls1's everyday, this is my reference. Most ls1 sand cars seem very over rated imo. Ofcourse , just like on the pavement, tire choice seems to be just as important in the sand which most never expiriment with or ever get timed in the sand anyways, just like suspensions.

I hate to say it, but most of the hp numbers I hear in sand world seem very high, esspecially for what I ve seen done. Being that I know alot about and build and tune ls1's everyday, this is my reference. Most ls1 sand cars seem very over rated imo. Ofcourse , just like on the pavement, tire choice seems to be just as important in the sand which most never expiriment with or ever get timed in the sand anyways, just like suspensions.

Exactly, Jon. I always hear people talk about 650, 750 HP Ls1's. :shocked2:

I think they call that "Glamis horsepower" :driver::dunno:

I have had my truck on a Mustang dyno and a Superflow dyno and there was 20 hp difference. Mustang was the highest of the two, 425 corrected and the Superflow was 404 corrected. Torque was Well into the 800's on the Mustang and low 800's on the Superflow. Elevation was similar, outside temps were close. I was only running Hot juice w/Attitude on both occasions, 4" exhaust, air intake and 35" tires. Very typical results for this setup.

There are so many variables the only thing a chassi dyno is good for is if you repeatedly use the same one for testing. The actual number is virtually worthless. First there is what kind of dyno? Dynojets are commonly way higher then say a mustang dyno. Second there is sae or corrected? Then there are those factors, temp, hum, altitude, etc....and if the operator inputs any? Then the gears in the car, final drive ratio, effects calculated rwhp. The gear they do the pull in also effects the hp. Tire size, and the angle at which the tie downs are applied. I ve seen nearly 100 hp swings with no change in the car, depending on these factors. Dyno operators know that people like big numbers, so which way do you thnk they will fudge?

Typically about 14.5 psi will double the na output. Timing can effect rwhp just as much as psi in some areas. 1 degree here or there or the fuel, which effects timing etc....

I like the mustang dyno personally, I dyno a car on the mustang, if it makes 360 on there it will go 400-410 on the dyno jet.

Some great points there for sure. :driver:

And it's obvious that you know a hell of a lot about this stuff.

I've never really cared how much HP I've had, but I just got curious when my buddy came back with that info.

I think it boils down to weather your car performs the way you like it to or not.

In that case I'm cool with it, and I need to keep it running like that. :D

Thanks for your educated input. This is why :shocked2:

R-

I was like :driver:

How much HP is Stu getting out of the motor at the flywheel? :clap:

:dunno:

I don't know if you remember me, but I was one of the guys that stopped you at the bottom of comp during the Halloween weekend and gave you guys a beer. I was with a couple of friends.

Anyway, your car was the fastest car I saw running the hill that weekend. It was very impressive to say the least!

Are you going out there on Thanksgiving? I have a friend that just got a big motor Subaru finished in a 2 seater that would like to follow you up the hill a few times. HAHA :shocked2:

I don't know if you remember me, but I was one of the guys that stopped you at the bottom of comp during the Halloween weekend and gave you guys a beer. I was with a couple of friends.

Anyway, your car was the fastest car I saw running the hill that weekend. It was very impressive to say the least!

Are you going out there on Thanksgiving? I have a friend that just got a big motor Subaru finished in a 2 seater that would like to follow you up the hill a few times. HAHA :driver:

Oh, Right on Kenny, :dunno:

Dude I tell people about you holding out that beer.

That was cool, you were like 'this is all I got to give you'. :dunno:

That was fun shiat that day.

I'm not headed out for T-day. :dunno:

Got to replace the CVs and Heims again BEFORE I go again.

Avoidin' the crouds this time.

Hope you guys have a safe trip and the Subi runs good. :clap:

We'll chill soon bud, :shocked2:

R-

I look forward to it.

We are heading out there on Tuesday, so hopefully we will get a day or so of good sand!

Your car has inspired a few of us. I am running a 10 PSI subaru that I WAS really happy with. I have an new STi block on the motor stand in the garage now... The wife isn't happy but I sure will be! When I get back from this trip the motor is going to be torn down and "built", the boost is going way up bro!

I have a friend that has a stock 3.5. It was hard to tell him about your car but I did. After two weeks of listening to his BS, he ordered a turbo kit...

Another friend just installed a 450 hp leading edge Subi in his 2 seater. This car has only what it needs on it and can't be very heavy. Should be fun!

Wish you were headed out again this time! We will meet up again soon. Thanks for the inspiration. :shocked2:

Some great points there for sure. :argue:

And it's obvious that you know a hell of a lot about this stuff.

I've never really cared how much HP I've had, but I just got curious when my buddy came back with that info.

I think it boils down to weather your car performs the way you like it to or not.

In that case I'm cool with it, and I need to keep it running like that. :D

Thanks for your educated input. This is why :hello:

R-

mutha bitchezz!!!! :thumb: Dude, you better be cool with it, You kicked my a$$ on the hill Like I was a ls1 car. Not very often I get beat, And you took me to school. Randog, your cars the shiatt!!! I do want a rematch though. I wanna race you from a roll. Might help me out a bit. I hate bringing my KNIFE to your GUNFIGHT!!!!! MUTHA BITCHEZZZ!!!!!

I look forward to it.

We are heading out there on Tuesday, so hopefully we will get a day or so of good sand!

Your car has inspired a few of us. I am running a 10 PSI subaru that I WAS really happy with. I have an new STi block on the motor stand in the garage now... The wife isn't happy but I sure will be! When I get back from this trip the motor is going to be torn down and "built", the boost is going way up bro!

I have a friend that has a stock 3.5. It was hard to tell him about your car but I did. After two weeks of listening to his BS, he ordered a turbo kit...

Another friend just installed a 450 hp leading edge Subi in his 2 seater. This car has only what it needs on it and can't be very heavy. Should be fun!

Wish you were headed out again this time! We will meet up again soon. Thanks for the inspiration. :hello:

you have a new 2.5 sti block? if so all you need to do is rings and pistons and it will be damn near bulletproof. that is how mine is built and my boost is turned down to 18psi. after my motor was tuned, and turned down it put out 420 hp on an engine dyno up in Salt Lake area. it is a rocket ship. the last trip on halloween i beat 2 twin turbo ls1 cars. :P

Oh, Right on Kenny, :thumb:

Dude I tell people about you holding out that beer.

That was cool, you were like 'this is all I got to give you'. :thumb:

That was fun shiat that day.

I'm not headed out for T-day. :argue:

Got to replace the CVs and Heims again BEFORE I go again.

Avoidin' the crouds this time.

Hope you guys have a safe trip and the Subi runs good. :shake:

We'll chill soon bud, :hello:

R-

Whatcha mean you ain't goin for T-Day?Who am I suppose to dune with? :laughoff:

Hey Joe,

Yeah, Dave at Hotrails and Carl at V-tec Performance both were guessing two years ago.

They both said that back then. So, I've always told peeps 450hp at the flywheel.

But Stu did have his Dyno'd at 480 to the ground. ????? Who knows :thumb:

BTW, Good to see you on DDR. :thumb: :argue:

Hey DDR,,,,,,,Painterjoe is WAY effin cool peeps. :hello:

Now that I think about it your car runs like it's got way more then 450 . Like you said as long as it performs the way you want it to then who cares about #'s :D .

Hey, thanks for the kind words. :shake:

mutha bitchezz!!!! :thumb: Dude, you better be cool with it, You kicked my a$$ on the hill Like I was a ls1 car. Not very often I get beat, And you took me to school. Randog, your cars the shiatt!!! I do want a rematch though. I wanna race you from a roll. Might help me out a bit. I hate bringing my KNIFE to your GUNFIGHT!!!!! MUTHA BITCHEZZZ!!!!!

:hello: MUTHA BITCHEZZZ!!!!! :thumb:

You effin crack me up.

Tim, You know I'm down for any race. I'm just having a total blast with my car. Sometimes I just don't want to stop the car. Go :shake: Go :laughoff: Go :dolphin: .

I sure hope the motor continues to hold up like it has. and if it doesn't, I sure hope the next block I throw in there runs as well.

This one suprises me every trip. It's been putting up with my abuse and it's three seasons old. :flipoff:

Clutches are getting spanked though. :argue:

I'll be out there soon for the rolling start race :talk030:

Whatcha mean you ain't goin for T-Day?Who am I suppose to dune with? :laughoff:

Sorry Joe :argue:

Mark, Lou and Stu will be out there. And DDR peeps too. :hello::thumb:

Lou bought this car and he plans to have 'for sale' signs on it.

post-591-1164081776.jpg

Now that I think about it your car runs like it's got way more then 450 . Like you said as long as it performs the way you want it to then who cares about #'s :D .

Hey, thanks for the kind words. :thumb:

No prob Bud :shake:

Edited by Randog

you have a new 2.5 sti block? if so all you need to do is rings and pistons and it will be damn near bulletproof. that is how mine is built and my boost is turned down to 18psi. after my motor was tuned, and turned down it put out 420 hp on an engine dyno up in Salt Lake area. it is a rocket ship. the last trip on halloween i beat 2 twin turbo ls1 cars. :P

Rings and pistons are going in along with some head work. I can't wait! 420 sound really good to me! What clutch and CVs are you running? How are they holding up?

Leaving for Dumont in 6 hours!

Rings and pistons are going in along with some head work. I can't wait! 420 sound really good to me! What clutch and CVs are you running? How are they holding up?

Leaving for Dumont in 6 hours!

i am running race prepped 930 cv's with chromoly cages....and the clutch is is a 6 puck dual diaphram. a single disc clutch couldn't handle the hp, it cooked on the engine dyno. :thumb:

i am running race prepped 930 cv's with chromoly cages....and the clutch is is a 6 puck dual diaphram. a single disc clutch couldn't handle the hp, it cooked on the engine dyno. :thumb:

I run a single 9" 6-puc disc. :thumb:

It doesn't like being in my car at all though. :finger:

But It holds up with my 3800lb stage4 KEP presure plate. :laughoff:

I change the disc and rebuild the pressure plate once a season.

Also resurface the flywheel.

However:

The non staggered silver splined disc I have in there now is not a KEP.

Although SU sold it in a bag with a KEP sticker on it. :woo_hoo:

Kennedy said their discs all have a black splined hub and they are staggered pucs.

I ran the silver hubed one anyways this time.

It was slipping this last trip when I got it toasty:shake:

I let it cool down and it was hookin' up again. :D

Watch for non-genuine products. :thumb:

I'd like to go with the dual disc when they come out with a 9" version.

I heard only the 8" is available at this time.

CV's only last a season. :laughoff:

I'm going to race prep my own this weekend.

R-

My friends Subaru ran well most of the weekend. Blew the turbo un Friday at the hill. He was climbing the hill and he saw the boost suddenly spike to approximately 20PSI and the wheel came up violently! He shut it down and coasted down the hill. We pulled the turbo and ran it the rest of the weekend.

My car felt fast until he got next to me...

The motor is already pulled out of my car, I will start the STI block and big turbo install tomorrow. I can't let him hand to me that bad... HAHA

Had a great time.

Will post more tomorrow.

post-1617-1164689671.jpg