WELD, SAFE OR NOT SAFE?

OGP

This past thanksgiving, I was out riding my rhino and I heard a funky snapping noise. I stopped my rhino and noticed the whip had fallen forward. MUTHA BITCHEZZ!!!!! It was at night so I couldnt tell what had happened. When I got back to camp and got out a flashlight. I saw that the mounting tab my whip was mounted to had broken off. When it broke, It also cracked my roof. I was pretty bummed out about this. I PAID ALOT OF MONEY on this roof and this rear cage. The Guy that did the work on my rhino is know to be a little pricey, But his work has always seemed to be of good quality. I am going to call him and see if he will stand behind his product and fix this weld and replace my roof. Im not a welder, But it seems to me, that this is not normal or a weld holding a whip on shouldnt break. Im also concerned that the same guy welded on my seat belt mounting tabs on my rhinos rear seat. Do these welds look Safe to you? 1320 please give me some input here.

post-225-1165292294.jpg

post-225-1165292341.jpg

post-225-1165292391.jpg

post-225-1165292443.jpg

I'm still trying to figure out why you posted this in SANDRAIL TALK....but ok!!!! :mischevious: :driver::idea:

I saw those welds in person. They did seem a bit thin....almost like solder. :argue:

I'd give him a call. I bet he'll stand behind it and take care of it for you- hopefully.

I agree, but Ill also defend the builder. An unsupported tab is what is most likely to break anyways. And the rest of the car could be fine, maybe he had problems he didnt know about at the last minute doing the last tab for a flag mount? Maybe the gas was empty, or close, maybe someone used the welder for something else at lunch and he didnt notice it was changed?

I d think just about everyone would gladly fix that for ya, its no big deal.

• 1 month later...

This past thanksgiving, I was out riding my rhino and I heard a funky snapping noise. I stopped my rhino and noticed the whip had fallen forward. MUTHA BITCHEZZ!!!!! It was at night so I couldnt tell what had happened. When I got back to camp and got out a flashlight. I saw that the mounting tab my whip was mounted to had broken off. When it broke, It also cracked my roof. I was pretty bummed out about this. I PAID ALOT OF MONEY on this roof and this rear cage. The Guy that did the work on my rhino is know to be a little pricey, But his work has always seemed to be of good quality. I am going to call him and see if he will stand behind his product and fix this weld and replace my roof. Im not a welder, But it seems to me, that this is not normal or a weld holding a whip on shouldnt break. Im also concerned that the same guy welded on my seat belt mounting tabs on my rhinos rear seat. Do these welds look Safe to you? 1320 please give me some input here.

post-225-1165292294.jpg

post-225-1165292341.jpg

post-225-1165292391.jpg

post-225-1165292443.jpg

The reason for the weld breakage was because he didnt (wrap the ends). that means he didnt weld all the way to each end. then around the edges as well. this makes for a solid weld. as for your seatbelt tabs check to see if they have been wrapped as well. if your not sure i can help ya . let me know

The reason for the weld breakage was because he didnt (wrap the ends). that means he didnt weld all the way to each end. then around the edges as well. this makes for a solid weld. as for your seatbelt tabs check to see if they have been wrapped as well. if your not sure i can help ya . let me know

the story is that people make mistakes,,,and custom is fixing everything :laughoff: like i thought they were!!! :laughoff:

The Custom shop called me today and let me know that they fixed the cage and the roof. Hopefully I will get a chance to get out to vegas in the next week or so and pick it up. Im glad that they stood behind there work. It was the right thing to do. :thumb:

GLAD TO HERE THAT TRAVIS STOOD BY HIS WORK. ALSO IT LOOKS LIKE ALOT OF THING. NOT ENOUGH HEAT. NOT WRAPING THE WELD. NOT A THICK ENOUGH WELD. ALL THOSE PLUS NO SIDE SUPPORT WILL MAKE IT BREAK. DONT FORGET + ALOT OF WIND WITH ALOT ON BEND ON THE BOTTOM= BREAKAGE

JUST MY 2 CENTS :banghead: