Programmer?

Kitcat

Do any of you use a programmer n your truck to help tow your stuff? My husband is being told by a couple people that it would be a good idea to have one, but it's like $2000+. Anyway, just thought I'd get some feedback.

You don't need one, but they do help. It depends on the type of programmer you get, but regardless you'll want to install an EGT (Exhaust Temp Gas) gauge and an exhaust system. With any programmer and towing, you'll want to moniter your temps because more fuel=more heat.

What size toyhauler are you getting? ...regradless your Dodge should be able to tow it just fine unless you like to tow going 80 mph like some people I know. :flipoff: :fro: :idiot:

Note: numerous off topic posts set to insivible due to thread hijack.

i put the edge chip on mine stage 4 and 5 worked there was no power difference in the other settings

i sent mine back it runs better dont bel;ieve the hype keep it stock it doesnt need it

and my stock dodge pulls at 80 just fine....................

Edited by barefoot bob

You don't need one, but they do help. It depends on the type of programmer you get, but regardless you'll want to install an EGT (Exhaust Temp Gas) gauge and an exhaust system. With any programmer and towing, you'll want to moniter your temps because more fuel=more heat.

What size toyhauler are you getting? ...regradless your Dodge should be able to tow it just fine unless you like to tow going 80 mph like some people I know. :driver::thumb::laughoff:

Note: numerous off topic posts set to insivible due to thread hijack.

We're looking at the Raptor 299MP FW. Yeah, my husband said he'd probably change out the exhaust first and then look to maybe getting a programmer in the future.

i put the edge chip on mine stage 4 and 5 worked there was no power difference in the other settings

i sent mine back it runs better dont bel;ieve the hype keep it stock it doesnt need it

and my stock dodge pulls at 80 just fine....................

Did you upgrade your exhaust??? Yeah, I told my husband to call my cousins who tow TH's, horse trailers, etc. They said getting the exhaust was more important than the programmer itself. I think the guys at the 4 wheel parts place are just looking to get another sale.

yes..do exhaust first, then programmer if you decide to after.

Exhaust will help cool your exhaust temps which in turn makes more power :laughoff: . If you program it first you will raise your EGT's real quick with stock exhaust.

My husband was looking at getting the programmer and the exhaust together. Now, he's thinking of just getting the exhaust! Men are so expensive!! LOL!!! :thumb:

The Dodge with the Cummins comes with a 4 inch exaust stock, it should be the last thing you need to modify.

i wouldnt dream of standing in the way of a man on toy quest however modifing the cummins is a waste of money, but you dont need it .the truck is bad a$$ ,best of the best !!!! you could buy a trick exhaust on your quad ,or up options on the new hauler. money better spent .your cummins can handle it baby !!!! oooo yaaaa .and my truck still wants a date with that p.y.t. dodge :thumb:

The Dodge with the Cummins comes with a 4 inch exaust stock, it should be the last thing you need to modify.

Most new diesels are 4" stock too. My DMax was. And it's not a matter of needing to modify it. :laughoff:

I pulled my 34 ft toyhauler with my D Max no problem at all stock. I never NEEDED to modify it, but adding an exhaust helped for towing. More is always better. :thumb:

I have yet to meet a guy to this day that said they didn't want more power regardlesss if thay had a Ford, Chevy, or Dodge. :driver:

i wouldnt dream of standing in the way of a man on toy quest however modifing the cummins is a waste of money, but you dont need it .the truck is bad a$$ ,best of the best !!!! you could buy a trick exhaust on your quad ,or up options on the new hauler. money better spent .your cummins can handle it baby !!!! oooo yaaaa .and my truck still wants a date with that p.y.t. dodge :laughoff:

Good to know - I'll definitely tell my husband this. He was asking people who have Fords & Chevys. They told him changing out the exhaust would help with fuel economy.

:thumb:

Most new diesels are 4" stock too. My DMax was. And it's not a matter of needing to modify it. :laughoff:

I pulled my 34 ft toyhauler with my D Max no problem at all stock. I never NEEDED to modify it, but adding an exhaust helped for towing. More is always better. :thumb:

I have yet to meet a guy to this day that said they didn't want more power regardlesss if thay had a Ford, Chevy, or Dodge. :angry2:

So, if he were to upgrade his exhaust, what would he upgrade to??? Sorry, I'm a chick - don't know much about trucks and exhausts. All I know is that on his last truck, a Ram 1500, the upgraded exhaust was noisy!!!

:driver:

i wouldnt dream of standing in the way of a man on toy quest however modifing the cummins is a waste of money, but you dont need it .the truck is bad a$$ ,best of the best !!!! you could buy a trick exhaust on your quad ,or up options on the new hauler. money better spent .your cummins can handle it baby !!!! oooo yaaaa .and my truck still wants a date with that p.y.t. dodge :laughoff:

We'll be out at Dumont tomorrow thru Monday. I don't know where we're camping, but I think it'll be to the left, in front of the big dunes. We'll be camping with some friends in their big Rampage TH with red graphics.

So, if he were to upgrade his exhaust, what would he upgrade to??? Sorry, I'm a chick - don't know much about trucks and exhausts. All I know is that on his last truck, a Ram 1500, the upgraded exhaust was noisy!!!

The exhaust I upgraded to was the Banks Cat Back system. It is a full 5" setup with a high flow muffler. It didn't add too much noise at all. It just gives it a slight bit of tone- not alot of racket though to rack your brain :laughoff: . Gas trucks tend to be louder when you add an exhaust system more than diesels.

Contact THESE people, You can get a direct fit muffler replacment, AND if you choose, a CAT delete pipe, ALL bolt on all, 4 inch replacment, no changing our already 4inch turbo to tip exhaust, gOOD lUcK, Happy New Year...

The exhaust I upgraded to was the Banks Cat Back system. It is a full 5" setup with a high flow muffler. It didn't add too much noise at all. It just gives it a slight bit of tone- not alot of racket though to rack your brain :thumb: . Gas trucks tend to be louder when you add an exhaust system more than diesels.

My Father Inlaw has Banks on his truck. I can't remember the name of the brand my husband likes.

Contact THESE people, You can get a direct fit muffler replacment, AND if you choose, a CAT delete pipe, ALL bolt on all, 4 inch replacment, no changing our already 4inch turbo to tip exhaust, gOOD lUcK, Happy New Year...

Thanks!!! I'll give this to my hubby!