My Sand Rail Manufacturer Links

EY3BA11

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey wrench how is your buddies car holding up.. the one w/ the BSE ??

He has not called me to fix it in over a year. That might have something to do with the fact that I moved 1500 miles away. :headbang:

• 2 months later...

I heard of cracked frames and tabs being ripped off with those cars. I'm building a car for a customer that has broken his short sand car every trip out. He figures it cost him about $500.00 every weekend on average.

the only things i know of... are a cracked frame from eating a witch's eye too fast.. Could have been avoided if picking a diffrent line..

And the spindle..

Other than that not really any probs..

actually im not... :D before i really knew what was going on in the sand car industry the tatum dual sport spyder was on my list of I WANTS.. :D But after finding out that there is more than just a tatum out there i have researched many options from minis to full sized to 2 seat mid engines and there are a few builders that i really like... I have nothing to say about tatum cept they need to take thier midboard hubs and eat a huge pickle...

actually im not... :D before i really knew what was going on in the sand car industry the tatum dual sport spyder was on my list of I WANTS.. :D But after finding out that there is more than just a tatum out there i have researched many options from minis to full sized to 2 seat mid engines and there are a few builders that i really like... I have nothing to say about tatum cept they need to take thier midboard hubs and eat a huge pickle...

:eatdrink021: :no::thumb::no::flipoff:

I don't think he "forgot" to put that one in...lol

Is that the rail you have?,...ripped any tabs of yet? :no:

ripped any tabs off yet? uh..no...WTF you talkin about? I have driven the sh*t out of my car for over a year and a half and the ONLY broken sh*t so far has been a broken studded heim and a spindle. That's from doing some real dumb sh*t too. :no: I have no complaints about my car and recommend SSC to anyone looking to buy a mini-rail. They are my first choice and I have had awesome customer satisifaction with Larry & Nannette. They not only build sweet a$$ cars, but they are one of the 1st ever to build m/c powered mini's as well....

from this back in the day...

ssc_2seatr-03_bg.jpg

to this...

benpic3.jpg

shanecargallary1.jpg

showcarppage02.jpg

transmisisonppage2a.jpg

PSkeenrearend4.jpg

I smell a builder basher :thumb: :eatdrink021:

I'm not a builder basher less it has merit. I don't care abut competition in the slightest in the mini industry. Every one in the business has a waiting list from 11 months to 2 years and after 4 months in business, I already have 5 orders and 3 more rail deposits expected this week. I'm not talking as a builder trying to get business cause I already have plenty. I'm talking as a rail owner who sees alot of unsafe rails in the dunes. I've talked to alot of people including builders about other manufactures concerning mini design. There are alot of problems that most people don't know about and the one repetitive problem i'v heard about ssc is tabs ripped out and frames cracking around shock mounts.

Only other thing I have to say about other builders, I would like to see how the roofs hold up on most of them in a wreak. Not a little rollover, but a high speed flip. The rails today have so much more power than the ones of yesteryear and it's alot easier to get seriously hurt.

Without wanting to bash anyone, the orange car just above my post, I don't see the strength in the design. I think any decent flip would cave the roof right in. This opinion is based on looks and I could be wrong. I've never seen one flip at a high rate of speed or barrel roll, then seen the outcome. I think my opinion is sound and isn't bashing, alot of people that called me about rails said the same thing, that all the designs they looked at appear unsafe.

That's why I overbuilt my car, I didn't plan on selling them at first, I had a motor sitting around and wanted a rail. My goal was to build something I would put my wife in. Honestly, I wouldn't feel safe putting her in most the rails out there. Again, this is my opinion, I am basing it on what I see in the design and not actual experience of after math following a major acident. With that, My opinion could be totally wrong but is not meant to bash anyone.

This applies to all builders as well, i've seen a Funco frame where the entire front of the car from the seats forward broke off, i've seen 80k rails where the roofs caved in due to lack of bracing. I know alot of accidents are driver error but there are some things that should hold up in the worse of crashes. Drag cars can hit the wall at 200+ mph and the driver can walk away. The car is total destroyed but the driver compartment held up. This is not the same as rails. Were talking about alot of cars flipping in the SAND at 30 or so miles an hour and the roofs cave in, the frame breakes in half through the driver compartment, does this seam right? There are alot of people driving around in death traps right now and don't even know it.

Again, not trying to bash ssc,..I've only heard of tabs and cracks, never anything about structural failier....Never heard about structural failier in any of the minis either. Only seen a handfull of pics of structural failers of the big rails but heard from alot of people about thier problems. There aren't as many minis out there, I contribute this to the lack of info concerning accidents, but i'm sure they have failed in some cases, after all, I haven't seen many minis braced better than some of the bigger cars that have had problems with their design......

Edited by Yoshi

I'm not a builder basher less it has merit. .........

Again, not trying to bash ssc,..I've only heard of tabs and cracks, never anything about structural failier....

ok well then I guess I am wrong, Yoshi, but you came off as sounding like my car is a p.o.s. because the "ripping off tabs" comment. I have never heard of that w/ any SSC's. I did have cracks (as posted in another thread) around 1 shock tab and a control arm tab once, but like ISBB said- that was caused by an extreme blow to the front end in a witch's eye. I think the car took it damn well too. I didn't even rip off any tabs in that near accident situation. Some cars would have been swallowed up in that big ol whole, but my suspension took it great. I often wonder if the car would hold up in a high speed roll, but like you said some high dollar rails you can wonder the same thing. I hope I never have to find out, but I take every precaution to try and avoid that type of situation. (ie: drive safe, wear a helmet at times, arm retraints, harnesses, and most importantly- use my head)

Sorry for calling you a builder basher- I shouldn't have made that assumption I guess. :smiley:

I was trying to be funny, I thought it was a common occurance with alot of ssc owners. Would have meant it the same way if you told me you have a white 95-97 chevy truck and I asked if the paint was pealing yet. Chevy had a bad mix with their white that year and every truck of theirs painted that color is pealing off. I know, i've repainted about 20 or so of them over the last few years and I see them all around town.

Like I said, I haven't heard any structural issues with the ssc cars, mainly tabs and cracking around tabs. The customer i'm build one for now said he's had alot of other issues with his ssc car as far as suspension design and cv angles being setup wrong, but he also said it's one of the first cars they made and I haven't heard that complaint from anyone else. The cars look good, tabs can be fixed so as not to break, and the only thing I really see is the roof bracing issue.

Even if I wasn't a builder I would still give my .02 on the designs of alot of cars out there. It's not like i've been doing this my whole life and know everything about chassis design. I'm like alot of other Joe Blows out there that wanted to build a rail for myself and save some money. The black rail I have now is the first one I ever built, and the first chassis i've ever built for any kind of offroad car. I formed my opinions about the designs out there before I had any knowledge about them. I just went by appearance and common sense telling me that some of the cars would not hold up in a wreak. I decided to make a "safer" car than what I am use to seeing.

I wanted a car for myself in the begining, not to sale. My design may weigh 40 pounds or so more because I use 120 wall over the usual 95 wall, and have bracing in places that alot of people told me I don't need, but i'm fine with that. Most people want things as light as possible but I see things different. I would put my design up against any other mini out there and I feel it would hold up better. I don't want that to sound like I think other rails are crap because their not. I just mean I personally feel more comfortable and safer in my rail than I would in any other rail out there. I don't worry about how my car will hold up in a hard flip. I don't want to test the design, but I certainly don't drive less agressive in my car because I have any reservations about it handeling the abuse. I overbuilt it in every aspect because I'm hard on my toys, I built it for my style of driving and after about 20 trips in 5 months haven't had any issues other than some cheap bearings in a chain tensioner, but even that didn't keep me from driving the rest of the weekend.

Your car sounds like it is well built, I wouldn't expect your car, or any car for that matter, to come out unscathed after hitting a wiches eye or breaking a spindle in a hard side hit. Even the tanks people call rockcrawlers break stuff, nothing is bullet proof. Drop a tank from 30 foot in the air and it's gonna break. I'm sure your car was worth every penny for the fun it's given you, and upkeep sounds low and that's a best case senerio. I'm also sure that alot of other owners feel the same way as you. I look forward to meeting you and everyone else that has minis when I make it out to your neck of the woods. I don't have anyone to ride with out here, and I'd love to see other builders cars in person so I can base my opinions better.

There are a few spots on my design that I should have put bends in . I think the way I did them was as strong as a bend but I was catching some heat about not putting a few more bends in the cage. Well, I redesigned the frame and incorperated the suggestions. The pics are my new frame. I got my hands on a 929RR powerplant for it. I am gonna start switching all the parts from my current frame to my new one and prob. hang the old one from the ceiling, lol.....

post-423-1138818014_thumb.jpg

post-423-1138818042_thumb.jpg

post-423-1138818075_thumb.jpg

post-423-1138818102_thumb.jpg

post-423-1138818131_thumb.jpg

post-423-1138818161_thumb.jpg

post-423-1138818194_thumb.jpg

post-423-1138818221_thumb.jpg

There are a few more cross braces that go into the back, I have to get the motor in place to weld all that stuff up. Also, the sub frame drops down from the tail and connects below the driver seat so it is even more solid......