squeaky disc brakes

lakecitydan

:thumb:

My single piston gear one rear disc brakes squeal so bad I have park the buggy or drive without brakes.

they started doing it after the first trp after installation.I removed the pads and chamfered them diddn't help much, called "Gear One" and their idea was to sand rotors and pads sounds like a waste of time no improved pads available yet. any ohter bright ideas I try them

Edited by lakecitydan

Do they have any kind of shim behind them? Maybe try some of the stop squeek stuff that applies to the BACK of the pads to hold them in place in the calipers.

Usually squeeking pads are from the pad against the caliper making noise, not the pad against the rotor surface.

good luck :thumb:

Do they have any kind of shim behind them? Maybe try some of the stop squeek stuff that applies to the BACK of the pads to hold them in place in the calipers.

Usually squeeking pads are from the pad against the caliper making noise, not the pad against the rotor surface.

good luck :thumb:

I tried some of the spray crap, no help.It reminds me of the early 70s 240z datsun witch had a major squeak problem. the fix for them was a shim kit that covered 1/2 the caliper piston to give it some angle?

I thought about making a similar shim set up but I would hate to step on the brakes and have something brake and ruin the trip.(I live 700 miles from Dumont and planing my next trip)

A brake squeak is caused by vibration. (as are all noises) The trick is to eliminate the vibration. I have had good reslults with the spray disc brake quiet. Be sure the pads are a high quality. You get what you pay for. check for a snug fit in the pad to guide area. If the pad moves around after mounted then there is a problem. Check that all parts are installed and oriented properly. If the rotors have a spiral finish (like an old school record album) the pad follows the spiral then jumps back, causing a squeak. These are all issues with automotive brakes. Gear one appears to not offer single piston setups anymore. Might want to call them and see what they say.

Edited by ntrsandman