Mini Rails

dunefreak

• 3 weeks later...

Dunefreak...how does a mini rail handle out at Dumont?..razors, sidehilling, stability? What engine you're running? Did you go on a run with Ryan's TT big block?

razors, sidehilling, stability-------------> :headbang:

It handles awesome. I love it. The key word w/ this car is: AGILE!!!

Im running a 1300 Hayabusa. It screams. I ran Ryan before he put the turbos on his car and gave him a good run. We never had a good race though cause we never left the same time. I'm sure he'd probably beat me now that it's twin turboed. I went for a ride in TTrex this last weekend. :thumb: FAST!

I went w/ a ShortSandCar cause it was for sale in the local classifieds. I fell in love with it and couldn't pass it up for the price. :thumbsdown: If I didn't buy that car, it would probably still be a Short anyways. I like Tom Pro's cars too, but if I were to buy a car brand new, ShortSandCar. Their reverse box has a limited slip diff in it which allows for cutting brakes :headbang: . Beside, Larry was the original m/c powered rail builder back in the 80's. He knows how to build those things the best if you ask me. Just my .02 :thumb:

• 4 weeks later...

The car looks like it handles the jumps nicely. :hello:

I was checking out a site in Vegas called SICK SAND TRAVEL. They make a short car with the Hayabusa and a turbo if you pay the extra $$. The cars look sweet. Are you guys from Nevada familiar with this company? Are they quality? Are there better manufacturers in the area?

The more I look at these short cars I really think I am going to get one. :rockon:

I might have to change my forum name to Busarider.

Bombrider

Bombrider, Josey from SickSandTravel owned and put together my car before he built his own a few years back. SickSandTravel builds very nice cars and fabricates some nice stuff too. They are the only mini-rail builder that I know of other than maybe Sin City Sandrails that are local (Vegas). BTW, "Short" is Larry's last name that builds ShortSandCars. Those cars are my favorite, but I would not rule out other builders. I love my car. It handles awesome and takes jumps and whatever you can throw at it with much ease. :hello:

Thanks for the info Dunefreak. Those things look like a blast. I did find another place here in California that builds a similar product. Its called King Sand Cars. I also had a couple more questions if you don't mind.

Does your car have the turbo on it?

Do you think the turbo is needed or not?

I am a big guy, 6' 3" and 325 lbs. I make ISBB look small and skinny. :DDR_rocks!:

Do you think the car would still be comfortable for me? Can they custom fit things, etc.?

Thanks

Bombrider

"Does your car have the turbo on it?"
NO
"Do you think the turbo is needed or not?"

Definitely not needed. It does boost the HP a bunch, but as for duning I can't see how it would help too much. In my opinion, turbo's on these things are just for the hill. I think they hurt the reliabiliy of the engine and trans. My car is PLENTY fast up the hill and def. through the dunes. You'd be amazed the power the Busa makes stock. It's much more torquey than I expected. If you like hill shooting, get the turbo. If you like duning and occasional hill shooting don't waste your $$. BTW, I have beat quite a few full size LS1, LS6, etc cars over at the hill even w/o a turbo.

"I am a big guy, 6' 3" and 325 lbs. I make ISBB look small and skinny.

Do you think the car would still be comfortable for me? Can they custom fit things, etc.?"

Any manufacturer can usually custom make your car to fit your needs. Josey from Sick Sand Travel just built a car for a guy that was 6" wider, taller, and maybe even a bit longer too. These cars are pretty roomy considering their size though. Sanddunesaddict (Bert) is almost your size and he drives my car with no problem. If you want to stop by my camp this weekend, you can check my car out and sit in it to get a feel for how big they are.

Thanks once again, the info is great.

I wish I could come by your camp this weekend. Unfortunately, I will be working and will not be able to get to the dunes. :mc_smiley:

I will take you up on the offer though, the next time out get out to Dumont. At the latest that will be Pres. Day weekend. :DDR_rocks!:

Thanks again,

Bombrider

• 1 month later...

I still like that car yosh.. Cant wait till you get some real suspension on there and get her all dialed in w/ that new motor.. :D

lol,..real suspension huh. I'm mounting up the hydraulic bump stops and leaving the airshocks. I think she'll hang with the best of them. I've had no problems ridding the arses of the LS1's so far......

As far as I know- just me so far....? I know Crowdog said he has a mini rail in his group, but that's the only one I have heard of except for your's now. :eatdrink021:

My friend Bob has a Sick Sand Travel:

Bob's Sick Sand Travel

He has added a turbo since those pics.

Bob should be with me at Dumont for President's weekend.

My friend Bob has a Sick Sand Travel:

Bob's Sick Sand Travel

He has added a turbo since those pics.

Bob should be with me at Dumont for President's weekend.

Nice, crowdog. :no: Josey does nice work. He has fixed some stuff on my car & lvnalolife's in the past. Hope to meet up for that buggy run w/ you & especially w/ your buddy w/ the SickSandTravel car. :eatdrink021: I have yet to dune w/ any other mini's so far. I just have to be easy on 2nd gear- it's starting to go (chatter). :(