Kennies bar in the Desert

Duneraider

1634IMG_0009.JPG

I had heard for some time about a guy that found some private property in the middle of the Arizona desert, bought it and built a cool bar for

off roaders and the local Prospectors.

The decision was made to find it.

Stopped off at a bar in Lake Havasu Az., and sitting at the end of the bar was a very old jasper drinking a beer watching the tube.

I asked him he he knew of such a bar.

"Oh,, you mean Kennies" the old buzzard said.

He gave me directions: " Az 95 south, left at Cienega Springs rd keep to the right but take all the lefts", he told me.

I just met my girlfriend, now my loving wife, and she barely knew me, but off we went.

Ya gotta look real hard in the middle of the desert to find Cienega Springs rd.

We found it, and it was a dirt cut-off, unimproved until recently. We 4 wheel drive'd the rest of the way for at least 30 minutes.

The girlfriend, now wife, thought I was taking her someplace to "do her" she later confessed. We were at the nowhere everything is a million miles from.

We finally came to a sandstone wall of a hill, with a maybe 10 ft wide 20 degree angle ramp

carved into it.

We made it up ok,, and there it was, Kennys Bar in the desert.

We parked among Dune Buggies and other off road vehicles, and crossed a nicely built home made bridge to the entrance to Kennys bar.

In front of the entrance door was a water trough and a Coyote was drinking outta it,, but nervous and ready to run,,,

Greeted by Nellie the straight razor totin' cat as we walked into the bar itself:

55111-1102_IMG-med.JPG

Electricity is solar 12 volt, & Kenny has ice delivered, and an 'A" health dept rating.

Two large sheet metal shafts rise into the sky that are natural draft swamp coolers to keep his place cool on the hot days. Work excellent.

Several girls were sitting at the bar, their boyfriends all asked them to get married & gave them Diamond rings the same day at the same time,

so the girls were up at Kennies celebrating,, and the place was alive with fun and energy.

Kenny was bartending with his girlfriend, and they had their hands full, but had time to chat too.

Kenny is affiable and friendly, but ya look into his eyes and someone is in there with him.

We had a few drinks and met some really interesting people and local characters with yarns to spin.

Kenny built the place outta wood, and his craftsmanship is supurb.

Clean, good restrooms with running water too.

Nice views across the Arizona desert from Kennys.

A custom Hughes 500 helicopter landed, but before gave us a really cool airshow. Scared the hell outa everyone it was so good.

If ya find yourself in the Lake Havasu area with some extra time, perhaps check out Kennys.

Open Labor Day thru Memorial Day, Sat and Sundays noon to dusk.

Edited by Duneraider

Also referred to as simply The Desert Bar, they often have live music on stage. It's a very cool watering hole in the middle of nowhere. Burgers, hotdogs and chips, and a small gift shop/general store kinda place with limited product. I use Parker, AZ as a jump-off point for off-roading in that area, a lot less hectic than Havasu itself.

Edited by PinzEOD