Protecting your toys from thieves

Quicksilver

Fortunately, I haven't had anything stolen, but with the rash of thefts going around I am a little worried. :bs: I was wondering what measures you have taken to protect your property, such as toyhaulers and quads, etc?

On my toyhauler I bought the hitch lock and ran a cable that is locked to some D-hooks through the quads. But that doesn't seem like enough. I am thinking that one of those wheel locks like parking enforcement in some cities use would work very well as they prevent the vehicle from being moved. I know those things cover up the whole wheel where it can't be removed and are nearly impossible to defeat. I will post a pic of one up if I can find one on the net. I park where the back door of my toyhauler is against a block wall so this would work great for me.

I am also thinking Lo-Jack might be a good idea, as the thieves don't know it is there and I can track it if it is ever stolen. Hopefully the police find the theives before I do. I'm just wondering what the cost of Lo-Jack is and if anyone has ever installed it on their toyhauler?

Fortunately, I haven't had anything stolen, but with the rash of thefts going around I am a little worried. :bs: I was wondering what measures you have taken to protect your property, such as toyhaulers and quads, etc?

On my toyhauler I bought the hitch lock and ran a cable that is locked to some D-hooks through the quads. But that doesn't seem like enough. I am thinking that one of those wheel locks like parking enforcement in some cities use would work very well as they prevent the vehicle from being moved. I know those things cover up the whole wheel where it can't be removed and are nearly impossible to defeat. I will post a pic of one up if I can find one on the net. I park where the back door of my toyhauler is against a block wall so this would work great for me.

I am also thinking Lo-Jack might be a good idea, as the thieves don't know it is there and I can track it if it is ever stolen. Hopefully the police find the theives before I do. I'm just wondering what the cost of Lo-Jack is and if anyone has ever installed it on their toyhauler?

I have an alarm system on mine and that I sell. It flashes the lights and a siren and can be set up to lock up the tires through your electric brakes. Works very well and is for sale at a DDR price of $260.00. Fairly easy to install if you have any electrial skills at all. Let me know if you want to look at my set up. it also has wireless remote control and wireless door sensors.

Terry

Fortunately, I haven't had anything stolen, but with the rash of thefts going around I am a little worried. :bawl: I was wondering what measures you have taken to protect your property, such as toyhaulers and quads, etc?

lower cost lo tech approach... get a sticker that says..........armed pitbull with aids onboard. :banghead:

ps lojack is around 450 5 hun installed only takes a few to install , item can be tracked within a few ft. of its location worth the investment , and some insurance co. even give discounts for it . but that's just one Mcgyver's opinion !

I have an alarm system on mine and that I sell. It flashes the lights and a siren and can be set up to lock up the tires through your electric brakes. Works very well and is for sale at a DDR price of $260.00. Fairly easy to install if you have any electrial skills at all. Let me know if you want to look at my set up. it also has wireless remote control and wireless door sensors.

Terry

With an alarm, how much current does that draw off the batteries when it is armed? I do have a small solar panel to keep my batteries topped off, so I guess it can't be too much of an issue. I suppose I would need battery backup since my batteries are mounted on the tongue of the trailer and can easily be disconnected.

I suppose a "PROTECTED BY SMITH AND WESSON" sticker on the back of my toy hauler might not be a bad idea either. :banghead:

Insurance...I have everything insured

:bawl:

same here, i don't stress about losing things, i just insure. and when/if they get stolen, then I just upgrade.

i totalled a quad about 6 yrs ago, after i had it for about 2 yrs. insurance, even after deductable, paid me more for it than I paid for it 2 yrs prior.

:banghead:

With an alarm, how much current does that draw off the batteries when it is armed? I do have a small solar panel to keep my batteries topped off, so I guess it can't be too much of an issue. I suppose I would need battery backup since my batteries are mounted on the tongue of the trailer and can easily be disconnected.

I suppose a "PROTECTED BY SMITH AND WESSON" sticker on the back of my toy hauler might not be a bad idea either. :banghead:

Not to much of a draw at all, I have a solar panel to keep the batteries charged also and have never had an issue. the alarm shuts off and resets after 8 minutes. If you hide the wires they would not know it was there until it was going off and hopefully they would be making tracks. I would be glad to show you my system if you are interested.