kelso dunes

Craniacs

o.k. I may be opening a big can of worms here but I keep thinking about these dunes everytime I go to dumont. This group is comprised of some smart folks and I wanted to just get everyone thinking about Kelso dunes. You can see these dunes when approaching Baker off to the south. They where closed to us in 1973 - Interim Critical Management Plan and finalized in

1994 - Wilderness Designation, California Desert Protection Act

I may be getting too political here and sorry if I am..... but dang these dunes sure look sweet!

go here to to read more http://www.duneguide.com/closed_areas_kelso_dunes.htm

do you think we could get it reopened? I'm not that grass roots savvy but what the heck? ideas?

That area is so small I dont think it would be worth the effort to an organization with enough money and power to make a difference. Besides if you look at those dunes up close I don't think they would be all that great to ride on.( That's what I keep telling myself anyway)

That area is so small I dont think it would be worth the effort to an organization with enough money and power to make a difference. Besides if you look at those dunes up close I don't think they would be all that great to ride on.( That's what I keep telling myself anyway)

129,000 acres? thats pretty big brutha

Everytime I go to Dumont I go right by the Kelso Dunes. When I look at those dunes and know that they are closed to OHV I just want to slap the shiat out of some dumba$$ tree huggers. God help us when the Democrats get back into office. Those idiots like Al Gore want to close anythings that has to do with gas powered vehicles. They want us all to go hiking and hug trees and talk to the flowers and stuff like that. Well I only have one thing to say to those Green Peace a$$holes and that is :rainbow1: and die. We as an off road community have rights too. When they start talking about shutting down areas like Dumont because of some supid bug that might exists it really gets me mad. There is so much area out in these deserts that people don't even want to fly over in a plane but that isn't good enough for the enviromentalists. They want it all and you can't have any. These ECO TERRORISTS are a very small part of the general population and they all should be eradicated but if that happened they would be put on the endangered species list and you wouldn't even be able to mention them anymore for fear of being sued. If anyone personally knows anyone of these tree huggers do me a favor and smack them as hard as you can right in the teeth and then tell them to get an effin life and leave us alone.

Sorry. I digress

Edited by Don29palms

Kelso Dunes are on the national registry. Getting them off now would be pretty much impossible. I am sorry to say as I would love to have them open. Just think of the pressure it would take off of Dumont. Crowds split between the two, hmmm be real nice. However after conversations with people who mess with this stuff for a living I think we should pay our attention to just hanging on to Dumont. FoDD is now accepting memberships $24.00 per year per family and $100.00 per yr. for businesses. Throw your support to FoDD and help us keep the space we play in. If you look at a map that was done 20 yrs ago even 10 yrs ago and a recent one that show' closeures you will be shocked. Dumont is about the center ring of a closed area. They are coming after the ring believe me. It's not hard to become active! Let me know and I will get you all a membership application.

Everytime I go to Dumont I go right by the Kelso Dunes. When I look at those dunes and know that they are closed to OHV I just want to slap the shiat out of some dumba$$ tree huggers. God help us when the Democrats get back into office. Those idiots like Al Gore want to close anythings that has to do with gas powered vehicles. They want us all to go hiking and hug trees and talk to the flowers and stuff like that. Well I only have one thing to say to those Green Peace a$$holes and that is :rainbow1: and die. We as an off road community have rights too. When they start talking about shutting down areas like Dumont because of some supid bug that might exists it really gets me mad. There is so much area out in these deserts that people don't even want to fly over in a plane but that isn't good enough for the enviromentalists. They want it all and you can't have any. These ECO TERRORISTS are a very small part of the general population and they all should be eradicated but if that happened they would be put on the endangered species list and you wouldn't even be able to mention them anymore for fear of being sued. If anyone personally knows anyone of these tree huggers do me a favor and smack them as hard as you can right in the teeth and then tell them to get an effin life and leave us alone.

Sorry. I digress

Well said, Don! :rainbow1:

Kelso Dunes are on the national registry. Getting them off now would be pretty much impossible. I am sorry to say as I would love to have them open. Just think of the pressure it would take off of Dumont. Crowds split between the two, hmmm be real nice. However after conversations with people who mess with this stuff for a living I think we should pay our attention to just hanging on to Dumont. FoDD is now accepting memberships $24.00 per year per family and $100.00 per yr. for businesses. Throw your support to FoDD and help us keep the space we play in. If you look at a map that was done 20 yrs ago even 10 yrs ago and a recent one that show' closeures you will be shocked. Dumont is about the center ring of a closed area. They are coming after the ring believe me. It's not hard to become active! Let me know and I will get you all a membership application.

I'll take one, Terry.

They were at one time rideable,, but now,,, pretty much forget it unless the offroad movement can get more media exposure and can get some momentum going.

It'll not happen in our lifetimes,,,, look how hard it is to try and re-open the closeure in Glamis.

Sandemon on dumontsanddunes.com is the expert on Kelso.

We've discussed an re opening,,, but it would take an unbelieveable media and money, and lobby and lawsuit court battle.

We have our hands full just keeping what we've got.