GoodYear Wrangler Death Wobble

Duneraider

I had Goodyear Wranglers on my new 94 Grand Cherokee, and again on our new '96 Suburban.

I could never get them ballanced correctly.

My neighbor Doug, is a heavy line mechanic at a Jag and Aston Martin dealer.

A real off roader too.

He casually mentioned once he could never get his GoodYears ballanced, and is a Goodrich fan.

My other neighbor owned a Ford dealer (may it RIP) and mentioned during the Firestone fiasco, they didn't want to use Goodyears because of the vibration compaints.

My wife has a new set of them on her Pre-Runner, and she mentioned they vibrate at 60 MPH and above.

I took them back, and others were there with their wranglers with ballance problems too.

Goodyear has it's big sale going on now, so plenty of new customers.

They still vibrate, and the dealer is cool, they want to replace them.

Did you ever have Wranglers, and did you have ballance issues?

I love the tire. Quiet running, looks excellent, wife doesn't have to air down at the dunes whe she arrives at odd ball hours,,,,

My Goodrich's never give me problems. But dammmm,, those GoodYears Wranglers. Death wobble at 60 MPH+.

Any similar experiences?

How did you handle it?

Edited by Duneraider

Thanks for the takes.

Americas Tire called today and asked us to come in when we get back from the river for a new set.

When they were ballancing them. I noticed the crew circling huge spots on the tred where their may be problems.. like perhaps out-of-round.

We'll see.

Love everything about the tires except the vibration.

Edited by Duneraider

• 3 weeks later...

Are your trucks lifted? Are you sure its from the tire not the angle of the drive line? is it constint of mostly when your on the gas? I have ran the mtr's on my last few vehicles from 31in to 37in and the only vibration I have ever had was on the dodge because the alignment was off and causing the inside of the front tires to cup. After a rotation and alignment it never came back...

When you say death wobble it makes me think, solid front axle with a traction bar not properly succured...

Edited by DIRTY DYKSTRA

our f series trucks at sturgeon, when the front ends would wear. you would get a death wobble. i hit a bump on the freeway driving one of those trucks and it death wobbled . threw me into the next lane and i almost hit a chp motorcycle cop. when we pulled over he could barely breath it scared the life out of him. he red tagged that pickup instantly. he wasnt mad at me when he regained his composer. but when i told him it just came out of the shop from saftey insp he was livid at the company mechs .

our f series trucks at sturgeon, when the front ends would wear. you would get a death wobble. i hit a bump on the freeway driving one of those trucks and it death wobbled . threw me into the next lane and i almost hit a chp motorcycle cop. when we pulled over he could barely breath it scared the life out of him. he red tagged that pickup instantly. he wasnt mad at me when he regained his composer. but when i told him it just came out of the shop from saftey insp he was livid at the company mechs .

That was lucky for the chip. he didn't get ran over. If you have ever experianced the death wobble it's some freaky crap... only way to stop it is to stop but if you hit the brake too hard you'll get a whole new can of worms to deal with...

LOL I thought it only happened to me... I had a 79 GMC with a broken drag link, my soon to be wife was driving it, hit a bump in the street and the death wobble started at about 35-40 mph. I had to come pick her up she refused to ever drive it again...

Oh well...