Overspray removal

deuce

Does anybody know how to remove paint overspray from a trucks paint. I had stained my fence a while back with a sprayer and apparently got some overspray on my neighbors white truck. :laughing: Of course he waited like 3 months to tell me about it but non the less it's my fault and I want to fix it. I have read a lot about people using a clay bar with some sort of lubricant. Has anybody ever tried it, and if so how did it work? Is there something easier? I would appreciate any feed back. :ninja:

Does anybody know how to remove paint overspray from a trucks paint. I had stained my fence a while back with a sprayer and apparently got some overspray on my neighbors white truck. :laughing: Of course he waited like 3 months to tell me about it but non the less it's my fault and I want to fix it. I have read a lot about people using a clay bar with some sort of lubricant. Has anybody ever tried it, and if so how did it work? Is there something easier? I would appreciate any feed back. :ninja:

You can try clay bar with final detail mist spray, I doubt it will work on the stain, it is intended for urethane (automotive) paints, you may have to have wetsanded and buffed!! or even a wheel (buff) with some compound ,I wouldnt let the stain sit on it too long especially white!!

if it was here in vegas I would take a look at it ofr ya, ..is it in hesperia??

Ohh, You did it now Biiiiiillllll, :ninja:

How old is the paint on the truck?

How much stain got on it?

3 months? Does he ever drive the thing? :laughing:

Clay sounds good, Better wash the chit out of it first.

Good luck, Post the results too, mang.

R-

Ohh, You did it now Biiiiiillllll, :blink:

How old is the paint on the truck?

How much stain got on it?

3 months? Does he ever drive the thing? :laughing:

Clay sounds good, Better wash the chit out of it first.

Good luck, Post the results too, mang.

R-

What up Randy. He said that he just didn't want to bother me which I guees is why he took so long to tell me. :ninja: He drives the thing all the time, he's just busy I guess. The truck is like a 04-06 Dodge Dakota. White.

I'll for sure post the results. Hopefully they are good results.

Edited by deuce

Yep yep yep on the clay it usually works on stuff like that. you can find the clay and the spray wax at most automotive stores. Don't underestimate things like mineral spirits, paint thinners, Whatever you have used to clean up your tools sprayer etc, you can try. use clean rags lot's of them , but first try it on a less than obvious spot. Most of the solvents that you would use to clean that stuff up won't affect "good" auto paint. use soft rags but be careful and don't try it on hot paint cool it off first!! also just for giggles try rubbing it with ice, ice will remove some things and wont take off the wax!!! Good luck and if the solvent works make sure you wax it or at least use the spray wax stuff.

Yep yep yep on the clay it usually works on stuff like that. you can find the clay and the spray wax at most automotive stores. Don't underestimate things like mineral spirits, paint thinners, Whatever you have used to clean up your tools sprayer etc, you can try. use clean rags lot's of them , but first try it on a less than obvious spot. Most of the solvents that you would use to clean that stuff up won't affect "good" auto paint. use soft rags but be careful and don't try it on hot paint cool it off first!! also just for giggles try rubbing it with ice, ice will remove some things and wont take off the wax!!! Good luck and if the solvent works make sure you wax it or at least use the spray wax stuff.

Thanks for the info, I was hoping I would get a response from you since I know this is your field. I'll give an update when I try everything out. :whacky101:

The clay bar may work but was designed to take off fall out. Dought it will work on over spray. What we use is a FAST drying urathain paint reducer. The fast reducer is the strongest paint friendly solvent and it evaperates quickly. Try a small spot at a time. This will only work on newer cars because they have a clear cote on them. I would be afrade to try it on a single stage paint. If it works it will come off rather easy but you will need to do a light polish when done. Worse case senaro you will need to have sanded and buffed. If it something you are going to do a company called Buf flex makes a 3000 grit sand paper that is rather easy to buff off.

My husband is a painting contractor and this has happend more times than I would like to say.He say's use Denatured alcohol and pat the area to soften the paint and than take a clean soft rag to rub the remains off.

Another option (which i would resort to last) is to use a solvent or reducer for the house stain and lightly rub an area, it will not affect the auto paint it is catalyzed!!! :whacky101: but if it doesnt you can use a buffing wheel without sanding just use a medium compound and it wont remove as much mill thickness as wet sanding

Thanks for all of the advice, I will probably start out with the easier sounding stuff and then work my way forward. This site is awesome. If you have a question, just type it out and sit back for a day or so and BAM you have like 10 different ideas. I will probably handle it sometime soon and give an update on what I used and how it worked. Maybe I should wait a few months to fix it since the jack hole waited a few months to tell me. :beercheers:

• 5 weeks later...

Just wanted to give an update to the overspray removal. We used denatured alcohol and a soft cloth. Worked like a champ. There were a few spots that we had to rub a little hard. I'm sure it had nothing to do with the neighbor waiting a few months before he brought this to my attention. :beercheers: Anyway thanks for all the advice I appreciate it. :eatdrink021: