Important question

ash

Okay, I'm putting this out there to everyone that wants to chime in. Currently I have a 2002 Ford F250 PSD that I use to tow a 40' Wanderer Wagon. Obviously I am overweight when I hook it up without putting any of the toys in it. That being said, what are your thoughts on towing over the rated weight of your truck? Does anyone know of an instance(s) that someone was pulled over, had a crash, etc.. where their load was overweight? If so, what was the outcome? Will your insurance cover you if you have an accident and it was determined that you were towing overweight?

Last season I had a tire blow out on my trailer doing 65mph coming into Tecopa. It pulled me right off the road and half my load came out in my seat :D . This got me thinking about purchasing something that was larger and more adapt to towing the trailer with everything in it. I was looking at a full blown semi, but the mileage on everything I have found seems to be 750k and over if I want to keep it in a tolerable price range.

Any suggestions/input would be greatly appreciated.

Ash, you know I am all about being within the towing guidelines as far as weight but in this sport either your pretty much overweight or over length if you have a big rig. That being said, I did some research about insurance and the rumor that they can decline a claim if you are overweight. I was told by a senior manager of an Insurance company that each company is different and that they can refuse the claim or pay it and then they are going to dump you like over dated milk. However he told me that if you go to a scale and are overweight then you should tell your insurance agent and let him submit that info to underwriting. they will rate you and hit you with a surcharge but that it shouldn't be much, maybe a cpl hundred. Noqw the pitfall to that is that if you are over weight, tell your agent and decide not to pay for the extra hit i will bet they deny the claim should it occur.

Either way it's a gamble but I believe i will be weighing my rig with all my stuff in it and go for the rating. Since my little brother is my agent and his company screws me around I can still kick his azz! You know Mike's truck is for sale right?

Nope didn't know it was for sale. How much is he asking? I am getting a pretty sweet deal on the F450 with all the bells and whistles including video and navigaiton

i think he started at like 49 or is at 47 but you know Mike and he just bought a motorhome so he might make you a very sweet deal. that truck has navagation and a hell of a lot more than the 450 will ever have.

i have only heard of instances where they pull you over to check to see ifyou are towing out of class....like in CA...more than 15,000 gvwr on your 5th wheel, and you only have a class C license, then they will get you

towing overweight will have consequences should you get into an accident. I don't know of ANY insurance company that will spend the money to pay off your claim if you have exceeded your vehicles gcwr......they look for ANYTHING to not pay a claim...that is what they do, as they are in the business to make money, not give it away.....any technicality, and they will claim you are not covered..

do people tow overweight? all the time....some have had accidents...... i found this on glamisdunes.com.....

Well, after almost a year has passed since my buddy lost control of his FS3000 toy hauler being pulled by his F-250 coming down Sierra pass. He had sway bars and bags. The trailer swayed somehow and took over the control of his tow rig. He ended up smashing into another vehicle and the passenger in the other was killed and the driver injured.

The highway patrol cited him for hauling the trailer with a tow vehicle that was not rated for the weights of the trailer even though he was not too loaded up. The injured sued him big time, the insurance company disowned him due to the fact that he was improperly rigged and was "using his vehicle for purposes not intended by the manufacturer" even though they insured both vehicles.

He is awaiting trial for manslaughter, lost a civil suit for 1.2 million dollars, of which he was able to get 300,000 dollars from his insurances company sold his home, toys and vacation property to pay for it.

His wife divorced him and he is probably going to do some time.

Bottom line is the man is broke, lost his wife, affected PERMANENTLY the life of another man, and killed a woman all because he didn't want to spend another few grand for the right sized tow vehicle.

Moral of this lesson: BE WARNED! You idiots out there that know you are over limits or running too small size tow rigs, PRAY you never get in an accident!

If you have any questions about this, I know the whole story and would be happy to share if any of you want to know more.

i have only heard of instances where they pull you over to check to see ifyou are towing out of class....like in CA...more than 15,000 gvwr on your 5th wheel, and you only have a class C license, then they will get you

towing overweight will have consequences should you get into an accident. I don't know of ANY insurance company that will spend the money to pay off your claim if you have exceeded your vehicles gcwr......they look for ANYTHING to not pay a claim...that is what they do, as they are in the business to make money, not give it away.....any technicality, and they will claim you are not covered..

do people tow overweight? all the time....some have had accidents...... i found this on glamisdunes.com.....

THAT'S SOME DEEP SH!T DOG !!! I think I'll check mine .. before newton or murphy get into my life ! :banghead:

if you guys are going crazywith the big fifthwheels i have a suggestion.

look for a semi ,you can find used semis fairly cheap .espeacially lease turn in from larger freight companies.

they have beds tvs stand up bunks the whole gammit and the smaller hp trucks usually have a 9 speed in them easy to shift.

and go buy a half ton pickup you could probably get both for the same price of a new f350 . that is overloaded before you drive your toys in. some folks thats to much truck. but with the short noses and the 9 speed trans they are easy to operate. garuntee you cant overload that truck with a 40 or 45 foot fifth wheel toy hauler. the bunk is a great place for a bounce room for the kids. they have fridges for them kind of like a micro mo home in the back with the new sleepers these days.

keep in mind if you find one at 750,000 miles simply ask if its had an inframe major on the motor. you can even get a warranty on your rebiuld from cat or cummins . if you find one you like that doesnt ,make a deal with them. its common to say "ok ill buy this rig but i want brakes and an inframe done on to first". make sure you got new tires most do already or really good tread.

and another cool thing is you yank the giant fifth wheel off the back put a rv fifth on the very end of the frame and you have a rear deck area large enough to hold a rhino!! you dont need to keep it between the axels cause a dual rear axel is rated for 34,000 pounds on that monster a single is rated at 20,000 lbs. you cant overload it with a toy hauler just a suggestion.

like commercial busses the trannies and axels were desighned to go 100,000,000 miles you pulling a fly weight in comparison to whe its desighned for you should be golden.

there are companies that sell red fleet returns blue all kinds of different colors . and if you register it as a mo home and not full weight capacity you dont need ifta or anything so reg is reduced big time !!

just thought you should know :banghead:

Edited by barefoot bob

good idea there bob.....however...there are places i like to camp that a 2wd PETERbuilt can't get to.....

well of course it doesnt work for every one. im limited with my set up as well. but for off roading like dunes barstow desert baja its an awsome set up. for state parks not so good but a guy that buys a 40 or 45 foot fifth wheel most times aint goin those places with it anywase..

Thanks for all the input. I've decided to purchase the 2008 Ford F450 PSD. They made me a very sweet deal on a purchase. It has all the bells and whistles that I wanted with the exception of the 4 auxillary switches. The one I'm buying is white w/stone color interior, navigation, 12" DVD system, 4x4 with all the electric gizmos that come along with it. It's rated at a whopping 24,500 pound 5th wheel towing capacity. And as I was talking with someone the other day *Pete*, if I'm over that limit, I really need to re-think my duning life. I'm having Johnnie Walker install an air ride (4 bag), 25k hitch in the bed after the Linex is sprayed on. So the season kick off will be a nice maiden voyage for it.

It was ordered today and will be arriving in Arizona for pick up next Saturday. Will post up pics as soon as I get them, which should be tomorrow or Friday.

Thanks for all the input. I've decided to purchase the 2008 Ford F450 PSD. They made me a very sweet deal on a purchase. It has all the bells and whistles that I wanted with the exception of the 4 auxillary switches. The one I'm buying is white w/stone color interior, navigation, 12" DVD system, 4x4 with all the electric gizmos that come along with it. It's rated at a whopping 24,500 pound 5th wheel towing capacity. And as I was talking with someone the other day *Pete*, if I'm over that limit, I really need to re-think my duning life. I'm having Johnnie Walker install an air ride (4 bag), 25k hitch in the bed after the Linex is sprayed on. So the season kick off will be a nice maiden voyage for it.

It was ordered today and will be arriving in Arizona for pick up next Saturday. Will post up pics as soon as I get them, which should be tomorrow or Friday.

:laughoff: Yep, if you go over that limit, you need need to seriously rethink your duning lifestyle. :laughing::laughoff:

Congrats, Ash. Post some pics when you get it home. :laughoff:

I have alway's gotten alittle confused on all these numbers and to what they need to add up to.

So if someone can please explain to me what we are legally allowed weight wise into the trailer that would be great help Thanks.

Pulling 5th wheel with a 06 F-350 diesel.I think the max on the ford is 16000 :laughing:

Model Type Axle Weight #Axle Hitch Weight GVWR Payload Fresh Water Grey Water Black Wat

CR3705 5th 7315 lb. 3 2375 lb. 16000 lb. 6000 lb. 150 gal. 50 gal. 50 gal

I have alway's gotten alittle confused on all these numbers and to what they need to add up to.

So if someone can please explain to me what we are legally allowed weight wise into the trailer that would be great help Thanks.

Pulling 5th wheel with a 06 F-350 diesel.I think the max on the ford is 16000 :undecided:

Model Type Axle Weight #Axle Hitch Weight GVWR Payload Fresh Water Grey Water Black Wat

CR3705 5th 7315 lb. 3 2375 lb. 16000 lb. 6000 lb. 150 gal. 50 gal. 50 gal

ok danny ill bite

the easiest way to do this is fully load your trailer. with your dune toys ,clothes , tools, the whole gammit .go to a scale house and weigh it .now compare the numbers to your gvw if your WEIGHED NUMBER is lower. your safe for the TRAILER.( gvw is gross vehicle weight it on your trailer tag)

now the truck .you need to find out what your maximum towable weight is for the truck. your total allowable weight for the hitch. now you have to check the rating on your tires cause you modified them. you should have e rated tires on that truck. also you need to ask whoever made those wheels the max weight they can hold cause you modified them. if the hitch wheels and tires match the rating of the trucks towing capacity.

actually its quite easy call the guy who sold you the rims to get the rating for that info. check the tires it will say load range and a letter. call the place that installed your hitch. and your max towing capacity for the truck is in your manual.

now if the modifications are matched to the trucks total pulling capacity. you need to go to the scale with your fully loaded setup and first weigh the front axel of the truck. check your manual weight ok . now move to your truck rear axel. check the max rear axel weight ( its in your manual) to what the scale saise your weight actually is. now pull your trailer on and weigh the weight on the trailer axel combo, make sure its in spec.

now that is the way the semi drivers do it but they are much longer than you so you have to find a scale house with an axel scale ( there short) and after the indavidaul axels are weighed it gives you an overall weight.

and that my dear is how you acurately and directly make sure your vehicle weights are in order.

that will tell you if your legal or not :beerpint:

Edited by barefoot bob

sweet setup....do you get exhaust on your trailer?

richard thats so 2 decades ago . these newer diesels are computerised. and the old ones all the way back to 87 came smokeless unless you turned them up.

they maybe 300 hp on the small ones but they have like 800 ft pounds of tourqe there biult to haul 80,000 pounds under full load with no smoke. a fifth wheel toy hauler fully loaded is like a pimple on its butt.

and if you dont turn them up you can get 8-10 mpg just by keeping your foor out of it